Stick Aiming

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stick Aiming (old post again)

Using the cue stick to aid the beginner to aim the cue ball (CB) at the contact point on the object ball (OB) that sends it to the target/pocket.

This will get one close but it doesn't compensate for cut induced throw (CIT) that will reduce the resultant cut angle from the geometrically correct one. A bit of outside english can compensate for CIT.

The contact point on the OB is where the line from the target exits through the center of the OB at its equator.

There is but one cut angle depicted but holds true for all cut angles but can be ignored for straight in shots or center CB to center OB.

To start, aim the stick at the contact point (CP) on the OB through the same CP on the CB as shown.
The rest of the pictures describe how to get the cue to the center of the CB, where you are to hit it, and parallel to the starting aim line.

aiming 1.PNG
aiming 2.PNG
aiming 3.PNG
aiming 4.PNG

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Contact-point-to-contact-point aiming via parallel parking the stick.

aka

CP2CP/PPS :)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do I know where the Contact Point (CB) is?

pj
chgo

I’m not 100% following this system but when I mentioned double-the-distance in the other thread, I was more thinking about what Fast Eddie Parker describes in his video rather than how Dr Dave described it on his site. That system is how I picture knowing where the CB Contact Point is...

https://youtu.be/EIUSZSYK2O0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m not 100% following this system but when I mentioned double-the-distance in the other thread, I was more thinking about what Fast Eddie Parker describes in his video rather than how Dr Dave described it on his site. That system is how I picture knowing where the CB Contact Point is...

Knowing and doing are two different things. That's why I find it's much easier to aim center of cb to a specific aim point, rather than trying to aim a cb contact point to an ob contact point, especially since that line of aim is offset to the alignment of the shot.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knowing and doing are two different things. That's why I find it's much easier to aim center of cb to a specific aim point, rather than trying to aim a cb contact point to an ob contact point, especially since that line of aim is offset to the alignment of the shot.

I hear you. I have different things in mind for different types of shots and at different points in my routine. I like to visualize how he does when I’m standing up and walking into the shot, regardless.

If I’m true to his method, I will trust the alignment I stepped into while down on the shot. I like that best on very thin cuts and on most rail shots. I like it better when your stick or center of cueball is aligned past the edge of the object ball. If I’m already aligned into open space, this works best for me.

But I do mix systems on occasion. I will use his system while standing up, then I will use fractional systems or stick alignment systems once down on the shot. Hopefully they agree with each other because I don’t like making adjustments once down on the shot.

But the point I started with is nothing more than to point out this system can help you find the CB contact point for whatever purpose you decide you want to use that information.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is that Fast Eddie Felson? Good vid.:smile:

Go back to post #1 first slide (start) and notice that the stick is aimed at the CP on the left of the CB and through to the CP on the OB that is on the right of the OB....Like Fast Eddie in the vid.

The message in the post is that it is not easy to shift the stick parallel. What I offered is a way to effect that shift more accurately than just moving the bridge and grasp to the center of the CB.

This works for me as I visualize it but hey, it may not work for others as they see it.

Just sharing for free.:thumbup: