Legal Stroke

JimGinPhx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing One Pocket,cue ball close to an object ball and rail, is it a legal stroke to hold the cue in one hand,ferrule on the table, and lightly touch the cue ball or bump the cue ball with the cue TIP?

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a guy in league do this to freeze the 9ball on the rail where I had to kick two rails to make it. I still disagree that it's legal but he and some others insist that it is. In my opinion a legal stroke has to move forward through the ball, not from the top down to the table or the table up across the face of the ball. Cheap way out if you ask me. I don't like it or agree with it and I will never do it even if an official ruling says it's legal...haven't heard an official ruling yet.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this from the complete rules at onepocket.org
http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm
6.6 Intentional fouls are an accepted part of One Pocket tactics as long as they are played by use of a legal stroke, such as by lightly touching the cue ball with the cue tip; by rolling the cue ball to a new location without regard for legal contact with either an object ball or a cushion; by pocket scratching the cue ball; or by using a legal jump technique to force the cue ball off the table. However, if the acting official rules that a player has used an illegal technique to direct the cue ball or any object balls to a more desirable location, then the incoming player has the option of either playing the balls where they lie, or requesting the official to restore all such moved balls to their location prior to the illegal maneuver. The offending player is charged the standard one ball foul penalty, and in addition may be further penalized at the discretion of the acting official under the general rules of unsportsmanlike conduct.
a legal stroke is forward movement of the cue stick
not up or sideways
it does not sound like to me a legal stroke was used

JimGinPhx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stroke I described is not a push. Take the cue in your shooting hand . Your holding the cue one handed. Place the cue tip behind the cue ball, but not touching the cue ball.The cue tip is resting on the table surface.Gently tap the cueball with the cue tip.It's a momentary contact on the cueball.A legal stroke,as described in the rule books, is a momentary contact with the cue tip on the cueball.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The stroke I described is not a push. Take the cue in your shooting hand . Your holding the cue one handed. Place the cue tip behind the cue ball, but not touching the cue ball.The cue tip is resting on the table surface.Gently tap the cueball with the cue tip.It's a momentary contact on the cueball.A legal stroke,as described in the rule books, is a momentary contact with the cue tip on the cueball.

are you moving the tip UP ??
if so not legal

JimGinPhx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm holding the cue in my right hand.The cue tip is on the table surface 1/2" behind the cueball. My shooting hand is 1 inch off the playing surface. I move the cue forward and make momentary contact with the cue tip to cueball. No upstroke.This is not a push shot if you only have momentary contact with the cue tip to cueball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm holding the cue in my right hand.The cue tip is on the table surface 1/2" behind the cueball. My shooting hand is 1 inch off the playing surface. I move the cue forward and make momentary contact with the cue tip to cueball. No upstroke.This is not a push shot if you only have momentary contact with the cue tip to cueball.

Are you saying you are just shooting with one hand, and resting the cue on the cloth instead of holding it in your fingers? That sounds legal to me as long as you shoot in a forward motion with the cue, not a swipe. There is no rule that you can't shoot one handed off a rail, so I don't see why it would be illegal shooting with the tip on the cloth instead of you holding it.

I have played for many years, and keep up with rules, but have not run across this situation specifically. If I was using logic, and was a ref, and someone shot with one hand, tip on the cloth, but used a forward stroke, and cue did not bounce up and hit the ferrule during the follow through, I'd call it a good shot. Because of the above statement that shooting off a rail with the tip on the cloth is legal.

JimGinPhx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm holding the cue in my right hand about an inch off the table. The cue tip is resting on the table surface, placed behind the cueball, not touching the cueball. With a forward motion I make momentary contact with the cueball propelling the cueball forward. This shot would be used for those close range shots with balls close to the rail. It's up to the shooter,if he feels a push happened during the stroke,to call a foul on himself.

King Jehu

Registered
If you're talking about the infamous "lift-shot", I asked Dr. Dave about this recently. He cited WPA:

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play#8.2

The shot would be a foul because a stroke is defined as forward movement in 8.2:

8.2 Shot
A shot begins when the tip contacts the cue ball due to a forward stroke motion of the cue stick. A shot ends when all balls in play have stopped moving and spinning. A shot is said to be legal if the shooter did not foul during the shot.

Meanwhile, the APA, for some reason, has addressed this shot and deemed it as legal.