20 Tips for Improving Your Game

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
PoolDawg sends out e-mails periodically that have instruction from their PoolDawg Academy. I always find them interesting and take the time to read them. Today's e-mail was titled "20 Tips for Improving Your Game."

Tip #7 is: "When you need to send an object ball along the rail with speed, jack up your cue slightly to help avoid "wiggling" the ball in the pocket jaws; it also eliminates throw."

I don't understand this. What about "jack up your cue slightly" (Which makes the shot more difficult for me) helps avoid rattling the ball in the pocket?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolDawg sends out e-mails periodically that have instruction from their PoolDawg Academy. I always find them interesting and take the time to read them. Today's e-mail was titled "20 Tips for Improving Your Game."

Tip #7 is: "When you need to send an object ball along the rail with speed, jack up your cue slightly to help avoid "wiggling" the ball in the pocket jaws; it also eliminates throw."

I don't understand this. What about "jack up your cue slightly" (Which makes the shot more difficult for me) helps avoid rattling the ball in the pocket?

Bit odd advice that, jacking up the cue would either give you a slight jump, masse or draw, none of those will help with making the ball. And draw shooting down the rail will actually make the ball harder to make unless you stoke it clean and pure.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I always thought using follow when the object ball is frozen to the rail helps it stay closer to the rail on its way to the pocket.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol I love pool advice like that: It makes no sense, and no explanation of how it's supposed to work is given. In other words, about half of all pool advice.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Since as has been pointed out there is no real explanation, we are forced to guess how the advice might somehow, possibly, under some circumstances seem to work some of the time.

Many people will hit a ball on the rail too full a lot of the time. Jacking up changes your aim some. (Usually this is bad.) Jacking up will make you hit the ball somewhat thinner if the cue ball is airborne when it arrives.

My own advice would be to practice and if you're missing the shot too large a percentage, try aiming a little thinner.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always thought using follow when the object ball is frozen to the rail helps it stay closer to the rail on its way to the pocket.
I think follow is not particularly useful and will give the same result as draw.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

have heard that too, and it seems to work for me.....not sure why.

edit - I have heard that a "firm" hit works better too (better than a soft hit).

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This is an appropriate thread to post about another ridiculous "tip" I saw on facebook today that made me shake my head.

A pool related facebook page posted something similar to the following: "The tip shaper your using is mishaping your tip." Posted with no context or explanation.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...And draw shooting down the rail will actually make the ball harder to make unless you stoke it clean and pure.

The equator of the cue ball is below the nose of the cushion. Draw can lift the cue ball off the bed of the table, then the cushion will force it offline.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did this say where the CB was? there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about the shot other than the OB so bashing the claim seem kind of harsh but as they say "this is Azb"
Putting draw on a ball on the rail (or anywhere as we all know) puts follow on the OB this causes the ball to roll down the rail, putting top (we know how this works i'm assuming) will more likely cause the ball to slide or skid for a moment as it comes out of the slide and roll begins conditions affect how the ball starts to roll. I'm under the impression we've seen a stripped ball coming out of slide and how it tumbles as roll begins, that can cause the ball to take more to the rail which will then cause it to possibly leave the rail slightly and thus the wiggle is reduced.
Maybe we can get DrDave to do a slow-mo or how long slide is when hitting with max top vs max draw, i think that'll be interesting to see. Bob make that happen.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
did this say where the CB was?

The Tip said nothing other than what was in quotes in the OP. I had pictured it as a fairly thick hit on the object ball, since throw was a consideration.

I'm glad to see there are others that can't make sense of it. My curiosity is only about the "wiggle". I own an Olhausen, so I am familiar with fighting the rattle. I've found a few ways to deal with the rattle but was hoping someone could make sense of the "jack up" and give me a knew skill to deal with it.

Edit. I tried a few "jacked up" shots last night and didn't gain anything other than the problems associated with "jacking up".

Last edited: