Alex Pagulayan and the Australian Open Qualifier 2014

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Highfield lost in a nail-biter.

Ian Glover, Alex' likely opponent, lost in a lackluster showing.

Alex and Glover are scheduled to play Saturday 10 am Zulu time, 5 am on the East Coast.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
Looks like a tougher qualifying process for the Australian, maybe due to the bigger prize money. I'm assuming the top 16 pros are all pre-qualified on this one. None of their names appear on the qualifying rounds.
The Draw

Interestingly the losers prize money is listed for each round. You get nowt for losing in round 1 again, and a massive £83 for losing in round 2. Unless you live in Gloucester I'd say you'd need to get through to round 3 to even come close to covering expenses. Losers of round 4 get £889, which isn't a bad screw for a few hours fun, but I'd be interested to know how the winners money compares to the cost of a return flight and digs in Australia. Maybe Barry's got it all sorted out - Hearns Package Holidays.

All Thai pros have been withdrawn due to visa issues resulting from the turmoil at home. I assume it means they wouldn't have any hope of getting a visa processed for entry to China or Australia if they did qualify.
Star Snooker Academy

Boro Nut

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Q school success

words from Oliver Brown:

"There are a lot of chances for amateurs these days in terms of playing in the European and Asian Tour events, and the ranking events if you do well enough in Q School," added Brown, who faces Andrew Norman in the first round of Australian Goldfields Open qualifying this week. "Hopefully it is giving me a feel for things for when I do turn pro. I will be playing in as much as I can this season and trying to earn a tour card."

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
Looking at the draw it seems like Alex will have his work cut out to make it to the competition proper. I think we may have to make the most of the free viewing in the qualifiers, so make sure you put the following in your planner

Round 1
Alex is first up against Ian Burns (unranked) - at 6:00pm on Friday 30th May.

Round 2
The winner plays Jamie Burnett (World ranked 33) on Saturday 31st at 7:00pm.

Round 3
The winner of that plays the winner of Peter Lines (50) versus Eliot Slessor (73) or Syd Wilson (amateur), at 11:00am on Monday 2nd June.

Round 4
Anybody's guess who he would play - not sure how the bracket works or if the draw has even been made, but it will be against one of the players ranked 17 to 32 at either 11:00am or 5:00pm on Tuesday 3rd June.

All times in local BST (British Summer Time) which is GMT+1hr.

Also let's not forget Chris Melling, who has a kinder draw and must fancy his chances:
Round 1
Versus Ross Muir (74) on Saturday 31st at 10:00am

Round 2
The winner of that plays Stuart Carrington (57) at 5:00pm on Sunday 1st June.

Round 3
The winner of that plays the winner of Anthony McGill (36) versus either Joel Walker (unranked) or Brandon Sargeant (amateur) at 5:00pm on Monday 2nd June.

Round 4
As above.

Boro Nut

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
time

Alex' match might be at 1 pm here on the east coast, I'm still struggling with the time. In that case I think it would be 12 midnight in Bangcock.

It won't be streamed but we can still follow it.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex' match might be at 1 pm here on the east coast, I'm still struggling with the time. In that case I think it would be 12 midnight in Bangcock.

It won't be streamed but we can still follow it.

its another hour which is 1 AM thailand and 2 PM east coast of North America another 40 minutes.....