Delaminating question

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm new to tips and trying to be very cautious about generating heat. When people talk about a tip delaminating are they talking about the side or the top of the tip? Does anyone have a picture of a delaminated tip?

Thanks

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm new to tips and trying to be very cautious about generating heat. When people talk about a tip delaminating are they talking about the side or the top of the tip? Does anyone have a picture of a delaminated tip?

Thanks

They are talking about layered tips separating at the layer bonding.

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I should ask the question another way. I notice with some tips after trimming the sides I can feel and or see the layers. Is this caused by overheating or just part of the process? With some fine sandpaper and burnishing it then evens out

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I should ask the question another way. I notice with some tips after trimming the sides I can feel and or see the layers. Is this caused by overheating or just part of the process? With some fine sandpaper and burnishing it then evens out
How do you trim the tips buddy?
A picture would sure help:smile:

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make sure whatever instrument you are using is sharp as possible.

Mario

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue companion and I use the 3/8 indexable carbide cutter. Maybe I should try and rotate the insert?

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
Where do you buy the indexable carbide cutters? There are big differences in cut and performance, depending on what you buy.

Alan

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Seeing layers is normal with some tips. Sounds like you need to learn to burnish them as well.