Do Pro's guess?

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the title says. I was talking to some players on my team and we seem to disagree. We talked about LD shafts vs maple. I am probably wrong but from reading various threads, there are ways to compensate for deflection and swerve. So for my part. I was saying that I did not think Pro's were playing a guessing game because at times they play on some of the toughest tables/pockets. I mean the argument is that you can play with an LD shaft or maple, you can use BHE, FHE and Parallel english, bridge length to compensate. So is it muscle memory and top players are aiming for a different point than the contact point. Or are they aiming for the contact point when playing side english. I have heard guys say they need to aim over two inches away from the contact point on long shots. Sure it works for them but from table to table, not to mention all the other conditions. Don't mind being wrong but hate arguing when I am wrong. LOL

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Like the title says. I was talking to some players on my team and we seem to disagree. We talked about LD shafts vs maple. I am probably wrong but from reading various threads, there are ways to compensate for deflection and swerve. So for my part. I was saying that I did not think Pro's were playing a guessing game because at times they play on some of the toughest tables/pockets. I mean the argument is that you can play with an LD shaft or maple, you can use BHE, FHE and Parallel english, bridge length to compensate. So is it muscle memory and top players are aiming for a different point than the contact point. Or are they aiming for the contact point when playing side english. I have heard guys say they need to aim over two inches away from the contact point on long shots. Sure it works for them but from table to table, not to mention all the other conditions. Don't mind being wrong but hate arguing when I am wrong. LOL

Yes & yes.

The contact point on the object ball is never static, except on a straight in's but then too, top players can tweak physics up to 20%.

Top players look first at what's needed to get the cue ball from point A to B. Once they determine that, they choose a cue ball speed and bridge that will allow for the shot at hand.

Once the speed/spin/cueing of the hit is determined, it's then the contact point on the object ball is determined and committed to 101%. Don't make up a story why you missed, unless your workin' it. And if ya don't know, find out, it'll save ya years and make you happier.

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of pool is an educated guess.
It starts with the natural geometry of the shot ,that in theory in a perfect world free of any outside factors not related to the basic Collison of two (or more) Inert and identical spherical objects causes them react exactly the same way everytime.
But from there you must mentaly calculate, manipulate and compensate based on you experiences the other million factors related to everything beyond just hitting the contact point.
Before you even hit the ball.

As they sometimes say in pool and billiards...

You can hit a ball or play a shot "perfect"
....and have a fairly good chance to make it.

Who could they say this isn't the hardest game in the world to play.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am probably wrong but from reading various threads, there are ways to compensate for deflection and swerve.

I was saying that I did not think Pro's were playing a guessing game because at times they play on some of the toughest tables/pockets.

So is it muscle memory and top players are aiming for a different point than the contact point.

I have heard guys say they need to aim over two inches away from the contact point on long shots.

the above is true, good players compensate....good players dont guess.....they aim where they need to aim to make the shot, it could be 2 inches away....and they adjust for different table conditions as well....

hit a million balls, and it will be clear :) :p