One-Word Thread

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
Challenged

BTW, I didn't know that Tony Curtis started running a regional pool tour. Maybe you meant Tony Crosby.

Reactions: JAM

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
I left the game about 10 years ago because what I was seeing made me sad. The characters at the tourney were timeworn, but the game was pure and I failed to see that second part.

Part of my problem is that anything I am interested in, I take seriously. I'm not interested in playing this game for fun. Another way of looking at it is that I want to improve at whatever I do. I'm not satisfied with the status quo. Not ever. If I'm not moving forward I feel like I'm heading backward.

Is the future of the game dependent on the bangers who play for fun and use the game as an excuse to go to a bar? Or is it with the competitive crowd? How much do these groups overlap? Is there really anything wrong with pool, or are the people who try to make money at the game (in many ways) the ones bemoaning the state of the game?

I also wonder if marketing the game as something pure (get rid of the gimmicks) would be the key, but I suspect it's far too late for that.

My one word is two words: paradigm shift

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have another word.......priceless.

OPPORTUNITY - The business of pool looks like Filet Mignon has been cleverly disguised as hotdogs in the last 13 years. The potential in pool is at an all time high and very few seem to "real eyes" it.

I have another word.......priceless. ;)

demotivational-posters-priceless.jpg

Last edited:

Arlene

Registered
Here is a few for you:
Tenacious
Perseverance
Determination
Infamous
Struggling
Surviving
Unknown
Mysterious
Misunderstand
Unacknowledged
Misconceived

:smile:
Arlene

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gimmicky..........

I know you only want one word but everything in today's day is "better". Supposedly........ Better shafts, Low deflection this and that, better tips, magic chalk, magic aiming systems, books, videos, magic cues, cases that can be flipped upside down and thrown off the roof of the pool room, cloth that plays like glass, magic racks, etc...... You get what I'm saying? Sure there's advancements in products but some of it is plain b.s. Anybody who wants to play better needs to put in the table time and PLAY! That being said without the "gimmicks" the pool world would have little to no cash flow moving around. The magic products are really keeping this game alive. Without them we have no sponsors for our pros, and what's left of a "pro tour" would be over.

Jam, there's my one word with an explanation. Some will agree and some will not but that's my take on it.
'deadnutz' is on the nuts. And his statement makes me think of the word 'underappreciated'. Todays top players are so underappreciated by the general public and it's totally unfair. Unfair due to the hours and hours of play they've put in to play this great game at it's highest level. If there was a pool tour that paid just 5 to 10% of what the PGA tour pays then there would be alot of people who could make a living playing pool. Unfortunately pool does not get the best of ratings on TV. It's all about ratings, if you get the ratings then you get the sponsers. If you get the sponsers then you get the money. I hope one day before I die there will be a lucrative, long term pro tour, because there are alot of super talented players in this world who are very underappreciated.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope one day before I die there will be a lucrative, long term pro tour

'deadnutz' is on the nuts. And his statement makes me think of the word 'underappreciated'. Todays top players are so underappreciated by the general public and it's totally unfair. Unfair due to the hours and hours of play they've put in to play this great game at it's highest level. If there was a pool tour that paid just 5 to 10% of what the PGA tour pays then there would be alot of people who could make a living playing pool. Unfortunately pool does not get the best of ratings on TV. It's all about ratings, if you get the ratings then you get the sponsers. If you get the sponsers then you get the money. I hope one day before I die there will be a lucrative, long term pro tour, because there are alot of super talented players in this world who are very underappreciated.

TELEVISION - "Out of Sight, Out of Mind"
out-of-sight-out-of-mind.jpg

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[/SIZE][/B]

TELEVISION - "Out of Sight, Out of Mind"
out-of-sight-out-of-mind.jpg
If that was a link on 'out of site, out of mind' CJ, I couldn't open it. I just think it's a shame that bass fishermen or bowlers( no offense meant to either ) have better TV coverage and potential earnings than pool players. Now in my opinion, that is a total shame.