Is this a double hit?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks good to me also, the cue tip was pulled back before a second hit, that hesitation that may look like a double hit looks to be the cueball jumping up a bit before the follow takes. On a double hit the cueball would go faster forward and not have that pause where the spin takes grab of the cloth. Also in most double hit fouls with follow, the ceuball will be traveling at the same speed or faster than the object ball, and the object ball clearly leaves the frame well before the cueball.

Here is how you can tell in the video. look at the gap between the two balls, place your mouse on the edge of the cueball, then move it forward to just about the length of the gap. Keep it there and play the video. If the tip does not go past the cursor, it is a good hit. I'll tell you now that I did that, and it was a good hit.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good hit. The cue ball action and speed was natural for the shot. If the cue ball ran forward abnormally fast it is a double hit. If it dribbles forward after a delay like a normal top English shot, it’s good.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good hit. The cue ball action and speed was natural for the shot. If the cue ball ran forward abnormally fast it is a double hit. If it dribbles forward after a delay like a normal top English shot, it’s good.

Not true at all. While most double hits will cause the cue ball to pick up speed, I can know that it’s possible to double hit without really gaining speed.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not true at all. While most double hits will cause the cue ball to pick up speed, I can know that it’s possible to double hit without really gaining speed.

I come here to learn and engage. Do you mind elaborating?

I suspect there are times where everything reacts naturally and only a super slow motion camera could detect a double hit. In those scenarios I 100% accept a spotter/ref calling that a good hit.

kmorgan

Good hit. Cue ball bounced back before rolling forward. A double hit would have contacted the cue ball on it's bounce and sent it forward immediately.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Watched it several times. Good hit. Mike Massey does a side arm wrist stroke when balls are way closer than that by the way.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Watched it several times. Good hit. Mike Massey does a side arm wrist stroke when balls are way closer than that by the way.

That’s called a fouetté shot and many foul shooting it by cb hitting the ferrule.....doesn’t need any kind of side arm action technically speaking, very hard to do with a spiney/ stiff shaft

Best technique for executing close quarter shots is called a short finish......bar none and it’s very easy to accomplish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slim123

Good hit a double hit will show hesitation in the stroke, we have all done this in the beginning or in a nervous moment