can you build me a lathe?

jumunjo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have seen several people on here that have posted pictures of homemade lathes.

i would like someone to build a lathe for me to my specification. mostly taig or similar parts.

i know exactly what i want, and it wont be complicated!

please leave contact details and i will forward my specs for consideration and for you to quote.

thanks in advance.

Tony

ps if you have built a lathe before and want to replicate it also let me know. ta

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris Hightower has built a couple - check with him
Same for Todd Schultz

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is very vague specs on your lathe. Do you want a tipping lathe, cnc lathe, manual lathe with a carriage that has feeds? Threading? Probably best to expand on what you would like to do on said lathe.

jumunjo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi CanadianCue,

fair point i was/am at work so was short on time in my original message.

i am looking for a micro lathe to do tipping on ONLY. nothing else. Highly portable and with a tool post that i can attach a dremmel/ similar tool too.

Only addition being an attachment to do one piece cues if required.

not a cowboy cues but not quite a hightower etc

hope this helps.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Building a lathe for cue work from scratch is silly....... you will just end up spending loads of time and more money than an already purposed lathe for that work.

Get a small one that fits your needs........ call Todd at Midamerica or Chris at Cueman and tell them what you want to do and listen to them.....................

What ever you do....................... DO NOT GET THE SEWING MACHINE MOTOR..................get a DC variable speed that fits your needs..........

Kim

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one in this section
Taig based for tips and ferrules

On my phone or would have copied and paste

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can help

Save yourself time and money. These things have been discussed many times and hundreds of people have spent hundreds of hours experimenting.

Call Hightower tell him what you want, spend the money to get the correct lathe to do what you want it to do.

JC

Coos Cues
Building a lathe for cue work from scratch is silly....... you will just end up spending loads of time and more money than an already purposed lathe for that work.

Get a small one that fits your needs........ call Todd at Midamerica or Chris at Cueman and tell them what you want to do and listen to them.....................

What ever you do....................... DO NOT GET THE SEWING MACHINE MOTOR..................get a DC variable speed that fits your needs..........

Kim

Curious what's the issue with the sewing machine motor Kim?

Thanks,

JC

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't agree more with the advice to call Chris about a Cue Smith lathe. Talked to him about three and a half years ago, took his advice and I couldn't be happier. Instead of paying 40-45 dollars to try a new tip, I do it myself.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious what's the issue with the sewing machine motor Kim?

Thanks,

JC

They're usually only 1/5 HP. They have pretty much no torque and tend to overheat easily. I've burned out several and I only use them for linen wraps. Granted...I usually do 3-4 wraps back to back so that probably has something to do with it but I hate linen so much by personal preference that I wait until the end of the week and do them all at once and then usually consider flogging myself for even offering linen.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Kim

actually i totally would agree with you in general but not this time

he only wants to do tips....thats it

we know he more than likely knows nothing about machining.

so he will get a lathe spend a 750 or a grand and put the shaft in and use the cutter or dremel and

hummmm why the hell is the tip even on this side after turning down but its hanging over on the other side? but the shafts centered?

dammit every time i try to get the tip to be flush i have to end up sanding the ferrule because i knicked it with the tool or i have to sand in the tip side but its not perfect

the edges are close to even but one is off a little and the tip of the tip seems to be an odd egg type shape that leans a little in its dome.....barely

so homie gets advice to use a razor blade because thats better

when he just had no idea about tool push off....how to sharpen or keep bits sharp, about steadying centers or warps or lack there of a steady causing shaft end flutters.

all because he knows nothing of machining but has a grand to blow

bro....buy an arbor that fits the shaft and a drill that will chuck inot the back of it. get a footpedal to plug the drill into and then the wall.

mount the drill to a board

and after trimming the tip some with a razor blade off the rig

put it in the drill press the pedal and wear a leather glove on your back hand to steady the shaft and use a razor blade in the other hand and cut the tip sides flush.

he probably got a drill lying around and just needs a razor and an arbor and one oj simpson glove from goodwill.

seen it happen dozens of times every egg head with no knowledge and money to spend on a lathe basically does exactly this.

buy a machining for dummies book first for a few bucks before you spend hundreds on a tool you know squat about from people you dont know from slim. or buy hightowers book on cue building......crash course on cue building just to do tips is overkill but why the hell not lol. at least specific to task and wont get lost in the machine jargon and other industry info.

Disclaimer* Todd and Chris hightower are both awesome guys with good products. They have good customer service and are always helpful. I dont know anyone who would talk bad about either of them.

as yall was.....