Joint Protectors

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I'm just curious as to how many of you use JPs. Back in the day when we had a local pool hall it was fairly common - but I joined a league last May - and almost nobody has them. So who uses?

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
I use the mainly because it’s easier to grab everything out of the case.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
wow .. well - like jimmyco I get a set with every cue I buy. There's 3 or 4 beaters I don't worry about, but I have them. To be honest, I don't have anything fancy - but I've been thinking about getting a set for my Dan Janes cue. The guy that did my conversion piece maybe ... New Sheriff In town? Dont know if he does that - but he does nice work. I'm just really surprised that there aren't more folks local that use them. I constantly get "what the hell are those"? IDK .. whatever.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use them for most of my cues, and the ones that don't have em are either cheap cues or in a very nice hard case.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My case was open as I put it into the car...2 cues and shafts came out partially and hit the asphalt ground ...the JPs saved everything. They got scratched up but did their job. They were inexpensive JP's.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to give a bit of a plug, since I got my JB case I do not really worry about the joint protectors being on.

They do add a nice touch to a good quality cue though even if you don't think about the actual "protection" part. Your cue may not be customized but it's not too expensive to get a more personal set of JPs. When my son went to one of his junior national events and went with a cue given as a give to him by Ed Bishop, I had a set made for him with his to match his new cue name on the cue one and cue shafts were numbered since he had a couple so he knew which was which.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty much never, unless they happened to come with cue but have never went out of my way to get them. One exception, kinda. I bought adet that looked like a.bullet, unscrewed and had a scuffer inside, a ***** tool, and a small storage space for ( whatever ). Now though; someone mentioned Jim Baxter, amd I have been a fan of his work for quote some time. I am thinking about trying to get him to male a set for me ( not so much for.protection but rather his cause they perrrty! ) As much as like Jim Baxter's work I do have to say this though : I got a brand new cue made from me from a well know maker about a year or two and I was gonna get a set of JP's from Baxter. I did message him with what materials I wanted used and a general idea od what I wanted but specified id leave it mostly up to him as I was cerain whatever I ended up getting would be gorgeous. I also asked for any kinda ballpark on price, and I didn't need an exact quote because ot would be what it is amd jist curious. ( I knew these were gonna be high end even for him bit didn't care ). I.did get one.response, seemed pretty much disinterested and I never heard back from him so I said f it. I MIGHT give him one more try, but if not there's quite a few folks doing crazy good work on FB And less wait time along with lower prices so we will see I suppose.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I use joint protectors cuz mine has skullz on em!

Attachments

• IMG_20170701_103704.jpg
    IMG_20170701_103704.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 882

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are on all my cues, except the J/B. I'm not really sure how much protection they offer, but most of my joints are Ivory, better safe than sorry! And, the look cool.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Joint caps

Joint caps are a must have on any cue and when I get some free time I’ll make a set or two.
Nothing real fancy.. not taking orders...What I turn out is what I turn out...

Rob.M

Pangit

Banned
Has anyone actually damaged a cue without joint protectors? If you have, I would suggest you aren't taking care of your stuff.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always use them. If the mfg offers them then I go with those, like the ones for my OB break cue. For my Runde I found a guy on Facebook who makes them from pool balls and he does really good work, was able to match the joint diameter of my Runde perfect. Tried other custom ones before and they never fit right.