Red pad on Tiger 'LD X 'carom shaft

Dose the 'red pad' on the ferrule of a Tiger 'LD X' Carom shaft serve a specific purpose.

I had new tips put on these shafts, Kamui/blk/S when I got the shafts back, the 'red' pads were still on them! I thought the tips that came with the cue had the pads on them! The cuemaker told me they were glued to the ferrules, so he left them.

Can tips be glued directly to the ferrule with these 'LD' shafts?

Now, I don't like the way the tips play and sound!

Any input, advise?

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Tiger Products.

Is it possibly an Everest tip on the shaft?

They have a Red Pad on the bottom to let you know when it is a good height to change it out.

Sorry, maybe I didn't read your post right. The only times that I have left a pad on is when changing a tip on an OB shaft. They have a carbon Fiber pad.

Those and Predator break shafts. And it has been so long since I have done a Pred break shaft, that I can't remember if they have an actual pad. I have cut the phenolic tip off and left a small layer of the phenolic on the ferrule to glue the new tip on is what I believe I did in that case.

Old age memory, you might know how that goes some days.

I hadn't ever checked to see if the Everest was just a dyed layer or an actual fiber pad.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Dose the 'red pad' on the ferrule of a Tiger 'LD X' Carom shaft serve a specific purpose.

I had new tips put on these shafts, Kamui/blk/S when I got the shafts back, the 'red' pads were still on them! I thought the tips that came with the cue had the pads on them! The cuemaker told me they were glued to the ferrules, so he left them.

Can tips be glued directly to the ferrule with these 'LD' shafts?

Now, I don't like the way the tips play and sound!

Any input, advise?

My understanding from Tony is they are just a red fiber backing pad, no structural purpose. It gives the ferrule/tip a clean look and does provide a little separation for a shaved down tip. As long as you don't let the tip get too low, you will be fine. Other than appearance, the pad is meaningless. You can definitely glue tips to the ferrules without the pad - I have since the Pro X was introduced with no issues.

Predators, however, have a phenolic pad and they say it's important for protection of the ferrule and the hollow shaft.

My understanding from Tony is they are just a red fiber backing pad, no structural purpose. It gives the ferrule/tip a clean look and does provide a little separation for a shaved down tip. As long as you don't let the tip get too low, you will be fine. Other than appearance, the pad is meaningless. You can definitely glue tips to the ferrules without the pad - I have since the Pro X was introduced with no issues.

Predators, however, have a phenolic pad and they say it's important for protection of the ferrule and the hollow shaft.

Thanks for the info!

Number13cfan