Efren playing straight pool

tfdr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
surely, If efren has devoted a litle more time in this game, He would have revolutionize this game as well just like what he has done with 9 ball and one pocket...

it would have been a beauty to see his creativity in straight pool...

tfdr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efren_Reyes

Straight pool mastery
Aside from being a notable player in the game of nine-ball, Reyes possesses a masterful skill in straight pool (14.1). He is widely known as the best 14.1 player in the Philippines. In 1995, Reyes dominated the Maine 14.1 Event besting very well-known names such as Jim Rempe and Earl Strickland. His highest run in that tournament was 123.[1]

In 2000, Reyes competed in the US Open 14.1 Championship. Although he didn't win and had to settle for third. He conquered notable players such as Oliver Ortmann, Thomas Engert and Mike Sigel. He even made an impressive run of 141 which was more than the one he made five years before.[2]

so this was his highest run??

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
He ran the 150-out on West, I believe. I watched that match in-person when I was at the event because I wanted to see how a straight-pool great like West would do against a modern great like Reyes. It was a shame West was seated the entire match, but it was exciting to watch Reyes run that many balls in a match. There were a lot of times throughout that match where Reyes played patterns in a strange way. When you make everything you shoot at, it really doesn't matter I guess.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
He ran the 150-out on West, I believe. ..
I thought that was the match with the controversial "foul with the side of your stick" play by Efren. Also, wasn't the high run 148 by Tony Robles? (As I recall, Tony started from -2 and had a chance at a 152.)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
I thought that was the match with the controversial "foul with the side of your stick" play by Efren. Also, wasn't the high run 148 by Tony Robles? (As I recall, Tony started from -2 and had a chance at a 152.)

Yeah, he ran a lot and then did that ferrule tap on the cue ball and lost 30 I think and had to rebreak. No 150 and out, although Dallas was hardly in the match.