burned my cue

sausage

Banned
a few daze ago, i couldn't take any more from my walmart mix-n-match, wood/fiberglass cue, so i smashed it, tossed the shaft over the fence and burned the butt. lol.... i just ordered a black, 18oz, pro-taper, 13mm, McDermott Graphite Cue - GR10 from Ozone. for $60 total. i'm hoping that this new cue takes the frustration out of my game.

sausage

Banned
i prefer a wood joint, wood shaft cue but i keep dinging them up. one of the most common ways i put dings in them is accidentally hitting them on the table lights. i do it all the time especially when i have a rack planed out and i'm hurrying around the table. i lift my cue off the table and begin moving my body before i get my cue out of the way of the lights and DING another shaft ruined. i guess i'm pretty hard on cues and the durability of a graphite cue cannot be denied. i will say though that i'm probably one of the few people on the planet to have run 84 balls using a Chinese made, Walmart cue. lol.... but now i won't have any excuses for not shooting 100.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Good Luck

Sausage,

Good luck with your new McDermott. I hope it takes you to 100 and beyond. And watch out for those damned table lights. I've done that a few times with my Schon and it's a pain in the ass getting the ding out. Again, best of luck.

Ron F

sausage

Banned
my cheapie cue had a 12.5mm shaft so i'm hoping that the 13mm will give me a more solid hit with less deflection. not that a thinner shaft doesn't have advantages mind you but for the bulk of my shots i think the 13 will be better especially on break balls. i'm hoping that this mcQue will have a wood joint to soften the hit of the fiber-que but it didn't say so in the que attribute BS. oh well, it's black and durable that pretty much sums up my main cue criteria.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds good, but now you will have to replace your table lights from time to time.

Dave Nelson

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pure graphite construction (not graphite-covering-wood)

I wonder who makes that graphite shaft? Zebco? Does it have the optional flycasting reel attachment? :D

Just kidding, obviously. To be honest, I had an all-graphite cue (not graphite-covering-wood, but truly all graphite construction) that I would leave in the trunk of my car when I was in the U.S. Navy stationed in Norfolk, VA, in the mid- to late-1980s. This cue literally would bake in the sun in that trunk, and then freeze in the winter, and stayed perfectly straight. It was a great "emergency" stick, when I'd get challenged to some action in some bar. I'd just go out to the car, pull this thing out, and play really well with it. I'd had that cue for over four years, leaving it in my trunk even when my ship went out on six-month deployments. Right up until the day I sold it to someone that "absolutely 'had' to have that cue," paying more to me than what I bought it for, it was perfectly straight -- never warped.

I regret selling that cue, because I never found another one like it. Most of these graphite cues are actually a graphite weave covering wood. Would love to have another non-warping pure graphite cue that I could just throw in the trunk like that. Gosh, life's regrets!

-Sean

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
a few daze ago, i couldn't take any more from my walmart mix-n-match, wood/fiberglass cue, so i smashed it, tossed the shaft over the fence and burned the butt. lol.... i just ordered a black, 18oz, pro-taper, 13mm, McDermott Graphite Cue - GR10 from Ozone. for $60 total. i'm hoping that this new cue takes the frustration out of my game.

Forget the centuries and high runs, these kind of events should always be videotaped! :wink:

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
I would have probably preferred your Walmart hybrid to the POS Viking that I have. I feel bad letting my 9-year old shoot with it. He deserves better. RonF can vouch for it's poorness. Right now I am also shooting with a not-very-expensive McDermott (not much more than you paid for yours), but it hits circles around the $400 Viking.

FWIW, my new player is having the finishing touches put on the shaft and should be ready shortly.:thumbup:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

man! you "upgraded" to a graphite cue! hope you like it

sausage

Banned
i had two viking cues. the first i won in a university pool tourny the other i foolishly bought and viking support sux. i abused the heck out of my first and still have remnants of it that i will one day use to build another cue. i decided to stop screwing around and just get something durable with a good pro taper that's the right weight and is nice and black. also, it has been my experience that most graphite cues are very straight while most wood cues are not. since i was buying online and i couldn't look at the cue prior to purchase, i had to go with graphite.