Ferrell aiming

Rono8275

Registered
There is a video on YouTube by a guy who uses the sides of his Ferrell to aim ALL his shots. Cut to the left, the left side of the Ferrell points to the aim point. Cut to the right, the right side of the ferrell points to the aim point.
Anyone else tried it?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a video on YouTube by a guy who uses the sides of his Ferrell to aim ALL his shots. Cut to the left, the left side of the Ferrell points to the aim point. Cut to the right, the right side of the ferrell points to the aim point.
Anyone else tried it?

He is lining the ferrell edge to the contact point. I could only get it to work on a small range of angles, from about 15 to 22 degrees (a 3/4 ball hit to a 5/8 ball hit when using fractional aiming), unless the ball was within a couple of feet or so of the pocket and accuracy wasn't too important. From 1/2 table and farther, I found that thinner shots, angles greater than 22 degrees, ended up being hit too thick. So I had to start picking a contact point that would overcut the shot by 2 or 3 inches to make it work. On thicker shots you have to pick a contact point that will cause an undercut. If you're good at recognizing and keeping the contact point in focus, it takes some adjustments to get it working on thinner and thicker shots.

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else tried it?

I aimed this way right before I quit for 10 years. I was making every shot to the point where pool got boring. Then I posted it on AZB and everyone told me it didn't work and suddenly I couldn't make a ball with it. :)

So I took 10 years off.

Now I'm playing again and I haven't started aiming with the edges yet because I've discovered pivot systems. They are much more fun to practice. But every now and then when someone starts mouthing off I go back to aiming that way and roast 'em.

You should try it. I think that it's good although there are some 'in-between' spots where you'll miss balls on a tighter table. Your brain will compensate some for that the more you use it.

If you start aiming the center and the edges at different fractional points you'll get smaller gaps. Someone on here (can't remember who) posted a long time ago that they put little black dots on their ferrule so that if they aligned with a center dot they could reliably find the points between the center of the cue and the edges.

You can do a 'double the distance' style of aiming where you aim the center of the cue at the contact point and notice where the ferrule hits the center of the object ball. Then you put that spot on the contact point and shoot through the center of the cueball.

It's geometrically correct however it doesn't account for throw, deflection, etc... So you'll want to use backhand english to compensate.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
A gimmick that Shane Van Boening (top USA player) uses..

Yes, and he's pulling your leg.
He also said he uses different parts of the shaft.
And that different shafts have different aiming points.
Yeah, sure.
I bet he aims the edge of the middle of the shaft to the ball or spot.
How do you even see that ?
He also said contact point on the cue ball. Yeah, sure.
Aim a part of a shaft to the contact point while you are down.
Go ahead, let us know how that is done.

Try aiming the side of the ferrule on thin cuts.

Shane also will teach you his racking secrets for a few bills .

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is Ferrell aiming:
ferrell.jpg

You can experiment with different tricks for aiming. Eventually you won't need them because the shot will just "look right." That comes from playing enough that your subconscious takes over the aiming process. Some don't seem to understand how this works and call it "guessing," but it's not.

Edit: There may continue to be certain shots that give you trouble longer term. I've used Brian's Poolology for seeing back cut angles better, and it works like a charm.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is Ferrell aiming:
View attachment 482221

You can experiment with different tricks for aiming. Eventually you won't need them because the shot will just "look right." That comes from playing enough that your subconscious takes over the aiming process. Some don't seem to understand how this works and call it "guessing," but it's not.

I agree 100%. With enough repetition, any trick or gimmick can get to the point of subconscious control. It would be no different than perfecting a flawed stroke -- repeat it enough times and your brain will eventually make it work consistently.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Anyone else tried it?

broad answer....yes

specifically no...i actually look at the end of the shaft meaning the tip and its sides i mean the ferrules right there but focus is on the tip period.

generally speaking yes side of shaft to my point i look at but specifically speaking again.....i'm not looking at the contact point nor lining it up with the side of my shaft/fer/tip whatever.

personally i havent used the cb as my starting reference or reference of anything at all in over a decade besides referencing the CB outermost edge when shooting basically a 90 cut shot esp when its across the width of the table (closer visually)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also cast my vote for a solid PSR and dedicated practice. Given time and effort you'll get to the point that your PSR will put your body into a position that will accurately and reliably send the CB to your desired destination.

The "systems" can help you get started but eventually you won't need them.

Lou Figueroa

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, and he's pulling your leg.
He also said he uses different parts of the shaft.
And that different shafts have different aiming points.
Yeah, sure.
I bet he aims the edge of the middle of the shaft to the ball or spot.
How do you even see that ?
He also said contact point on the cue ball. Yeah, sure.
Aim a part of a shaft to the contact point while you are down.
Go ahead, let us know how that is done.

Try aiming the side of the ferrule on thin cuts.

Shane also will teach you his racking secrets for a few bills .

Well, if the PSR is consistent, then any method could be a consistent point of reference that allows a reality to happen vs the visual not making not sense in relativity and of course "feel" being the experience equaling "tweak" to be the final sequence to launch point.

Perception breaks down according to distance and other factors. It can all be measured accurately from the player perspective to take feel more and more out of the equation but it's a arduous task for sure, but that's the price for ultimate consistency.

Enough has been said on the horizontal plane but not nearly enough about the all important vertical plane or "plain". Not sure which spelling is correct.

Player distance from cb, pitch and grip positions is a system that needs to be addressed, broken down and explained and then systematized.

Can't someone else do it? Ok ok, I'll do it. Jeez. I smell another major headache for months to come. Gulp.

Pray for me people, pray to whatever God you are employed to. Mine is money and girls but neither answer my prayers the way I prefer. Oh how yee work in mysterious ways, other than the simple obvious of stealing or having hollywood good looks.

Yes but hollywood has ugly people.

Yeah Paul, hollywood ugly, not ugly ugly.

Sigh😢

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
This does not work for all shots, but like BC21 stated, it works extremely well for certain angles.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
This In My Opinion is the best way to line up on all shots.
Shane's method is just this..he just explains it in a confusing manner.:smile:

Gimmick my a$$.

What ..you guys pocket balls better then Shane.;)

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
This In My Opinion is the best way to line up on all shots.
Shane's method is just this..he just explains it in a confusing manner.:smile:

Gimmick my a$$.

What ..you guys pocket balls better then Shane.;)

I disagree that this is the best way to aim. Firstly, obviously the side of the ferrule to the contact point only works in a limited range. Then, as the shot gets thinner and thinner, you end up aiming at noting, I fail to see how this is better than any other method. For the thicker shots (than can be made with the side of the ferrule) you need different spots on the ferrule tip with which to aim at the contact point. So you have to memorize a huge number of compensations or hit by feel, in which case it's no better than anything else.

If you want to aim something solid at something else that is solid, back of ball (quarter system) aiming is the way to go. For imaginary aiming there is all the others.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I disagree that this is the best way to aim. Firstly, obviously the side of the ferrule to the contact point only works in a limited range. Then, as the shot gets thinner and thinner, you end up aiming at noting, I fail to see how this is better than any other method. For the thicker shots (than can be made with the side of the ferrule) you need different spots on the ferrule tip with which to aim at the contact point. So you have to memorize a huge number of compensations or hit by feel, in which case it's no better than anything else.

If you want to aim something solid at something else that is solid, back of ball (quarter system) aiming is the way to go. For imaginary aiming there is all the others.

Ohhhh but what about imaginary back of ball!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The best way to line up a shot is the center of the cueball to the cuing line.

Side of the ferrule is all gimmick .
People claim they use it but actually don't.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
How do you aim at the back of a ball when you can't even see the back of a ball ?

(it's on the other side away from you).

????????????????

Actually because it’s a sphere and your head is generally above it’s...and yes you can see the back half partially. (Its edge/eventhorizon)

But bob is just the point in front seen in the event horizon of the balls observed back side

It’s an edge of ball point system not like front of ball trying to pick a spot in a solid wide color field. Bob lives on an arc line and he’s really precise

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
The best way to line up a shot is the center of the cueball to the cuing line.

Side of the ferrule is all gimmick .

People claim they use it but actually don't.

Yes sure the best way to line up a shot that’s gonna squirt away from the tip is to lay my cue on a dam line the ball ain’t even gonna come close to replicating....basically ever except the straight in.

If you rather stare at the bullet instead of the rifle a long tactile aiming and pointing device be my guest but don’t tell me I don’t have all my focus on the shaft side/s or center with a specific spot down table, below the center axis of the ob (except 90 deg ish cuts....tho I can there as well but parallax brings both ball edges in crisp vision so reference off those clear arc points becomes easier at center outermost edge if I want to reference my shaft at my normal point it’s there but is farther behind than the bob mark typically is for the method.)

I’ve explained my methods well, observations and tests and results in the past and shared them freely, I have taught others in person and even some over a mere phone call with a few crude diagrams.....joey gray teaches students his v spot as he calls it it’s the same shit.....and detractions come as merely oh your not actually using your shaft.

Well I’ll be dames I can’t tell the got dam difference between a long wooden cylinder with a leather tip and a small bright white ball many times larger in circumference than the long piece of skinny round tan wood.

This isn’t one of those “no im not dropping my shoulder” even tho video shows I am kinda moments.

If you think Shane’s trolling the pool population like max and cj flat earthing.....your less observant than I’d have ever thought. And if you believe I personally don’t know what I look at and do when I use my eyes.

Then your ignorance gives you great confidence but observes and tells no truths.

It’s bullshit like that why players fear learning. Baseless and opinionated dogma