Why we miss banks: the short bank

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mort
thats a great thread and post because i think its one of the most common misunderstanding
regarding the 2:1 angle for banks
we disagree on systems and diamonds but thats a different discussion for another time

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Regarding the CB/OB setup in the video, we can see this is a slight left cut to bank the ball. Left CB edge to A with a right sweep is the CTE solution.

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
mort
thats a great thread and post because i think its one of the most common misunderstanding
regarding the 2:1 angle for banks
we disagree on systems and diamonds but thats a different discussion for another time

Thanks for the reply bbb. I’d be happy to discuss systems and diamonds some time.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good tip. I think most experienced bankers use the diamonds to get the basic line, then tweak it with speed and spin.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Good tip. I think most experienced bankers use the diamonds to get the basic line, then tweak it with speed and spin.

Agree. I like to start with the real geometric line! A rolling OB may make it to the pocket more often than not with these diamond lines, as a rolling ball opens the bank angle. Speed will shorten it up again. Also these diamond lines change as the bank angle widens. Again, why I like geometric lines. Consistency. Very wide angles begin to make the OB skid off the rail, so added speed is helpful to keep things on track there.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agree. I like to start with the real geometric line! A rolling OB may make it to the pocket more often than not with these diamond lines, as a rolling ball opens the bank angle. Speed will shorten it up again. Also these diamond lines change as the bank angle widens. Again, why I like geometric lines. Consistency. Very wide angles begin to make the OB skid off the rail, so added speed is helpful to keep things on track there.

A lot of players don't realize the effects on wider cushion angles. I mean how speed on a narrow bank angle shortens/tightens the bank, but on wider angles speed actually opens the bank up more.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
A lot of players don't realize the effects on wider cushion angles. I mean how speed on a narrow bank angle shortens/tightens the bank, but on wider angles speed actually opens the bank up more.

Yes! A tip I picked up from the beard!