Favorite Cuemaker (ONLY ONE!)

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Bob Frey hands down. From being a part of all of the original Joss cues, the old logo Tim Scruggs cues to all of the fabulous playing cues that have come out of his shop I don't think any maker has been involved in so many magnificent cues.

Last edited:

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good hitters

I like the fact that there are so many different cue makers listed as the best. When glancing over the different names it gives us knowledge that many cuemakers make great hitting cues. You dont have to select from one or two. There is a multitude of craftsman that can turn out a decent product. The chase for The ultimate hitter is certainly worth the lifetime effort.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
James D. McDermott, and the McDermott named corporation prospering in Wisconsin today, building cues which would have pleased Jim, as far as I can judge. The four leaf clover lives on.

For value in simple durability using handsome wood the 1984-89 D4 or the 2004-08 M4-3B Tempe,
for classic good looks in a window style cue the 2001-05 M1-4D Portico,
for overall design elegance the M7-9A 2007 Cue of the Year,
and for continuing to build cues with durability and straight shafts starting at a price point lower than Jim's first cues, taking inflation into account,
and for advancing cue building methods and technology.

Yes, McD left sharp points and pantos behind in favor of CNC inlays, but they do great inlays, and many true custom builders rely on CNC today.

I've not so much enthusiasm for their painted and decal cues, but those have a market and wear a different brand.

bhanson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy.... Esoteric. Best playing cues I've ever had the pleasure to play with, and Rick is a hell of a guy to work with. Highly recommend anyone who has never hit with Rick's cues to get their hands on one asap.

tulipplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dickie neighbors makes a heck of a cue. All I've played with for the last five years. Before I got it I used to change cues as often as my underwear.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BOB OWEN.......what a great guy to do business with and the cues he makes are equal to any ever made in any period.......the looks and hit of his cues sets the height of the bar for others to attain.

Matt B.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned many custom and production cues. A great player could win with any one of them,; but, the one I have kept and will always go back to in a big game is my Richard Black Split Diamond, it has the best unaltered balance of any cue I ever played with and to me, balance in a cue supports the beginning and end of a great stroke. A great stroke is the essence of great play for most successful pool players.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cues

I like the fact that there are so many different cue makers listed as the best. When glancing over the different names it gives us knowledge that many cuemakers make great hitting cues. You dont have to select from one or two. There is a multitude of craftsman that can turn out a decent product. The chase for The ultimate hitter is certainly worth the lifetime effort.

If it plays well and will hold year after year, its a keeper .

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just one

If I had to pick just one it would be Hercek, that is only because he completed the cue to a personal design.

If it wasn't for that it would be Mike Bender, I have owned two of his cues and will have another (in process) but he is a friend I have shot with, drank with and BS'ed with. I have never met Joel but did have some good conversations on the phone and is a stand up gentleman, both are TOP TIER!!!!