Houle' Shish Kebob, Visual Version

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't watch the video.... some YouTube error... probably my end. ?

I have a buddy that uses shish kebob, taught to him by Tom Simpson I think. He loves it and plays well using it.

Tom's version was the cue skewering version. This is essentially the same version but visual skewering instead.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shish Kebob is one of my favorites that Hal taught me. Here it is in written form from an acquaintance who was able to better put it into words.

The different ways to aim are:

1. On very shallow to slight cuts - 1/2 tip of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue to CENTER of OB- pivot tip back to center of CB - stroke

2. Cut angle beyond slight - ONE TIP (1) of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue to CENTER of OB - pivot tip back to center of CB - stroke

3. Sharper cut angle - ONE TIP (1) of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue 1/2 way between the center of the OB and the edge of the OB - pivot tip back to center of CB - stroke

4. Acute cut angle - ONE TIP (1) of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue to the EDGE of the OB - pivot back to center of CB - stroke

Start out with the CB/OB about 12 - 24" apart when you're first learning all of the angles, aim points, tip offset, etc. in the beginning. As you gradually figure things out and get used to it you can increase the distance. Also go from a very shallow cut to more extreme gradually in order to see when and where you make your adjustments.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shish Kebob is one of my favorites that Hal taught me. Here it is in written form from an acquaintance who was able to better put it into words.

The different ways to aim are:

1. On very shallow to slight cuts - 1/2 tip of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue to CENTER of OB- pivot tip back to center of CB - stroke

2. Cut angle beyond slight - ONE TIP (1) of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue to CENTER of OB - pivot tip back to center of CB - stroke

3. Sharper cut angle - ONE TIP (1) of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue 1/2 way between the center of the OB and the edge of the OB - pivot tip back to center of CB - stroke

4. Acute cut angle - ONE TIP (1) of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue to the EDGE of the OB - pivot back to center of CB - stroke

Start out with the CB/OB about 12 - 24" apart when you're first learning all of the angles, aim points, tip offset, etc. in the beginning. As you gradually figure things out and get used to it you can increase the distance. Also go from a very shallow cut to more extreme gradually in order to see when and where you make your adjustments.

An issue with pivot amounts is tip size. There are large tips and small tips. The visual version circumvents tip diameters and bridge distances.

Stan Shuffett

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An issue with pivot amounts is tip size. There are large tips and small tips. The visual version circumvents tip diameters and bridge distances.

Stan Shuffett

Thanks, Stan. I'll check it out when I get home. Damn work computer won't let me view youtube

hogie583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man oh man... i need a bigger tool. Box. How well does it work on banks? I love this stuff. It sounds like a close cousin to 90/90.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom's version was the cue skewering version. This is essentially the same version but visual skewering instead.

Stan Shuffett

Sounds cool. I'll pass along to my friend. I don't believe he's on AZ, but he may prefer this instead of the pivoting version.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Stan for sharing all the info!!!

Would inside sweep work with shish kebob?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you very much for sharing this Stan. Please mark me down as interested in the 'part II' video.

This is exactly the system I have developed on my own/separately after being shown a CTE pivot. I only knew one reference point so I improvised.

I did not know it was shiskabob. I never even heard of shiskabob until a few weeks or month ago. I posted about this in the ferrule/tip aiming thread.

I have a question about it. I started playing pool thinking about contact point. So when I do this I align to the contact point instead of the fractional points. Doesn't that take the 'gaps' out of it? Assuming you can find the correct contact point, that is.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much for sharing this Stan. Please mark me down as interested in the 'part II' video.

This is exactly the system I have developed on my own/separately after being shown a CTE pivot. I only knew one reference point so I improvised.

I did not know it was shiskabob. I never even heard of shiskabob until a few weeks or month ago. I posted about this in the ferrule/tip aiming thread.

I have a question about it. I started playing pool thinking about contact point. So when I do this I align to the contact point instead of the fractional points. Doesn't that take the 'gaps' out of it? Assuming you can find the correct contact point, that is.

Gaps? The system is very good but it is a one line system. Two lines are always superior to one for alignment.

Thanks for your continued interest!

Stan Shuffett

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gaps? The system is very good but it is a one line system. Two lines are always superior to one for alignment.

Thanks for your continued interest!

Stan Shuffett

Because it has limited aiming points I assumed it must have gaps. If not, then I'll stop aiming at the contact point and just aim at the reference points. :)