crowned slate

EasyBreezy

Registered
does anyone have any advise for this slate? the arrows are pointing to the high spot and the numbers are in 10,000 of an inch, so the center of the slate is high.

Attachments

• IMG_20180129_142127.jpg
    IMG_20180129_142127.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 385

EasyBreezy

Registered
the blue chalk is the measurements, the yellow chalk are measuring points. I should have been more clear about that, sorry.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What exactly are you using to measure it with that reads in 4 decimal places,,,,,,, and,,,, accordingly, you are barely varying much more than one thousandth of an inch per your markings.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
probably hes using that machinist level to measure, it reads in half thousands, .0005

ten thou reads like 2 decimals, in machinist language, thats not what you learned about decimals in school lol

ten thou .01

4 decimal places is .0001, we say tenths, which is kinda high precision for machinists
a human hair reads about .003 3 thousandths

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
probably hes using that machinist level to measure, it reads in half thousands, .0005

ten thou reads like 2 decimals, in machinist language, thats not what you learned about decimals in school lol
ten thou .01

4 decimal places is .0001, we say tenths, which is kinda high precision for machinists
a human hair reads about .003 3 thousandths
You can blow on a .0001 indicator and make the needle move.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A machinist level doesn't read in .0005",,,, it has a stated accuracy of .0005"/foot. I have several. I don't know how he is coming up with his readings. It would take a dial indicator setup of some kind to do that, which ain't happening. If his readings are correct the slate is fine indeed, I just question how he got them.

Also, I'm quite familiar with Machinist speak, now in my 44th year as a machinist.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Well that's good to know

Ya im kinda interested in how he came up with the measurements as well

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also I wonder what his readings are comparable to. His markings are all on the center slate and all the markings are high,,,,, seems to me at the very least 3 of the 4 corners on the center slate should be able to read very close to "0".

EasyBreezy

Registered
I'm using a starette 98-12 machinist level. all the measurements are on the middle slate because thats all I had measured. I figured I would get the middle one level and bring the other two up to it.

forgive my ignorance. in my recollection from elementary school one tenth would be .1, one one hundredth would be .01, one one thousandth would be .001 and one ten thousands would be .0001. if those decimals aren't right please forgive me. each graduation on the level is 5 of whatever the correct decimal of an inch. I also should have said per foot I thought that would be assumed, again I'm sorry.

I would also think that all the corners should read zero but they don't, thats what I'm trying to figure out. The level has been calibrated so the only explanation I can come up with is that the center is high.

can anyone tell me what's going on or how to fix it?

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
How thick are the slates? Did you level the frame first? How many shims did you use to level the center slate. Tightening the screws with a pile of shims between the frame and the slate can crown it real bad. Hard to say just looking at your pics

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

EasyBreezy

Registered
its a GC III with 1" slate. I did level the frame first. all three slates are basically crowned like the center one. I used five shims on the center slate, one by each screw and one in the center on the foot end.

the slates all have a crown basically like the center one. they all had them before the screws were installed but it has become more pronounced since the screws were put in place. should I keep the screws as loose as possible as long as the slate doesn't move relative to the frame? Is the slate all within tolerance or do you think I will notice a roll?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using a starette 98-12 machinist level. all the measurements are on the middle slate because thats all I had measured. I figured I would get the middle one level and bring the other two up to it.

forgive my ignorance. in my recollection from elementary school one tenth would be .1, one one hundredth would be .01, one one thousandth would be .001 and one ten thousands would be .0001. if those decimals aren't right please forgive me. each graduation on the level is 5 of whatever the correct decimal of an inch. I also should have said per foot I thought that would be assumed, again I'm sorry.

I would also think that all the corners should read zero but they don't, thats what I'm trying to figure out. The level has been calibrated so the only explanation I can come up with is that the center is high.

can anyone tell me what's going on or how to fix it?

I'm not questioning your math pard, but instead I think your method, or approach is wrong. Don't try and read the level qraduations, level the bubble. That's a very good level if it's calibrated right, use it for what it's good for.

EasyBreezy

Registered
I'm not questioning your math pard, but instead I think your method, or approach is wrong. Don't try and read the level qraduations, level the bubble. That's a very good level if it's calibrated right, use it for what it's good for.

any advise on how to level the bubble? I can't think of a way to raise the corners relative to the center.