European Championships/ straight pool play has begun

The European Championships have begun and the straight pool division is underway.

Thorsten Hohmann is the defending champion, last year setting a tournament record averaging a hardly believable 50+ bals per inning average.

Seems as though he is right back at it.

I just received a text from him that in his second match he went 125 and out!!!!

In the main thread there is a link to the website. Even can follow ome matches live on line.

rg

berry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The victory of Thorsten Hohmann in the European Pool Championships straightpool was in 2005 in the Netherlands (not last year). I have seen him play there and it was amazing, for sure the best straightpool ever played in a tournament. 50 per inning is WOW :eek:

Niels Feijen win it from 2002 till 2004 3 times in a row, so he is also a strong performer in 14.1

The matches can viewed live on www.bwin.com if you are a member

The liver scoring is working great!

have a look at www.europeanpoolchampionships.com

Regards,

Berry

bt.w Oliver Ortmann won last year the 14.1!

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
niels feyen and nick are on the one loss side, after they met our ipt guy Foldes
Souquet already is out of the tournament, and only won 1 match.

AND serge das is in the last32 in the winnersside :D GOGOGO BELGIUM !!

ps there are many 125 and outs in the tournament. The average innings of almost every player is VERY high. Most of the players there can do 125 and out, so the lag is almost as criticial as the break in 9ball.

ps is there anyway to watch the bwin matches on a biggerscreen?

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Solartje said:
ps there are many 125 and outs in the tournament. The average innings of almost every player is VERY high. Most of the players there can do 125 and out, so the lag is almost as criticial as the break in 9ball.

?

Sollie,
What kind of tables are they using?? It sounds like new cloth and big pockets.

While I love to watch any kind of straight pool, the tables need to be at least as tough as the DCC tables to differentiate the best players.

Takumi4G63

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Sollie,
What kind of tables are they using?? It sounds like new cloth and big pockets.

While I love to watch any kind of straight pool, the tables need to be at least as tough as the DCC tables to differentiate the best players.

I was wondering the same thing. How tight are the pockets (sides and corners)?

Krassi

Registered
They use normal 9 feet tables with normal pockets. Don't know which table they play this year, but if they use a table from Dynamic, they should be even more difficult to play than a Brunswick table.

You have to know that in Europe, especially in Germany, there are a lot of people who can make 125 and more balls. 14.1 (straight pool) is usually played by everyone in the national leagues. This could be the reason why there are so many good 14.1 players in Europe.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Krassi said:
They use normal 9 feet tables with normal pockets. Don't know which table they play this year, but if they use a table from Dynamic, they should be even more difficult to play than a Brunswick table.

Sorry, but I have to correct you. I played the Eurotour there a few weeks ago, and they use the same tables. The pockets are very big, you can put two balls next to eachother in the jaws of the pocket, and still have a good gap between.

Nothing wrong with the quality of play though. Yesterday Thorsten Hohmann and Niels Feijen met in the first round of the single elimination. TH opened, Niels ran 113 and missed a not too tough breakball. TH ran 54 and schratched on the break. Niels ran the last 12. Many other +100 runs

You can see it all on bwin.com, starts now 9a.m. european time, which is 3 a.m. Eastern time i believe

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
14-1 part is over, and ive seen some very nice straightpool !

alex de vries impressed me, apparently he had a max of 74 or something, and won vs ralf souquet, tot, etc with 100+ breaks. he finished alot higher then i originaly thought. i was wrong. respect.

our belgium boy didnt do to bad either with a 9th place and some high breaks.

just check the final scores, and most matches or close too 125-0. u can be sure almost every break in the quarters and later must have been high, and enough to finish a game in 2 innings.

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to Niels, there were alot of straight shooters in the event. I would look for alot of them at the 14.1 WPC!

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
ps i asked a player there,

and apparently the pockets are huge. U have a 2cm gap if u put 2balls in the jaws. This might explain the big straightpool runs. the cloth is 860, and the table... no idea, but it looks like gabriels? not sure

Loontjens

Gabriels Billiards
Hello,

Loontjens Biljarts did not supply the tables for this event (so no Gabriels) it seems that is a local (Czech?) manufacturer. I spoke with Niels Feijen a couple of days ago, he also confirms that the pockets are huge. Apparently there was some miscommunication between the manufacturer and the organization.

But all in all , we are very proud that Niels has reclaimed his title!

Tim Joosse
Loontjens Biljarts/Gabriels Billiards

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
the tables are Profi pride tables.
when i checked the tables info, they look to be pritty good.
27 slate levelers, K55 or K66 cusions, simonis 860, and they are selling them for 1/3th of the price u pay in other country's and 1/2th of the price u pay there. 1800€ (they dont deliver, u got to get the table yourself)

only problem: its a long drive and i dont like the table design very much :s, and with the huge pockets... i think its wisely to safe my money abit.

loontjes, im REALLY looking for a 9ft'er, and i was hoping to find a DynamicII or a clash competitionII or a gabriels. preferably used from a eurotour or an open or something.

ive checked on your website, and i rarely see one of the tables mentioned above in the second hand part. do you think there will be some tables coming free soon?

are you going to install tables and sell them in germany, holland, or any country close to belgium?