Called ball on break and/ or rack minus apex ball

jmac79

Registered
Is there any balls that can be called and made on the break or possible with apex ball missing. With ball in hand...

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Corner ball can be made banking long back into the corner on the side your cueball is placed, but not recommended in competition, low percentage. The shot would be to hit the corner ball with good speed without hitting the ball above it, a little english helps the shot.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Is there any balls that can be called and made on the break or possible with apex ball missing. With ball in hand...

I have heard that there is a way to bank the back corner balls - I think Mosconiac had made some videos of some crazy 14.1 shots, maybe there are some of those tucked in there.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Another for giggles is, using the second row of balls in the rack, shoot into the second row ball on one side with all the draw and left english you can muster, call the opposite side ball in the second row cross side, it will go sometimes.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I have looked through Capelle's book on 14.1 only once or twice so far but I remember he's got several types of shots you might try in that position. But like said, they are low percentage shots so if applicable it depends on the situation you are in (opponent skill, score, etc.)

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kick into the back corner ball-off end rail-with high inside-apex ball will go 2 rails to side pocket on side you kicked into! NEEDLESS TO SAY-NOT a high percentage shot.It can be made and on some tables may go often.I was playing 14.1 by myself one evening,missed the rack when I pocketed
the break-ballLeft cuebal behind the rack..A player, who's game I don't think much of ,showed me how to play the back corner ball one rail in the side.Well first time I tried it was close.Second try it went! Now I have shot it a dozen times and only had it go once.So I guess it is not a high percentage shot either.;)Both shots are fun to try and unfortunatley I don't get to play anyone who can really punish me when I thumb my nose
at their chance to score:DJack

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Just illustrating a shot mentioned above. This is your best chance for making a ball from a full rack...but its STILL a poor proposition.

I've also tried the kick behind the rack & 2-rail the top ball into the side shot.

CueTable Help