Challenge of Champions dump

rivercitysledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you won't play Shane even in your hometown and in, supposedly your best game (2F9B), and a game he most certainly never plays.

But you'll play him even (with 2/1) in a neutral environment in one his best games.

Interesting.

just like he will play the 10 ball ghost on a diamond 10ftr

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know this must be terribly confusing

So you won't play Shane even in your hometown and in, supposedly your best game (2F9B), and a game he most certainly never plays.

But you'll play him even (with 2/1) in a neutral environment in one his best games.

Interesting.

I know this must be terribly confusing, and it tells a lot.....more than you can imagine.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this must be terribly confusing, and it tells a lot.....more than you can imagine.

You're afraid to play him in your best game, but you'll play him even in one of his. Yeah, just a little confusing.

I'm guessing you think the difference is getting 2/1 on the money. But there's one tiny aspect you seem to be overlooking. 2/1 on the money isn't even a spot if the person getting said spot can't get there.

By all means, though, if you're confident you can win that game then offer it to Shane.

I would pay good money to watch if it were streamed.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Please. You won't find too many posters who stick to the facts more than I. What offends you in the post you quoted? And what do you mean by "once again"?

I was already in soapbox mode for the evening from several conversations I had going on at the time.... My comments were in response to what I took as a knock at the espn tournament.... And the again statement was unfounded as you normally tend to stay on the facts... When a member is anon and doesn't sign their real name I tend to not remember them by their screenname as often as I should... Your stats have been a great contribution over the last couple of years... My apologies for the knee jerk reaction.....

Chris

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was merely suggestion a place that would be neutral, with Diamond Tables

Sorry you are off base. It's common sense that Shane won't play me that game in Ft. Worth, I was merely suggestion a place that would be neutral (with Diamond tables, Ft. Worth doesn't have any), where they like high stakes action. The only time Shane and I have gambled at 9-Ball it was even and I wasn't the one that quit.....he's a great player, and still human none the less.

You are thinking yourself into a state of confusion.....it's typical, you'll figure out how to prevent it as you become more experienced. 'My Game is your Teacher'

You're afraid to play him in your best game, but you'll play him even in one of his. Yeah, just a little confusing.

I'm guessing you think the difference is getting 2/1 on the money. But there's one tiny aspect you seem to be overlooking. 2/1 on the money isn't even a spot if the person getting said spot can't get there.

By all means, though, if you're confident you can win that game then offer it to Shane.

I would pay good money to watch if it were streamed.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
No big deal, Chris, it's easy to have "knee jerk reactions" with this crowd

I was already in soapbox mode for the evening from several conversations I had going on at the time.... My comments were in response to what I took as a knock at the espn tournament.... And the again statement was unfounded as you normally tend to stay on the facts... When a member is anon and doesn't sign their real name I tend to not remember them by their screenname as often as I should... Your stats have been a great contribution over the last couple of years... My apologies for the knee jerk reaction.....

Chris

No big deal, Chris, it's easy to have "knee jerk reactions" with this crowd sometimes. ;)

AtLarge does a pretty good job over-all. In his defense he though I was trying to trick him with my trivia question. He over-analyzed his answer a bit, no harm, no foul.

The answer was 4 times, three in singes (96,97,98) and once in doubles with LoreeJon when we won the ESPN World Doubles Championships.

The major billiard publication named me 'Player of the Year' that year so there was no doubt that the ESPN Tournament was considered a "Major" especially sense my last two opponents were Oliver Ortmann (WPA World Champion) and Earl Strickland (WPA World Champion).......the WPA sanctioned these tournaments along with the PCA and WPBA as legitimate world titles......and the ESPN 'Battle of the Sexes' had the highest ratings to date according to ESPN's producer (Gary Morgenstein).

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Thanks for the uncomplicated answer AtLarge.....I need an aspirin after trying to decipher that post. LoL ....

LMAO! i thought the same thing late last night & chalked it up to today hopefully shedding more light....

so who won your trivia contest?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
yes, there are mountains to bike on in Texas.

LMAO! i thought the same thing late last night & chalked it up to today hopefully shedding more light....

so who won your trivia contest?

The answer was "4 Times"....I haven't looked and am off to ride mountain bikes so I'll have to research it later.......and yes, there are mountains to bike on in Texas. :D

texas-big-bend-mountain-range.jpg

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny how that happened. The COC dump thread has now become a PR thread for CJ
You could see this from a mile away, just like the dump, If you're not to close minded to
"Real Eyes" it, or didn't have other intentions. All that protest was just laying the
ground work for the intended end result.
Feels almost like the old days (with a slight twist in the way you got there) when you had
your two or three threads of adds going all the time, LOL.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Texas Empire is the Teacher

Funny how that happened. The COC dump thread has now become a PR thread for CJ
You could see this from a mile away, just like the dump, If your not to close minded to
"Real Eyes" it. All that protest was just laying the ground work for the intended end
result.

It's also been promoting Buddy Hall's Clock System and Matt Braun, the legendary western writer that was heavily involved in pool through the 'Challenge of Champions' - anyone that hasn't had the chance to read any of Matt's books should take this opportunity to go to the book store asap.

The Texas Empire is the Teacher

n86543.jpg

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry you are off base. It's common sense that Shane won't play me that game in Ft. Worth, I was merely suggestion a place that would be neutral (with Diamond tables, Ft. Worth doesn't have any), where they like high stakes action. The only time Shane and I have gambled at 9-Ball it was even and I wasn't the one that quit.....he's a great player, and still human none the less.

You are thinking yourself into a state of confusion.....it's typical, you'll figure out how to prevent it as you become more experienced. 'My Game is your Teacher'

When exactly was the only time you and Shane gambled?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Chris

Thank you for apologizing. I think it is fair to present the facts about the 1996 ESPN event and let people make their own decisions as to whether it was a true world championship. In my judgment, it was not -- for several reasons -- despite the big money.

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this really a dump? Your opinion ...

You are allowing CJ to hijack this thread. This thread is about whether it was a dump, and the specifics of the dump. Like Buddy's tries to scratch, again and again, with some success. The absurd miss of the 8 and the equally absurd dog of the 8-9 combo. This amazing farce.

But this is one of the greatest all-time threads on AZ.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the WPA sanctioned these tournaments along with the PCA and WPBA as legitimate world titles...

Sanctioned, eh. But the 1996 WPA World 9-Ball Championship was played later in the year than the ESPN event and was won by Ralf Souquet, as shown on the WPA website.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When exactly was the only time you and Shane gambled?

I know Shane did a gambling tour in the Alabama to Texas area when he was maybe 17. He beat most everyone including some pros. I heard about him at the time only as "some deaf kid". He was still fairly unknown about 2 years later when he beat a buncha people in Vegas and was then known as 'some deaf kid named Shane'. A year or two later he was generally known as a champion.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Shane did a gambling tour in the Alabama to Texas area when he was maybe 17. He beat most everyone including some pros. I heard about him at the time only as "some deaf kid". He was still fairly unknown about 2 years later when he beat a buncha people in Vegas and was then known as 'some deaf kid named Shane'. A year or two later he was generally known as a champion.

Thanks. Pretty much my point.

CJ playing and making Shane quit (pre 2010) has much less substance than doing it in the last 2 years.

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around 2005 in Atlanta, I think at one of Johnny Archer's tournaments maybe when he and Kim opened the room in Marietta, Corey gave Shane the 8 playing 10 ball (or 9 ball) on a ridiculously tight one-pocket table in Atlanta, sort of a gaff game, and beat Shane as I recall.

Last edited: