Here is a neat little device

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran across a YT video of a snooker coach having his student wear this and practicing.
So, since I'm in an endless training period, I had to have one. (hinged range of motion arm brace)

A friend of mine injured his arm and had to wear this brace for a long time. I asked if he still had it and he said he did. I asked if I could have it and he said no problem.

Practiced with this on for a couple of hours. Man, if you don't have your grip right the device will let you know. If you don't have your body alignment correct and your elbow and forearm on the shot line the device will let you know.

Try not to laugh until you have tried it. :)

John

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 875
Last edited:

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
That's a great idea. I've thought about modifying a miter box into a stroke trainer but your find is a much better device that can be used on the table. Thanks for the tip.

Any over/under on how long it takes until 'the Pearl' shows up wearing one?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a great idea. I've thought about modifying a miter box into a stroke trainer but your find is a much better device that can be used on the table. Thanks for the tip.

Any over/under on how long it takes until 'the Pearl' shows up wearing one?

Here is where I got the tip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sycIur0G_w

Just started using it this morning. Have practiced shooting in 90 long straight in shots using center ball (stop shot) and high ball (cue ball following the object ball into the pocket). With my focus on the elbow pivot point of the device and using a grip suggested by many UK Snooker coaches.

About a week ago I started following UK Snooker Coach YouTube video's.
I entered "Hitting from the elbow" in the search window. There's some good stuff out there.

I have never seen a 12' x 6' table. So, it only stands to reason that precision is really important. The UK Snooker Coaches are very open to sharing their knowledge.

I can feel the benefits from using this device. Just hope my lower bicep and brain will remember. Takes time, probably a couple of months.

Have fun out there. :)

John

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d bet the house you won’t find a better price than the $30 eBay price. Don’t waste the gas money, just order it from eBay if you want it:)

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
I have never seen a 12' x 6' table. So, it only stands to reason that precision is really important.
John

Put playing on a 12 x 6 snooker table on your bucket list. You and a few buddies should take a road trip and try potting some balls on one.

CAUTION: It's a humbling experience. On the plus side, if you stop at a few bars on the way back you'll probably recoup the cost of the trip. :)

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool players tend to play better on what is known as a American style snooker table. The cloth usually is more like simonis 860, perhaps 860 in fact but im not sure exactly, the balls are slightly bigger, therefore heavier and ironically, the pockets a fraction smaller......ehhhhh typically. But for sure, the balls are bigger.

Snooker purists do not consider this to be snooker.

A true snooker table has a nap type spongey cloth, and the balls are a bit smaller. With those two factors, now we can talk getting the true humbling experience of informative misses.

I recommend playing a regular pool cue, not a hollowed out light weight popsicle stick.

Mass is your friend.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hitting from the elbow is something I learned to do, but wasn't sure if it was an "accepted" way of playing. Then I saw the ROS video where he recommends playing like that. For me, pocketing balls becomes effortless when I do it right. In my case shooting from the elbow minimizes accidental use of the muscles in the hand and wrist.

I highly recommend that you give it a try. You might not be able to do it properly at first, though. When it clicks in, you might have a thought like, "Oh so this is how you are supposed to pocket balls. I get it now!"

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ehhhh, I like any idea but I think a good exercise is to purposely stand the wrong way and or misalign yourself and try to execute shots with position always in mind. Always.

Study the misses and effects and feel. Yes, I concede, FEEL of the stroke and I guarantee you will learn some valuable things.

This game imo is too hard to shoot straight down a true line for the majority of shots. The right perception and or combination of stance etc etc will produce the straight stroke and purposely getting out of line helps discover things you would never have thought to end up being the solution.

Im out of here. It's been real boys and girls.

Take care. Paultex.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Played on one 30 years ago.

Table was as big as an aircraft carrier.

Humbling experience.

Put playing on a 12 x 6 snooker table on your bucket list. You and a few buddies should take a road trip and try potting some balls on one.

CAUTION: It's a humbling experience. On the plus side, if you stop at a few bars on the way back you'll probably recoup the cost of the trip. :)

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the link.

I certainly would never suggest that someone wear the device in actual play in the field. It's a tool to be used at home on your table.

My intent was to help folks learn to "hit from the elbow". This would be a good training aid for those students that try to shoot with their whole arm. Mike Davis comes to mind. Works for him though. :)

John

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is probably a dumb question
but here goes
if the brace lets you flex and extend the elbow joint what stops you from dropping your elbow and extending alittle more
also if your upper arm is bowed in or out the brace wont tell you that
so why is it si helpfull ?
what am i missing ?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is probably a dumb question
but here goes
if the brace lets you flex and extend the elbow joint what stops you from dropping your elbow and extending alittle more
also if your upper arm is bowed in or out the brace wont tell you that
so why is it si helpfull ?
what am i missing ?

Hey Larry

You would have to put the brace on and hit some balls to feel the benefits it offers.

It positions (due to it's design) the arm and wrist to close from the elbow down naturally with no tension. You can drop your elbow if you wish, the goal is when you do drop your elbow after contact with the cue ball that the whole arm, wrist, forearm and upper arm are all on the shot line (your elbow will finish on the shot line). You may have to adjust your stance and grip to allow for this movement. You let the brace do the shooting, your brain will take care of the rest.

I have been working with it for almost a week to test it's worthiness. I like what I'm learning. I'm going to work with it for a month to see what happens.

If you can borrow one from somewhere give it a shot.

John :)

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Larry

You would have to put the brace on and hit some balls to feel the benefits it offers.

It positions (due to it's design) the arm and wrist to close from the elbow down naturally with no tension. You can drop your elbow if you wish, the goal is when you do drop your elbow after contact with the cue ball that the whole arm, wrist, forearm and upper arm are all on the shot line (your elbow will finish on the shot line). You may have to adjust your stance and grip to allow for this movement. You let the brace do the shooting, your brain will take care of the rest.

I have been working with it for almost a week to test it's worthiness. I like what I'm learning. I'm going to work with it for a month to see what happens.

If you can borrow one from somewhere give it a shot.

John :)
john
i respect all you say...:)
you have been helpfull to me
which i appreciate
and if you say so
it must be true
i do not have to "borrow " one from someone
which one do you have (several have been mentioned)
send me a link
and i will buy it...:)
larry
i wish you could make it to vero beach so i can buy you dinner and we can play some one pocket...:):):)

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john
i respect all you say...:)
you have been helpfull to me
which i appreciate
and if you say so
it must be true
i do not have to "borrow " one from someone
which one do you have (several have been mentioned)
send me a link
and i will buy it...:)
larry
i wish you could make it to vero beach so i can buy you dinner and we can play some one pocket...:):):)

There is no manufacturers name on the one I have........looked everywhere. :(

Your best bet would be to go to Amazon.Com and type, in the search window, Hinged Range of Motion Arm Brace. They are kinda pricey. Just try to match the one I posted to one of the ones offered. I got mine free for the asking.

If you have a Medical Supply Distributor in your area print out the one I posted and take it to them and tell them that this is the one you want.

You can buy me lunch the next time your in St.Louis :) and I'll pay the table time.
John

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You can buy me lunch the next time your in St.Louis :) and I'll pay the table time.
John

I think Larry just got hustled. Word on the street is you're a voracious eater who enters all the hot dog eating contests you can get into. He's in big trouble if you pick a Ruth Chris Steakhouse for lunch. :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.