One-Word Thread

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This pool world is a tough racket. To be successful, it seems like most of the pro players, whose chosen endeavors were originally to compete in pool competitions, have turned to other pool-related enterprises.

Allen Hopkins went to promoting events. Nick Varner and Mike Sigel created their own brand of cue sticks. Shannon Daulton, Tommy Kennedy, Tony Curtis, and Mike Zuglan started running regional pool tours. Billy Incardona, Grady Mathews, Jimmy Wych, and Danny DiLiberto are today well-known pool commentators.

Johnny Archer and Kim Davenport run a pool room in Georgia. I would venture to guess that because they are well-liked players, this must contribute to this venture. Other players have not been as fortunate with running pool rooms and turning a profit.

I have watched with awe the recent resurgence of C.J. Wiley and admire how he has jumped back into the pool world with both feet. Because of his entrepreneurial skills, to include instructional videos, he was able to again enjoy pool at a height which many never reach, which is being at the recent Mosconi Cup as their coach. That is, in my opinion, a tribute to his efforts to make something good happen in the pool world, rather than sitting back and wondering what happened. :wink:

I know I'm asking for it by creating this thread, but I am working on a pool-related project and need to examine the status quo to date. :smile:

I am inviting social shooters, railbirds, action junkies, pool enthusiasts of all kinds, weekend warriors, amateurs, and pro-caliber players to please contribute to this thread. When you think of today's pool world, what one word comes to mind? TIA to any and all responders.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to be using this thread as a virtual focus group. Please take the time to contribute one word. Thanks! :smile:

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
too bad this site won't allow one-word submissions.

The following errors occurred with your submission:

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

otherwise...Banana

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
too bad this site won't allow one-word submissions.

The following errors occurred with your submission:

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

otherwise...Banana

Good point. I had not thought of that.

If your word is less than 10 characters, do as seven_7days did and just add periods.

Here is my word: alluring

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess to make this thread alluring -- LOL -- I am going to offer a pool-related prize for the best word.

I have a panoramic photo of the Final 12 at the 2003 Joss Northeast 9-Ball Tour event at Classic Billiards. It was given to me by Diana Hoppe (Poolpics by Hoppe).

There's some interesting players in this photo, a real motley crew. :grin:

It was a great tournament! This is a cool pool photo that would look nice in anyone's game room. :)

Attachments

• Photo Prize.jpg
    Photo Prize.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,159

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One word thread

Arrogance

Selfishness

Frustration

Potential

(sorry for being so verbose)

Mark Griffin

Last edited:

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gimmicky..........

I know you only want one word but everything in today's day is "better". Supposedly........ Better shafts, Low deflection this and that, better tips, magic chalk, magic aiming systems, books, videos, magic cues, cases that can be flipped upside down and thrown off the roof of the pool room, cloth that plays like glass, magic racks, etc...... You get what I'm saying? Sure there's advancements in products but some of it is plain b.s. Anybody who wants to play better needs to put in the table time and PLAY! That being said without the "gimmicks" the pool world would have little to no cash flow moving around. The magic products are really keeping this game alive. Without them we have no sponsors for our pros, and what's left of a "pro tour" would be over.

Jam, there's my one word with an explanation. Some will agree and some will not but that's my take on it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arrogance

Selfishness

Frustration

Potential

(sorry for being so verbose)

Mark Griffin

Thanks, Mark, for the contribution to the thread.

I like the order of the words you created: beginning with "selfishness" and ending with "potential."

The words transcend in a positive direction, so that's a good thing! :smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gimmicky..........

I know you only want one word but everything in today's day is "better". Supposedly........ Better shafts, Low deflection this and that, better tips, magic chalk, magic aiming systems, books, videos, magic cues, cases that can be flipped upside down and thrown off the roof of the pool room, cloth that plays like glass, magic racks, etc...... You get what I'm saying? Sure there's advancements in products but some of it is plain b.s. Anybody who wants to play better needs to put in the table time and PLAY! That being said without the "gimmicks" the pool world would have little to no cash flow moving around. The magic products are really keeping this game alive. Without them we have no sponsors for our pros, and what's left of a "pro tour" would be over.

Jam, there's my one word with an explanation. Some will agree and some will not but that's my take on it.

I totally get that for sure. Very good point. :)

It's like instead of eating chateaubriand, a good old-fashioned ribeye would be just as satisfying. Who needs all the extra ingredients to make it taste better. A good steak doesn't need all that stuff. :grin-square:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
When you think of today's pool world, what one word comes to mind? TIA to any and all responders.

Structure
Selfserving
Appearance
Egotistical
Evolving
Europeans
China
Taiwann
Quatar
Women
Souquet
Art
Me/Me/Me/Me/ME
Money
Homeowners
Sad
Bars
Liquor
Cigarettes

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you think of today's pool world, what one word comes to mind? TIA to any and all responders.

Selfserving
Appearance
Egotistical
Evolving
Europeans
China
Quatar
Women
Souquet
Art
Me/Me/Me/Me/ME
Money
Homeowners
Sad
Bars
Liquor
Cigarettes

Good description! It is a very inclusive list, for sure! :cool:

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Potential! Thank you for that. Right on, Mark.

Focus

Support

Craftsmanship

Rebirth

Camaraderie