Gold Crown VI now on BrunswickBilliards web site

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the bronze trim on my GC IV...looks like only nickel trim available for GC VI

dearnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that the V looks better. And that's not just because I have one. I noticed in the Brunswick site for the 6.that the rail color is different from the skirt. It all sure looks photo shopped. It's funny to see the V right above the 6 on that website. It overshadows the 6.

I have never had an issue with the metal trim on my V. It seems very durable, has never done anything to my clothes, and looks damn gorgeous. It was setup about four years ago to the day by Juston Markell of Pro Billiards in Michigan and has never been re-leveled. It rolls perfect. I play it daily.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipOEGkgiFj38vGzrv05mokPd3lkDnZz7u7cd1e06

dearnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thought. I consider the design elements of the VI to be more modern. The curves on the rails and corner castings for example. However, is that really what someone interested in the Gold Crown brand is looking for (e.g. see all the reactions in this post)?

To me, "Gold Crown" speaks to nostalgia, to the glory days of pocket billiards, to a table with an iconic look and feel that is seared into the mind of a generation of professionals and enthusiasts. So for this consumer, anything that strays too far from that makes it less and less of a Gold Crown.

I thought the V was an excellent balance between the old and the new. It has a elegance and class of a Gold Crown. You see and feel the historical pedigree while appreciating the modern updates that make it more serviceable, functional, and aesthetically pleasing.

Here's a thought for Brunswick. How about reintroducing the Gold Crown I for example. How many of you would go for the look and feel of a new, retro Gold Crown I that incorporates modern structural improvements versus the new aesthetics of the Gold Crown VI?

I think if Brunswick would simply focusing on improving the performance and functionality without mucking with the aesthetics as much, they'd at least have the enthusiast community more excited about the table. Now whether that makes for a profitable product line is anyone's guess (probably not, I suppose).

At what point does a Gold Crown cease to be a Gold Crown?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the preeminent goal of any manufacturer is to keep their products relevant - to every possible person on the planet - from the new customers eyeing their latest model while also paying homage to those folks that got them where they are in the present. The Gold Crown is no exemption and possibly even a perfect example of these sentiments.

Every new model of the GC has been instantly recognizable - and when you see them all lined up as you would in a museum, you can see their design lineage as if the same person or team created every new release - as they themselves aged along with the table.

There is a lot that goes into any brand, and as we all know, the GC predominantly leaves us all with an abundance of trust. Familiarity. All wrapped in nostalgia and history spanning 173 years now. All things considered, you know what to expect. How they play and how those balls sound when hitting the back of the pockets to name a few we can all relate to.

We don’t want a “new” GC1 manufactured today. If we want a GC1, we can get one restored.

We don’t want an older design with the limits of engineering and design from that era - and if we want nostalgia like that, well, we get one restored. Or original if that’s what drives you.

The only way a Gold Crown will cease being a Gold Crown in any capacity is when they are (first) no longer being manufactured - and (second) when we stop taking care of them and sharing them and passing them along to the next generation.

I believe this latest iteration of the iconic GC is simply stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball storage....................???

I've gotten three different responses from Brunswick as to whether or not the drop-pocket version of the 6 has a storage slot. Seems like a pretty simple question BUT i've been told: Yes, it does. No, it doesn't. And, i'm not sure. Has anyone seen one up close yet? The pics on the Japanese site show storage slots on both versions. Whoever answers messages at Brunswick must work in accounting 'cause they don't know jack about their own products.