I bought Poolology

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I find Stan to be full of himself and goes on and on preaching the esoteric. I scroll through(fast forward) his verbose videos and cherry pick. In golf we call a lot of adjustments “woo’s”...works only once...like golf there is too much out there on-line and without good hand/eye coordination you might as well be tossing handgernades or horseshoes...sorry guys and gals but that expensive over-inlaid multi-colored cue and leather case might get you through the front door but that’s where it ends...

Last edited:

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find Stan to be full of himself and goes on and on preaching the esoteric. I scroll through(fast forward) his verbose videos and cherry pick. In golf we call a lot of adjustments “woo’s”...works only once...like golf there is too much out there on-line and without good hand/eye coordination you might as well be tossing handgernades or horseshoes...sorry guys and gals but that expensive over-inlaid multi-colored cue and leather case might get you through the front door but that’s where it ends...

What exactly do you mean about the "esoteric"?

Not that I disagree with you about Stan, but he can back it up on the table and to me, that tilts the scale for me to take him seriously.

I listened to one of his videos where he said "it can be explained OBJECTIVELY" and that's where I can start to accept or understand where he is coming from, because he is a teacher and I too have found its very difficult to explain method to someone when they get down on a shot, especially when you try to explain, the concept and method or idea is understood, but then they get into address wrong right out of the gate and I either stop them or let them shoot, and my mind is racing to get ready for more explanations that I know is going to open up another can of worms.

From their perspective, I can see or understand how it gets frustrating and then of course, they just go off on their own direction or dismiss me because at the end of the day, most people want to have "fun"......but they want to get better.....BUT they don't want to work hard at it which means correct aproach.....BUT they want to get better, so I ask the most important question in pool: analyze......COMPLETE:

CONJECTURE: what level of pool do you want to attain and be honest.

FACT: as good as I can be: analyze.......COMPLETE:

FACT: NON SEQUITUR

2+2=5

2+2=5

2+2=5

I think where Stan crosses the line, is when CTE can be explained but ghost ball can't be seen, contact points are too small, angles are too hard to judge etc etc as if they are garbage and CTE is clean.

That's fine by me because I got enough nerve to say I can shoot out of the corner of my undoninant eye, strictly using the limit of peripheral vision just short of shooting blind and deliver a shot I can't seem to do "aiming" comfortably and that to me is as objective as it gets imo.

Go try it but I make no guarantee of success. But the attempt should be pretty clear. In your stand up, if you are left eye dominant, right handed, shift your head way to the left and judge the shot line, a zero angle straight in, from the limits of all the way to the right side of your right eye just short of not being able to see the shot itself on the verge of "blind". Now hold that position while getting into address and retain that visual and I guarantee your stroke mechanics and body alignment will be different.....as well as the judgement in visual shotline will be very alien indeed.

Now pull the trigger.

Enjoy

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, when I execute a shot as described by shooting on the limits of my undoninant right eye, I make a dead square contact on the object ball, give or take a hair of "square" in reality but certainly "close" enough, but when I shoot this particular way below center or above, another very interesting and more important effect occurs that I simply struggle with when shooting more conventionally down a comfortable visual line and that is:

The cb stays on the surface of the table for most of the time after launch point. This has tremendous value when needed. The cb getting up in the air is a big problem for certain shot requirements.

I don't know if this means I'll figure out a more comfortable way one day to achieve the same effect, I don't care really because I feel comfortable with the shot now, as alien as it is, but im just trying to make a point about what aiming actually is and is it necessary and that's my personal contention as a contribution to "pool" and another alternative.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remind to pay attention. I got poolology shortly after it came out. I didn’t pay close attention that in zone A the lines angle( like 50 slants to 45). I can’t believe I didn’t notice that lol

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Remind to pay attention. I got poolology shortly after it came out. I didn’t pay close attention that in zone A the lines angle( like 50 slants to 45). I can’t believe I didn’t notice that lol

Please PM me if you have the first edition, as stated on copyright page. If so, I owe you the updated edition, which has a couple of minor changes and additional info that allows for more accuracy. Also a chapter titled "How it All Works".

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
For anyone that has bought Poolology (it received it as a gift) and has questions or comments, please share. I post YouTube clips by request, so if there's anything that needs clarification or shown by example just let me know. All feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
I will post this publicly, maybe others will have good responses as well as Brian. I have been using poology for a couple months now. I was a HAMB person before but was never confident in my aiming/shots. No other aiming systems have resonated with me. Poology does.
Here is my question:
I have trouble with some of the fractional aiming points. I have never used fractional aiming before. The ones that should be the easiest, I sometimes have trouble with. 1/2 ball and 3/4 ball. Seems like I often hit the 1/2 ball to thin and the 3/4 to thick.

Any advice other than what I am already doing, that is, shooting shot after shot trying to fine tune it all? Any tricks to "finding" those aiming points on the OB?

Sometimes I think it may be my stroke and/or head/eye position. So I do work on those areas as well. I do all of stroke drills and such and try to pay close attention to it all.

I play on a very tight table, not much room for error. Thanks

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I will post this publicly, maybe others will have good responses as well as Brian. I have been using poology for a couple months now. I was a HAMB person before but was never confident in my aiming/shots. No other aiming systems have resonated with me. Poology does.
Here is my question:
I have trouble with some of the fractional aiming points. I have never used fractional aiming before. The ones that should be the easiest, I sometimes have trouble with. 1/2 ball and 3/4 ball. Seems like I often hit the 1/2 ball to thin and the 3/4 to thick.

Any advice other than what I am already doing, that is, shooting shot after shot trying to fine tune it all? Any tricks to "finding" those aiming points on the OB?

Sometimes I think it may be my stroke and/or head/eye position. So I do work on those areas as well. I do all of stroke drills and such and try to pay close attention to it all.

Is it primarily left or right cuts, or both? And does it occur only in a certain area on the table, a certain zone or particular ob position?

The reason I ask about right or left cuts is because there is some great info here on AZ about eye dominance and shot alignment. The reason I ask about a particular ob position is because the system values are most accurate in the heart/mid-range of each position value. That's when the ob is being targeted closest to center pocket. As the ob position begins bordering an adjacent zone, the ball is being targeted left or right of center pocket, depending on the cut.

Take notes of the missed shots and try to determine if there is a consistent commonality occurring, like overcutting or undercutting shots where the ob is close to bordering another zone. It typically only becomes a factor on longer shots where the margin of error is less than about 1°. If you can learn to recognize any consistent occurrence, then you can program your brain to deal with that situation every time it happens to come up.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is my question:

my 2 cents would be if you are consistently hitting the 1/2 ball too thin
then aim a smidgeon (thats alitlle bit :D ) to the inside of the edge of the object ball
for the 3/4 hit which you hit to thick
aim a smideon to the outside of where you see 3/4
jmho

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shite! Gimme back my money!

loljk

I just started reading it, and after a few pages in, I can already say it's worth the $6 I spent on Amazon for the e-book.

Truth be told, my understanding of fractional aiming was not as good as I thought it was. But it is now something I'll be adding to my tool box.

I would recommend to anyone.

A few questions....

It's been 2 months...what are your thoughts on the book? Did you apply it to your practice schedule/routine? Any improvements?

Do you have to be a CTE user to utilize the info?

I'm in the market for a new book and thinking about giving this a go.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
A few questions....

It's been 2 months...what are your thoughts on the book? Did you apply it to your practice schedule/routine? Any improvements?

Do you have to be a CTE user to utilize the info?

I'm in the market for a new book and thinking about giving this a go.

Not sure if BeiberLvr is going to reply, so I'll offer these words....

It's a system best used adapted by players that aim through the CB to a place where you want the CB to end up. The fractional aim points simply go beyond using ghostball because the OB is used as a reference for determining where to aim. The aim line passes through the ghostball to a more defined aim point on or near the OB.

Obviously my opinion should be considered biased since it's my book, but there are some non-biased reviews on Amazon if you want other opinions on it. One thing i must say is that the system is geared toward players that aim from directly behind the CB, not from an offset or pivoted angle like with CTE. So being a CTE user has no relation to utilizing what's in the book.

You can also check out the Poolology YouTube Channel to see if it's something you'd be interested in.

Thanks.