SHOCK DOCTOR for Back Hand Wrist Stability... This works.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most Sports (including Pool/Billiards) have personal 'supporting equipment' to help/aid participants to preform repetitive task more constantly accurate. For Pool it could be as simple as one's need for proper fitting Eye glasses or a say even a pair of shoes designed to 'aid' in either sustained comfort for hours of play and/or provide for a non-slipping stance for difficult shots Etc...

Well for myself (and apparently others ...now that I have been looking for a solution), I have noticed that during my 'Shot delivery' especially after shooting for sometime (or when I'm getting tired) I get a little 'back hand' whippy (care free... sometimes too care free) and lose CB delivery accuracy (ie let the CB go). For me, I usually play pretty strong for like the first 45 mins or so but then other 'worldly factors' creep into my focus range and I start to get a bit sloppy with my 'Back hand' (wrist action specifically) creating 'unnecessary pool table pain'. (Oh and I don't use stimulants/or other to hang every shot off of, so this also is another reason I was looking for more 'staying power' for consistent back hand delivery for the longer sessions/tournaments etc....

Watching the likes of Stevie Moore's 'work-a-rounds' and many other Pro's 'back hand' 'work-a-rounds'...(and yes even Earls MANY 'work 'work-a-rounds' lol) many have tried (and still use) a product called ProShot Billiard Glove... you can google for images as I did....but found that since 2010 that Company no longer is in business and there is very little 'Billiard parallel's' to consider.

I happened to be looking into this further last week and found something that truly fits the bill for our sport. Its a wrist stabilizer from a company called Shock Doctor and is sold at Dick's Sporting Goods (or online).

The exact Model I'm referring to is called "Shock Doctor Wrist 3-Strap Support". You can view the Product here... there a simple video for other sports etc..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11596148

I can tell you that this Model 824, the 3-Strap Model ( not the single strap model 822) will absolutely shut down any "back hand lateral wrist whippiness" that creeps into your stroke while allowing moderate amount of 'hammer' type of movement as well as full finger grip control. (tighten/loosen as needed).

I'm 5'7, medium build with very average hand and wrist measurements so I thought a medium size would be a close fit. Well in my quest for discovery I went into a Dick's Sporting Goods store and there they all were... I shoot right handed so my right hand is my back hand so I put on a Medium sized 824 3-Strapped wrist brace just to see if it was going to function as I envisioned. Well I can say I'm definitely NOT a Medium for this product. Apparently I have a wider hand than I thought relatively. Next I tried the Large.... Much better fit (and the last one on the shelf) so I chose that one... I think I'd of went with the Extra Large (if it was on the shelf) but the only XL that this store had was for the Left Hand... it felt even better (better sized) for our purposes in pool.

(edit)Btw you can open the package and try it on in the store.. or simply return it if using Dicks online purchase.

I've used this product (large) now for the past 4 days and I can say this is a great aid to get the whip out of your 'back hand spanking' issue. It will simply shut off 95% of your lateral wrist action back hand movement during shoot delivery. This is even more noticeable on higher power shots like massive draws and especially break shots... Hammer type movements are not very restricted at all even with this 3 strap model (824 ) as it fits VERY snug over the top of your hand.

I'm here to tell you it is a great tool/ Aid for those looking to get the whip out for a more consistent shot delivery for every part of your pool game. I really think with the evolution of all sports equipment our sport can really benefit from these parallel advances in sports medicine. Being in medicine myself, even as a Dentist for the past 25 years, we are always looking for advancements to better our performance outcomes. Pool is no exception... just look at all of our new and expanding tools.. (from tables, clothes, balls, cues, tips, to personal wear -eyewear, shoes and even shirts now ask JA.. ) This 'wrist stabilizing' tool could be a game changer for many... simply because it offers a repeatable reference our brain can use as a anchor during shot delivery. I really think this tool has been either 'not available' to many and/or has been mistakenly OVERLOOKED....

This tool truly locks out the 'bank hand' Whip in your stroke. It you get a chance I would try it for a couple of hours to see for yourself why 'some' of our top pros are migrating to this from of a stable back hand reference. I'm really impressed how this actually works so well for me.

Hope this helps...

Randy

Thanks again AZ and Predator for the Beautiful PREDATOR THRONE 3 Cue that I won in the December GOLD Mine giveaway...

Total Awesome.

Last edited:

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member
Pro Shot Glove

...many have tried (and still use) a product called ProShot Billiard Glove... you can google for images as I did....but found that since 2010 that Company no longer is in business and there is very little 'Billiard parallel's' to consider.

I think you're mistaken here - I just got one of these a couple of months ago. It's definitely still available.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I got one from Dick's last week...it definitely helps eliminate unwanted lateral wrist movement. It take a little feel/touch away, but I saw some significant improvement on long, straight in shots and cut shots at half a pocket. Jury's still out if I'll keep using it. I had some minor difficulty pulling off successful jump shots and masse's with it, but that could improve with time. I definitely noticed improvement overall in my game immediately. Makes me wonder why more folks aren't using one, especially with all the other gadgets/gimmicks out there...It may prove to be a better training aid than something you'd want to use in competition, not sure...

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I just saw this. Very interesting. I just moved and have a Dick's Sporting Goods about 15 minutes from my house.

I wonder how this truly compares to the ProShot Glove? More or less features?

I was just about to pull the trigger on the ProShot. Now I think I'll go to Dick's tomorrow and see if I can at least try one on.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just saw this. Very interesting. I just moved and have a Dick's Sporting Goods about 15 minutes from my house.

I wonder how this truly compares to the ProShot Glove? More or less features?

I was just about to pull the trigger on the ProShot. Now I think I'll go to Dick's tomorrow and see if I can at least try one on.

IMO its better, more stabilizing etc.:wink:

Randy

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I just bought the Shock Doctor today at my local Dick's Sporting Goods.

NO ONE should go buy one. It, um, well.....er.....OK, it's sweet. :)

I took it straight to my NAPA league night and only got a couple of shots in during 2 warm-up games, before having to go play with it for real. Yes, it felt weird. It felt constrictive. It took away some of the feel/touch that was mentioned above. But, I'll be damned if it doesn't keep your wrist straight as an arrow.

I had NO IDEA how much the wrist was the key to your game. Because I constantly kept feeling myself wanting to twist and turn my wrist, yet the Shock Doctor would have none of it. Consequently, my stroke was straight and I was pocketing everything except the occasional low percentage shot.

Actually, I say my stroke was straight. And technically it was. But, as I practiced lagging (lagger's choice session), just moments prior to my match....I noticed my CB was tracking pretty noticeably to the left. I quickly realized my body was in the way of my stroke and I had been hitting "across the CB". I made a subtle adjustment to my stance/body alignment and it ironed most of that out. But, it's food for thought when I can get back to the table.

I ended up beating a lower level player 5-1 in 8B, in what was a race to 4 for him. While he did make me work a bit, only a failed BIH attempt on a "small" side pocket....trying to solve a problem-ball....stood between me and a "Rackless" match. It was a feast or famine attempt, and I went hungry on it, while my opponent got out to taste his only score.

I got home, actually looked at the instructions, and realized that you can adjust/remove some bracing in it. So, now I can't wait to get to the practice table and see if I can get really comfy with this equipment.

Again, I don't need any more competition, so I implore you....do not buy this brace!

P.S. I'm a lefty, so I obviously bought one for that side. But, considering how well it works, I'm seriously thinking about picking up one for my right side, so I can practice off-handed. I'm fairly ambidextrous, but lean towards being a righty, in reverting but pool bad shooting a gun. It's too long of a story for here, but I see the table much more clearly from the right side....and have a nice stroke, but once every few shots or so, my right wrist will just do a crazy spasm-twist and I'll drive the OB into the rail.

I think the Shock Doctor would fix that. I'd LOVE to switch over to being a righty, as I think I could be a better player in the long run.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
This is a little unclear, but any other thoughts on sizing? I measured my wrist at 7" which puts me right between large and XL. I think the above says that I should lean toward the XL. I'll be ordering online so I won't be able to try them out first.

That's me, too...this model has two adjustable straps that do all you need for stability. If it's too tight in the palm area you'll not have any feel or too short from knuckles to wrist you won't get the benefit of immobilizing your lateral wrist movement. Go XL.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you!

Sorry about the confusion guys/girls... I'm continuing to wear it 100% while shooting.. still love the support it offers to 'get back' to a more orthodox shot delivery stroke that Mark Wilson's new book discusses in detail.

Randy

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I need help deciding which glove to get. I'm a broke student, and money is tight.

I can't decide between the pro glove, or the shock doctor. Here are the points in my head:

Pro Glove:
1. Pro Glove is Cheaper by 10$ (kind of a biggish deal)
2. Pro Glove looks a little sleeker and compact based on the unclear internet photos.
3. Pro Glove looks less comfortable and more of a training tool.
4. Pro Glove is 100% intended for pool.
5. I think the pro glove can go on either hand.

Shock Glove:
1. The drive is slightly closer to a Brick and Mortars shop where I could try on the different sizes.
2. The Shock Doctor looks like it might be more comfortable.
3. Looks like it might be easier to take on and off.
4. Shock Doctor has different sizes (Pro Glove doesn't show any on the site).

If anyone could possibly weigh in?
I feel like I'm leaning more towards the Shock Doctor, because it's closer, I can try it out and it seems like it would be more comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most Sports (including Pool/Billiards) have personal 'supporting equipment' to help/aid participants to preform repetitive task more constantly accurate. For Pool it could be as simple as one's need for proper fitting Eye glasses or a say even a pair of shoes designed to 'aid' in either sustained comfort for hours of play and/or provide for a non-slipping stance for difficult shots Etc...

Well for myself (and apparently others ...now that I have been looking for a solution), I have noticed that during my 'Shot delivery' especially after shooting for sometime (or when I'm getting tired) I get a little 'back hand' whippy (care free... sometimes too care free) and lose CB delivery accuracy (ie let the CB go). For me, I usually play pretty strong for like the first 45 mins or so but then other 'worldly factors' creep into my focus range and I start to get a bit sloppy with my 'Back hand' (wrist action specifically) creating 'unnecessary pool table pain'. (Oh and I don't use stimulants/or other to hang every shot off of, so this also is another reason I was looking for more 'staying power' for consistent back hand delivery for the longer sessions/tournaments etc....

Watching the likes of Stevie Moore's 'work-a-rounds' and many other Pro's 'back hand' 'work-a-rounds'...(and yes even Earls MANY 'work 'work-a-rounds' lol) many have tried (and still use) a product called ProShot Billiard Glove... you can google for images as I did....but found that since 2010 that Company no longer is in business and there is very little 'Billiard parallel's' to consider.

I happened to be looking into this further last week and found something that truly fits the bill for our sport. Its a wrist stabilizer from a company called Shock Doctor and is sold at Dick's Sporting Goods (or online).

The exact Model I'm referring to is called "Shock Doctor Wrist 3-Strap Support". You can view the Product here... there a simple video for other sports etc..

I can tell you that this Model 824, the 3-Strap Model ( not the single strap model 822) will absolutely shut down any "back hand lateral wrist whippiness" that creeps into your stroke while allowing moderate amount of 'hammer' type of movement as well as full finger grip control. (tighten/loosen as needed).

I'm 5'7, medium build with very average hand and wrist measurements so I thought a medium size would be a close fit. Well in my quest for discovery I went into a Dick's Sporting Goods store and there they all were... I shoot right handed so my right hand is my back hand so I put on a Medium sized 824 3-Strapped wrist brace just to see if it was going to function as I envisioned. Well I can say I'm definitely NOT a Medium for this product. Apparently I have a wider hand than I thought relatively. Next I tried the Large.... Much better fit (and the last one on the shelf) so I chose that one... I think I'd of went with the Extra Large (if it was on the shelf) but the only XL that this store had was for the Left Hand... it felt even better (better sized) for our purposes in pool.

(edit)Btw you can open the package and try it on in the store.. or simply return it if using Dicks online purchase.

I've used this product (large) now for the past 4 days and I can say this is a great aid to get the whip out of your 'back hand spanking' issue. It will simply shut off 95% of your lateral wrist action back hand movement during shoot delivery. This is even more noticeable on higher power shots like massive draws and especially break shots... Hammer type movements are not very restricted at all even with this 3 strap model (824 ) as it fits VERY snug over the top of your hand.

I'm here to tell you it is a great tool/ Aid for those looking to get the whip out for a more consistent shot delivery for every part of your pool game. I really think with the evolution of all sports equipment our sport can really benefit from these parallel advances in sports medicine. Being in medicine myself, even as a Dentist for the past 25 years, we are always looking for advancements to better our performance outcomes. Pool is no exception... just look at all of our new and expanding tools.. (from tables, clothes, balls, cues, tips, to personal wear -eyewear, shoes and even shirts now ask JA.. ) This 'wrist stabilizing' tool could be a game changer for many... simply because it offers a repeatable reference our brain can use as a anchor during shot delivery. I really think this tool has been either 'not available' to many and/or has been mistakenly OVERLOOKED....

This tool truly locks out the 'bank hand' Whip in your stroke. It you get a chance I would try it for a couple of hours to see for yourself why 'some' of our top pros are migrating to this from of a stable back hand reference. I'm really impressed how this actually works so well for me.

Hope this helps...

Randy

Thanks again AZ and Predator for the Beautiful PREDATOR THRONE 3 Cue that I won in the December GOLD Mine giveaway...

Total Awesome.

I made one of these wrist supports back in 2000. I used a Bowling glove & modified it. I wore it for the longest time, until my wrist movement was gone.

I had quit playing in 1978 & started up again in 1998. I picked up some unwanted movement in that blank era. After my restart, I needed to get rid of that. I'm just glad there was something available.

cutemonster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Can anybody tell me where to buy the ProShot Glove. Will Shock Doctor be too big to hold the cue compare to ProShot Glove?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
For the most part, these gloves etc... are not much more than wrist braces that one would use if suffering from Carpal Tunnel. Any Walmart or CVS or Walgreens will have these same type braces. I have one for each hand due to my own carpal tunnel issues that I've had and have used these to re-train my wrist to stay straight while shooting. They keep the wrist in a neutral and straight position, same as what you would want when shooting. They usually cost less than a dedicated 'pool' accessory. An example ... http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Fitte...0638409&sr=8-6&keywords=carpal+tunnel+support
HTH,
Dave.

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone explain to me why someone shouldn't just go get a medical brace for wrist sprain? Cause that's what this looks like .

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made a nice glove a few years ago to eliminate my Motorcycle action... no more motorcycle grip for me.
I made it from a Bowling Glove, it also stabilized the grip from any unwanted movement. Learning to lock my wrist & elbow hinge straightened my stroke to near perfection.
A glove helped me, After many reps, the muscle memory took over & the glove is in a drawer.

Dave 38 had a good explanation too...

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
More Support!

More support is needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0962.JPG