Jim Burke Irving Crane World 14.1 Championship 1986

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our industry

So for my first post I truly hope I do not offend.

I often wonder why it is that the World Series of Poker can draw as many viewers as it does. Same for bowling. In the same thought, why doesn't "American Pool".

After watching about 45 minutes of this, I wonder a little bit less.

Here's the part where I really don't mean to offend - I do enjoy 14.1, appreciate the heritage of the game and realize these are the forefathers, but holy geez.

I know Irving was advanced in age but he was moving like the butler in the movie Arthur and while I understand the difficulty of the game, did anyone get thru a rack?

Back to the number of viewers - maybe a contributor/detractor to the viewer ship is because of this "age" of pool. While there are GREAT shooters in this era and before, I don't think you'd get a single personality if you rolled them all together. The only personality is the jabber mouth, Fats. ...and he wasn't a great shooter.

I appreciate the post/link - great that our heritage is being preserved.

What match would you most recommend for some great 14.1?

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
So for my first post I truly hope I do not offend.

I often wonder why it is that the World Series of Poker can draw as many viewers as it does. Same for bowling. In the same thought, why doesn't "American Pool".

After watching about 45 minutes of this, I wonder a little bit less.

Here's the part where I really don't mean to offend - I do enjoy 14.1, appreciate the heritage of the game and realize these are the forefathers, but holy geez.

I know Irving was advanced in age but he was moving like the butler in the movie Arthur and while I understand the difficulty of the game, did anyone get thru a rack?

Back to the number of viewers - maybe a contributor/detractor to the viewer ship is because of this "age" of pool. While there are GREAT shooters in this era and before, I don't think you'd get a single personality if you rolled them all together. The only personality is the jabber mouth, Fats. ...and he wasn't a great shooter.

I appreciate the post/link - great that our heritage is being preserved.

What match would you most recommend for some great 14.1?

He reminds me a bit of the butler in "Dinner for One" - always expect him to trip over the lion's head. But then, what can you expect from a 73-year-old who suffered from polio as a child? Fortunately, one of Irv's most famous matches has been preserved for posterity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k06-M12lQWE

Oh, and no disrespect to Dennis: thanks so much for all your Straight Pool uploads, past and recent! :thumbup:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited: