1944 World Championship 3-C

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The attached picture went by on Ebay in a January 1st, 1945 Life Magazine. Ponzi had won the straight pool championship in 1943. I met Joe Procita at the Palace around 1967 when I was almost steered into a one pocket game with him. I saw Fitzpatrick play later, probably in San Jose.
CropperCapture[114].jpg

From the 1970 US 3-C championships program:

CropperCapture[115].jpg

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
The attached picture went by on Ebay in a January 1st, 1945 Life Magazine. Ponzi had won the straight pool championship in 1943. I met Joe Procita at the Palace around 1967 when I was almost steered into a one pocket game with him. I saw Fitzpatrick play later, probably in San Jose.
View attachment 488306

From the 1970 US 3-C championships program:

View attachment 488307

It looks like Cochran won this event, was this the year they played, 'optional ball'?

Joe Procita was a good friend and early mentor of mine, along with Ernie Presto. Joe lived in Chicago when I started playing in 1964, and until he passed away. Ernie and I took care of Joe's funeral arrangements.

When Joe gave me lessons, we would play a 25 point game afterwards. One time he beat me 25-0 in 5 innings! He ran five consecutive 5's!

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Rule question

Howdy Mr 3cushion I have a rule question. My cue ball is frozen to the red, I understand where they spot - am I allowed to kick into the red if I don't want to spot em up? Thank you in advance.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... My cue ball is frozen to the red, I understand where they spot - am I allowed to kick into the red if I don't want to spot em up? Thank you in advance.
Yes, it is your choice. It is only at straight rail that the balls must spot if your cue ball is frozen to a ball.