Help with cue butts out there that will fit good on a Diveney shaft?

I am getting a couple of Diveney shafts in the mail, and looking to buy a Diveney butt that will successfully fit good on the shafts (with no issues, like maybe wrong size thread or different type of radial thread if that is even possible, or maybe the pin being too long).

I am asking this question, because I understand that joint pins can be different, even if 2 joint pins are the same (like 3/8x10 for example), they might be different (I know because I have had this type of issue in the past).

So, I would like to know if I have anything to worry about with any butt (that has a radial pin on it) not fitting good and perfect an the same joint type shaft (which in this case, Diveney shafts are for radial pin joints).

Has anyone here (that reads this) ever tried a butt that is not a Diveney on a Diveney shaft, and was the fit good?

I have 1 more question, and that is if anyone knows any really cheap production cues (like under $100 price range) that have Radial pin joints on them?

I want to know of some other cue makers (production cues) that use a radial pin on their cues.

Thanks

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Experts just buy whole cues. Pat uses the same 3/8x10 on all his cues so the shafts should be fine.

Radial is a different story. There are several knockoff varieties.

Last edited:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask

I shoot with one of Pat's cues and have 2 of his radial pin Lake Salvage shafts. Not sure where your getting the Diveney shafts from, but they might be able to tell you what pin fits. I thought a radial pin was it's own type of pin. If a buddy has a radial pin butt you could try it or ask Pat. Pat is about done with making me a butt to fit one of the spare radial pin shafts I sent back to him so that is also an option. He is a reliable, honest and friendly cue maker.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I am getting a couple of Diveney shafts in the mail, and looking to buy a Diveney butt that will successfully fit good on the shafts (with no issues, like maybe wrong size thread or different type of radial thread if that is even possible, or maybe the pin being too long).

I am asking this question, because I understand that joint pins can be different, even if 2 joint pins are the same (like 3/8x10 for example), they might be different (I know because I have had this type of issue in the past).

So, I would like to know if I have anything to worry about with any butt (that has a radial pin on it) not fitting good and perfect an the same joint type shaft (which in this case, Diveney shafts are for radial pin joints).

Has anyone here (that reads this) ever tried a butt that is not a Diveney on a Diveney shaft, and was the fit good?

I have 1 more question, and that is if anyone knows any really cheap production cues (like under $100 price range) that have Radial pin joints on them?

I want to know of some other cue makers (production cues) that use a radial pin on their cues.

Thanks

Getting the shafts first seems like the cart before the horse, but I would just find a 3/8-10 butt with the joint collar diameter as close to the diviney shafts as you can find.
.850 or so, it probably varies a little with sneakies and everything.

I had a Fury sneaky pete with a standard radial pin, cost me $60 new on Ebay, retail
was $150, I sold it for $70 and made a cool $10 profit>>:cool:

Charlie D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Pats lakewood shaft on my Capone cue fits like a glove. Radial pin. Nothing wrong with Mike's shafts though. Charlie D

I received the shafts in the mail, so now I just need a butt that will fit them. So you are saying that a 3/8x10 pin butt will fit the shafts (that were on a radial pin Diveney butt)? If that is true, then any cheap Mcdermott butt should fit just fine on the shafts? Thanks.

Getting the shafts first seems like the cart before the horse, but I would just find a 3/8-10 butt with the joint collar diameter as close to the diviney shafts as you can find.
.850 or so, it probably varies a little with sneakies and everything.

I had a Fury sneaky pete with a standard radial pin, cost me $60 new on Ebay, retail
was $150, I sold it for $70 and made a cool $10 profit>>:cool:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I received the shafts in the mail, so now I just need a butt that will fit them. So you are saying that a 3/8x10 pin butt will fit the shafts (that were on a radial pin Diveney butt)? If that is true, then any cheap Mcdermott butt should fit just fine on the shafts? Thanks.

The good news is the pin will be a standard 3/8-8 radial, nothing odd.
I may of mis-read the part about what you actually ordered, but I wouldn't worry about the radial pin shafts from Diviney.
If you buy some really cheap butt with a radial pin who knows.
The Fury sneaky I mentioned fit other radials, but I remember an Elite cue with a foreign radial pin and nothing else would fit.

Use the Dale Perry cue you had a while back, and you problems will be solved>:eek:

Okay, so it will be a gamble on any cue butt that I buy (for the Diveney shafts), unless it is a Diveney cue butt? You noted 3/8x8, so that is the size of a radial pin on Diveney cues? So a 3/8x10 mcdermott pin would not work on the shafts, right? Do most Radial pin cues have that same 3/8x8 radial pin? You noted that the foreign ones (cheap Chinese imports?) would probably be a different size then 3/8x8, right? Thanks for your help.

The good news is the pin will be a standard 3/8-8 radial, nothing odd.
I may of mis-read the part about what you actually ordered, but I wouldn't worry about the radial pin shafts from Diviney.
If you buy some really cheap butt with a radial pin who knows.
The Fury sneaky I mentioned fit other radials, but I remember an Elite cue with a foreign radial pin and nothing else would fit.

Use the Dale Perry cue you had a while back, and you problems will be solved>:eek:

I do not have the money to order a butt from Diveney, or even have a local cue maker make me a butt for the shafts (I assume that even a local cue maker would charge a lot to make a cue butt for the shafts). I need to find something really cheap (like in the $100 range).

As a last resort you could always buy a Diveney Butt .... ?

So a southwest style cue (with the 3/8x11 pin) would probably work? That is a really long pin. Very surprising that it worked, but I know nothing about the way joints or cues are made.

i used to have a mike stacey butt with diveney shaft, but that's a 3/8-11

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
So a southwest style cue (with the 3/8x11 pin) would probably work? That is a really long pin. Very surprising that it worked, but I know nothing about the way joints or cues are made.

No, 3/8-11 wont work
Why not buy a Dp on Ebay?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
You need a pin to fit the shafts. If the shafts are radial, buy a radial. Make sure it is a real radial. Only buy from reputable cuemkers. No cheesy imports.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I have one by this seller, which is very similar to one of the other cues he has for sale (right side of my avatar). I bought mine last year with a 3/8 x 10 joint and no logo on it at all. Now they seem to put "MR" on them and have switched to 3/8 x 11 pin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR-Stunning...655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a466dd97f

So... If 3/8 x 11 joint will work, you can't go wrong buying one of these. The shafts they come with are surprisingly good as well, so even if you get this cue and it won't work with your new Diveny shafts, you still end up with a good 2-shaft cue set for under a c-note.

These cues are no joke. Everyone who's ever hit with mine loves it...

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call a major retailer. I like Neilsons aka ebay Joe Rackem. Let them recommend a cue w/shaft that uses the same pin, choose one in your budget, buy it.

Return if not satisfied. Keep it, and you can gift or sell that cue later, after your immediate need is resolved.

Fit is changeable apparently. My 2007 McDermott 3/8x10 shaft with plastic insert is way too tight a fit on my 1983 McD butt with supposedly same 3/8x10 pin. Dont know about radials,

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
All 4-5 Diveney cues I've seen in person have had the real Radial,either in stainless or G-10.

The Radial pin I measured years ago was in a Dale Perry cue and was .370 diameter (just a hair under 3/8) and the thread per inch was 7.637,most certainly NOT 8.

You would need a 1/8 radius gage,a 10x jewelers loupe and a LED flashlight to tell the difference,unless you have a shaft that have both the real Radial threads,plus one that fits the "import" version.

If you ordered shafts from Pat,they will only fit the real deal,AFAIK. Tommy D.