Carom break shots

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Too often I have found myself getting straight in on my last ball instead of leaving a thin cut to get a good break out. (a habit picked up from years of 8 and 9 ball) I have had some success using a carom shot off the corner ball (then into the corner pocket). This also allows me to control the cue ball better on the break shot.

Is this a common thing to do? I don't have anyone around here to play 14.1 against and I haven't got a chance to watch allot of 14.1 games so most of what I am learning is trial and error. (and help from people on here.)

The carom shot is often over looked in other games and considered by some to be a low percentage shot but I have found that with some practice it can be really effective.

Do any of you ever try this shot when it comes up?

ct1.jpg

BTW, I am not saying to use this shot instead of getting good position for the break, just that it is handy if you find yourself in this position. Are there any other good plays from here? Do you opt for the safety?

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
interesting idea -- although with the actual angle diagrammed, a quite soft and controlled normal shot would bring out at least 2 balls, probably 3, and if you put the cueball in the right place, that would be plenty to continue from here. even with my limited skills, i'd be pretty confident of having the 6 or 10 as a secondary break ball on my next shot.

it's certainly not an idea i've considered for straighter shots, though, and maybe something worth practicing to see if i can get a high enough percentage that it's worth shooting on high run attempts. not that i ever get straight in on my break shot...

what's your percentage like on this shot? is it something you've improved with practice?

Blackjack also has a video showing it as a desperation shot when you have Too much angle on the break ball.

Danny Diliberto says on a couple of the lessons that Dennis has kindly posted that you should Always opt for the safety on straight-ins, and when someone who coaches 400-ball runners talks, you should probably listen. for me, though, it depends a lot on who i'm playing, and the way i mean that is that if i'm playing a Stronger player, i'm more likely to make the aggressive shot, because my experience is that i will lose the safety battle with them more often than i will screw up trying to force a small-angle break.

Last edited:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
interesting idea -- although with the actual angle diagrammed, a quite soft and controlled normal shot would bring out at least 2 balls, probably 3, and if you put the cueball in the right place, that would be plenty to continue from here. even with my limited skills, i'd be pretty confident of having the 6 or 10 as a secondary break ball on my next shot.

it's certainly not an idea i've considered for straighter shots, though, and maybe something worth practicing to see if i can get a high enough percentage that it's worth shooting on high run attempts. not that i ever get straight in on my break shot...

what's your percentage like on this shot? is it something you've improved with practice?

Blackjack also has a video showing it as a desperation shot when you have Too much angle on the break ball.

Danny Diliberto says on a couple of the lessons that Dennis has kindly posted that you should Always opt for the safety on straight-ins, and when someone who coaches 400-ball runners talks, you should probably listen. for me, though, it depends a lot on who i'm playing, and the way i mean that is that if i'm playing a Stronger player, i'm more likely to make the aggressive shot, because my experience is that i will lose the safety battle with them more often than i will screw up trying to force a small-angle break.

Yes, I noticed the angle I showed allowed more angle than I intended, I just put that up there to clarify the type of shot I was talking about.

I haven't actually kept track of my success average on this shot but I would say it's around 70%.

Am I confident enough with this shot do do it when the game is on the line? Thats a little too situational for me to answer. If I was shooting good and the set up was right then yes, I would go for it. If I felt I could out move my opponent in a safety war then I might opt to play safe.

I am really starting to enjoy this game though. It has made me look at my short position play in a whole new way and is really improving my 8 ball game.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play that well any more but I can say with absolute certainty that I would prefer it if my opponent always played the carom shot. Personally, from where the balls are diagrammed, the better shot might be stop and go into the second ball on a safety.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think it's fine to play when playing a weaker player. Playing anyone with any kind of firepower and it's a flier, plain and simple. After a few exploded racks with the ball not dropping and sitting for a while, you'll soon find that the lock-up safe is the move.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If you're straight, play on to the most aggressive safety possible and then execute it. If your oponents are so weak that you can shoot shots like this and get away with it, find yourself some tougher opponents.

Play the percentages!

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
If you're straight, play on to the most aggressive safety possible and then execute it. If your oponents are so weak that you can shoot shots like this and get away with it, find yourself some tougher opponents.

Play the percentages!

Don't say that - I love it when my opponents shoot break shots off the stack. :thumbup:

(And should they happen to make them, more power to them!)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Don't say that - I love it when my opponents shoot break shots off the stack. :thumbup:

(And should they happen to make them, more power to them!)

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Good post. I overlooked this strategic point. Do everything in your power to encourage your opponents to shoot carom break shots as often as possible.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Good post. I overlooked this strategic point. Do everything in your power to encourage your opponents to shoot carom break shots as often as possible.

If they're hemming and hawing about playing it, you could further encourage it by offering carte blanche - if it goes anywhere, they keep shooting. Hehe...

- Steve

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
If they're hemming and hawing about playing it, you could further encourage it by offering carte blanche - if it goes anywhere, they keep shooting. Hehe...

- Steve

Now this proves you don't have the brand of opponents I seem to get at 9-Ball tournaments (plus of course they can shoot…)! :rolleyes:

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
I am probably one of the worst 14.1 players on here, but I have a couple of those on video, and have taken that shot quite a few times.

It is NOT a great idea, safety play would be better IMHO. BUT... I tried it in games a few times nonetheless. Here are the only two I have on video.

Note: Turn down volume, as I made it the first time I tried it and got a little excited.

Vid 1 - https://vimeo.com/20663865
Vid 2 - https://vimeo.com/20663934

Again, NOT advised, but kinda fun when it works out!

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Opportunity came up in a match last night. I was down a couple of racks, and I had to see if I could gain on him. Ended up to steep for the cut on the BB, and called it, and played it soft off the rack.

Boom - Dead center in the corner pocket, with a nice spread. 5-6 balls were out for shooting.

So... it does come in handy and is a nice option when you are too far down, and have no options to come back and win other than going for it.

I was videoing the match, I'll have to see if I deleted it yet or not.