Well...I'm a ghostball user...

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually was going to post this last month, but wanted to give it time to make sure it stuck.

It has.

Turns out I was using GB incorrectly when I tried it in the past. I honestly don't even remember what made me try it again, but I'm glad I did.

If anyone has any questions related to GB, feel free to ask.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you realize you have sold your soul to the devil/duckie
but you should say contact patch..:lmao:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
of course i am kidding
whatever aimong system works for you
GREAT ,,,:thumbup:

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually was going to post this last month, but wanted to give it time to make sure it stuck.

It has.

Turns out I was using GB incorrectly when I tried it in the past. I honestly don't even remember what made me try it again, but I'm glad I did.

Just wondering, what were you doing incorrectly and what did you do to correct it ?

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It has.

Welcome back to 3D land!

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a fraction sort myself but I'm glad you have that ghostball corrected. But the question for here in the aiming conversation section is can you see the ghost's edge? Does a 3-D vapor have an edge? Inquiring ducks want to know.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you look straight through the ghostball center, where the CB center has to be to make the shot, you find the basic fractional aim points located on or near the OB. It seems that it would be easier to aim at one of these definite points, rather than estimate on the cloth where the ghostball must be. Then again, maybe that's how ghostball aiming works.....you aim through the ghostball to a specific fractional aim point....I don't know.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look straight through the ghostball center, where the CB center has to be to make the shot, you find the basic fractional aim points located on or near the OB. It seems that it would be easier to aim at one of these definite points, rather than estimate on the cloth where the ghostball must be. Then again, maybe that's how ghostball aiming works.....you aim through the ghostball to a specific fractional aim point....I don't know.

I think that's overcomplicating things, and not how MY mind works, though if it works for some that's great too.

Think of how a little kid learns. They are taught the "ghost ball." They aim what they think is the ghost ball, and miss. So they make slight adjustments until they pocket the ball. So in their mind's eye, they're aiming at the ghost ball. They are also not burdened by other thoughts that fill our minds as adults, thus they have more "computing" capacity.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Too logical... I think you know. :wink:

Pool is different than swinging a stick at a moving object.
The cue ball is moving to contact a stationary object ball.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It has.

Beiber has just left the building. In other, less surprising news, we have just learned that Liberace was actually dating the entire Dallas Cowboy's cheerleader squad while still maintaining his flamboyant facade.

What happened, Beiber?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that's overcomplicating things, and not how MY mind works, though if it works for some that's great too.

Think of how a little kid learns. They are taught the "ghost ball." They aim what they think is the ghost ball, and miss. So they make slight adjustments until they pocket the ball. So in their mind's eye, they're aiming at the ghost ball. They are also not burdened by other thoughts that fill our minds as adults, thus they have more "computing" capacity.

That makes sense, the trial and error involved in the process. And that's why many players have to hit thousands of shots before they get a good feel for it.

Seems less complicated to show a kid like this: Stand behind the OB and line it straight into the pocket with the tip of your cue stick resting on the cloth behind the OB, where the center of the ghostball is. Then, keeping the tip planted there, rotate the cue around to where it's hovering directly over the CB. From that viewpoint the tip will be pointing directly at the appropriate fractional aim point. Maybe a few hundred shots using that physical method would help a new player develop a feel for pocketing balls in a substantially shorter amount of time than conventional trial and error. The brain sees the correct shot line every time, instead of most of the time, which should speed up the programming process, the motor skills needed to be consistent.

What's funny is that I don't remember "learning" how to shoot balls, so I can't speak for any method other than my own experience, the conventional hit and miss method of trial and error I suppose.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beiber: You flip flop on these aiming systems more than anyone, ha ha.

Now, if I remember correctly, its been about 3 years since you said the last aiming system would make you an A player in 6 months. What's the new timeline to an A now? :grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On close shots with shallow angles, I've been using the reflections of the table lights on the tops of the cue ball and the object ball as aiming points.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
On close shots with shallow angles, I've been using the reflections of the table lights on the tops of the cue ball and the object ball as aiming points.

On long shots with steep angles, I'll bet you use ball shadows from the table lights as aiming points. :smile:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well I'm glad you brought this up ,, several yrs back playing league pool had a male player that bounced back and forth between 2-3 for yrs with several teams all who had good players ,, I would show him shot lines , ghost ball and he never could hit the right spot ,, then one day while I was practicing I happened to notice that light reflections were almost dead on the shot line ,,
The next time I saw him I should him that and by mid way of the session he went to a 4 when I told him he went up the guy almost cried he was so happy

Few yrs ago talking to a good short stop player about aiming he tells me he aims by the light I cracked up told him the story he said he had been doing it for yrs ,,

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I'm sorry, I'm gonna sound like a pretentious dick, but, how do you need an aiming system if you play regularly enough to join a pool forum. You shoot enough shots you should be able to play by instinct. I don't need to "aim" to make a ball. I need to "aim" when using English maybe. Is that what is meant by aim?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums