1920-35 Butterfly Conversion

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This could have been from the Brunswick factory, but I haven't seen a 2-piece Brunswick joint done like this. It came from a source that had Rambows and also a lot of 1942-60 Brunswick Hoppe Pros, apparently brought home from the shop by an employee (my speculation). It arrived in a 1950's Brunswick tube with brief repair instructions (repairs were never done). The problem was a 6" split from the bottom of the butt on both sides that probably resulted from someone removing weight and forcing a dowel in that was too wide.

I added weight, repaired the butt and refinished with French polish:

Attachments

• Butterfly-Before.jpg
    Butterfly-Before.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 670
  • Butterfly-After.jpg
    Butterfly-After.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 682
  • Butterfly-Joint Ferrule.jpg
    Butterfly-Joint Ferrule.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 693
  • Butterfly-Full lth.jpg
    Butterfly-Full lth.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 675

mjkeil62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful cue, I love the old the butterfly splice ones. I don't think they get enough attention. If they are restoration projects or conversions.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the top veneer on these is often purple. I'm glad it turned out to be brown.

I took it out today and it hits solid and is very controllable. With the thin shaft I was surprised.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool.

I dig antique butterflies. I think they are under-appreciated.

I don't believe it is a Brunswick. But I could be wrong.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
That's the og radial pin....from the way back gap. Before dowop and velveeta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool.

I dig antique butterflies. I think they are under-appreciated.

I don't believe it is a Brunswick. But I could be wrong.

The main reason I thought it was Brunswick was that it came from the estate of a possible Wisconsin Brunswick employee. Everything else out of that estate was Brunswick-related. This cue came in a Brunswick mailing tube and was marked for repair - there were two Brunswick brochures in the tube as well. No telling how it got in that tube, but I would assume Brunswick thought the necessary repairs weren't worth doing and were sending it back in the tube.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's understandable. For most websites I export my images as 'large' and they get compressed down to a perfect size for viewing. With this site my export size doesn't seem to predict what size the images will end up as. I'll keep trying to figure it out.