Mechanical Rotation Cue (MEROC) aiming system by Salux

salux

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everybody,
Basically my new aiming system has only two types of reference lines: Edge 2 Edge and Edge 2 Center (from the player’s perspective).
Afterwards, the player has to position himself at the table accordingly and from that standing position he is able to pocket the OB without looking at where the hole is, either pivoting to the cue to the center of CB.
In particular, the pocket represents only a guideline to choose which shot class applies (E2E or E2C).
The back hand is the pivot to the shot.

I’m quite happy to have developed this simple aiming system which is effective and based on the following assumption:

In each shot the player must always have the E2E or E2C visuals. As long as you see those visuals when you are approaching the CB, with the tip of CB in the center of the CB, you are certain that you can pocket the OB.
This system allows the player to obtain those visuals when he is delivering the shot on the table.

(The pictures and the explanation that follow are referred to a right-handed player).

Hope to hear your test results.
Cheers,
Salux

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If I understand you correctly, the final post-pivot shot line (where the stick aims through the CB's center) can only be the perfect shot line for one particular cut angle (for that particular distance between the balls and your particular hand positions). So for just about every shot some final aiming "adjustment" must be made - and this adjustment means that you can't simply go through the mechanical steps and shoot without reference to the pocket.

This isn't really a flaw in the system - all systems require some final tweaking for the same reasons. Most of them also have this flaw in the explanation.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

salux

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Patrick. I know there is a small amount of adjustments before pulling the trigger. Anyway I can address the correct shot angle with my cue by following the steps above.
The balls distance is not a matter of importance because the visualization takes into consideration of that. Anyway it's paramount to choose the right class of shot (E2E or E2C).
Salux

PS=Next weekend I'll post a video on my Salux Youtube channel.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hi Patrick. I know there is a small amount of adjustments before pulling the trigger. Anyway I can address the correct shot angle with my cue by following the steps above.
The balls distance is not a matter of importance because the visualization takes into consideration of that. Anyway it's paramount to choose the right class of shot (E2E or E2C).
Yes, and that by itself gets you "in the ball park" for the correct shot line - kind of like using "fractions".

Have you compared with other align-and-pivot systems like 90-90, shishkebob, etc.? There seems to be some strong similarities.

PS=Next weekend I'll post a video on my Salux Youtube channel.
Hope you'll post a link for it here too.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

salux

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The strenght of my system is the easy method to get to the shot line. You have only 2 reference lines: E2E or E2C.
The ultimate objective is to have a visual E2E or E2C when you're bent on the table with the center tip on the CB. Only if you have that visual you can pocket the OB.
You can test yourself by putting a ghost ball and aim at it behind the CB: you'll see (when you're behind the CB before making the shot) that your visual shot is either E2E or E2C!!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The strenght of my system is the easy method to get to the shot line. You have only 2 reference lines: E2E or E2C.
The ultimate objective is to have a visual E2E or E2C when you're bent on the table with the center tip on the CB. Only if you have that visual you can pocket the OB.
You can test yourself by putting a ghost ball and aim at it behind the CB: you'll see (when you're behind the CB before making the shot) that your visual shot is either E2E or E2C!!
Those are pretty popular initial alignments. Other systems add some in-between starting alignments, like edge-to-quarter or even center-to-quarter. That's slightly more complicated, but also needs less "adjustment" to the final shot line. I think that's about finding the best combination of precision and ease-of-use for you.

Pivoting to the final aim line is also popular - I think it's a good focusing mechanism.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks like there is no actual pivot being preformed here. You stand in a manner to visualize the E2E or E2C line, then from some point at the back of this line (about 58" I guess) you place your grip hand or butt end of the cue and then aim the tip for center CB. Wouldn't this produce the same angle every time?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It looks like there is no actual pivot being preformed here. You stand in a manner to visualize the E2E or E2C line, then from some point at the back of this line (about 58" I guess) you place your grip hand or butt end of the cue and then aim the tip for center CB. Wouldn't this produce the same angle every time?
Sounds like a backhand pivot to me - it's clearly where the actual aiming takes place. I think pivoting (or whatever you call this) can be a methodical way to focus and "scan" from a known starting alignment to a "know it when you see it" actual shot line.

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a backhand pivot to me - it's clearly where the actual aiming takes place. I think pivoting (or whatever you call this) can be a methodical way to focus and "scan" from a known starting alignment to a "know it when you see it" actual shot line.

pj
chgo

Yeah, where the back hand stays in place on the E2E or E2C line and the cue tip swings to center CB. I believe this is the natural swing of the cue stick, for most players, when going from the alignment to the actual shooting stance/position. I like the term "scan" to describe the visual of the cue stick swinging or pivoting onto what feels or looks like the correct shot line. That's a good way to describe what the brain is doing with the visual data it's receiving -- it's scanning for a stored shot that either matches dead on or is close enough to be easily tweaked.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yeah, where the back hand stays in place on the E2E or E2C line and the cue tip swings to center CB. I believe this is the natural swing of the cue stick, for most players, when going from the alignment to the actual shooting stance/position. I like the term "scan" to describe the visual of the cue stick swinging or pivoting onto what feels or looks like the correct shot line. That's a good way to describe what the brain is doing with the visual data it's receiving -- it's scanning for a stored shot that either matches dead on or is close enough to be easily tweaked.
Yes, and I think it's often what's going on with these "initial approximate alignment with a final adjustment to the shot line" systems, even when no "pivot" is specified in the instructions.

pj
chgo

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Thor and Patrick. We don't allow hijacking threads, or "just because you broke the rules, I will too" around here.

Mike

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the grounds that I have understood this correctly and you are pivoting the cue with moving the backhand to the side...

I reject any "technique" of pivoting something on its principle. Pivoting is not acurate and always has side effects and suffers A LOT from "works for me". It also ruins your stroke and is against anything we know of the body's physique.

But on the ground of having fun, sure go ahead! :thumbup:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
On the grounds that I have understood this correctly and you are pivoting the cue with moving the backhand to the side...

I reject any "technique" of pivoting something on its principle. Pivoting is not acurate and always has side effects and suffers A LOT from "works for me". It also ruins your stroke and is against anything we know of the body's physique.

But on the ground of having fun, sure go ahead! :thumbup:
I think you could say that everybody “pivots” to their final aim - unless you land on the exact line every time you get into shooting stance. That’s a mini version of a system pivot, but might serve the same purpose.

pj
chgo

salux

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,
I uploaded 5 videos (from side, from front and from behind) in my Salux youtube channel about MEROC aiming system.
In those ones I show the mechanical movement of the cue (no look to the pocket) to drive the OB in the pocket.
It’s important to note that the alignment to the AB line (from the edge of CB to the center of OB in case of E2C type or from the edge of CB to the edge of OB in case of E2E one) is done with your EYES, RIGHT HAND, RIGHT FOOT.
So vertically speaking the right hand and the right foot are on the same line, whereas horizontally the alignment involves eyes, right hand and right foot.
Cheers,
Salux

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I show the mechanical movement of the cue (no look to the pocket) to drive the OB in the pocket.
Even if you don't actually look at the pocket, you know where it is (we all do after years of shooting at it) and use that information to finalize your aim. The "mechanical movements" of your system can't do that without some (maybe subconscious) refinement during the final alignment.

That doesn't make it a bad system - just imprecisely explained like pretty much every other system.

pj
chgo

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Even if you don't actually look at the pocket, you know where it is (we all do after years of shooting at it) and use that information to finalize your aim. The "mechanical movements" of your system can't do that without some (maybe subconscious) refinement during the final alignment.

That doesn't make it a bad system - just imprecisely explained like pretty much every other system.

pj
chgo

Angle CBD is the system's representation or surrogate of the pocket. Once you have the angle there's no need to look at the pocket again. Consider CP shooting which you use. The contact point is equivalent to angle CBD in Salux's new system. It "is" the pocket. If you're flicking your eyes back to the pocket after you're aimed and ready to stroke, you have a confidence problem not an aiming problem. No reason to believe it can't be accurate with practice. You've tried the system haven't you before you made your opinion?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Angle CBD is the system's representation or surrogate of the pocket. Once you have the angle there's no need to look at the pocket again. Consider CP shooting which you use. The contact point is equivalent to angle CBD in Salux's new system. It "is" the pocket. If you're flicking your eyes back to the pocket after you're aimed and ready to stroke, you have a confidence problem not an aiming problem. No reason to believe it can't be accurate with practice. You've tried the system haven't you before you made your opinion?
No aiming system, yours included, can possibly "take you" to every exact aim line - if it could it would be too complex for humans to use at the table.

That's all I need to know to know that you're "refining" your aim from whatever line the system dictates. It's the only realistic possibility.

pj
chgo

salux

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said in the first post the pocket is used to know where the ghost ball roughly is. I dont need to know exactly where it is, but just to determine which shot is involved at that time ( E2E or E2C).
If you already know the class of shot before shooting you dont need to see the pocket at all.
This system relies on the relative position of the CB and OB!!
Please see my videos for full explanation.
Cheers
Salux

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I still don't understand the reasoning for steps 2 and 3. The grip hand remains fixed at "B", then the cue stick is pivoted from the BD line to center cue ball. This puts the cue stick on the BC line, an already known line. So there's no need to match the angle and then pivot to that line. With the back hand remaining fixed, it really doesn't matter where you begin the cue stick pivot -- it will always end up on the line from your back hand to center cue ball, the BC line.