Dead in DC

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, Went to go play 3c yesterday and the place is the last one around: Happi Billiards in Annandale, va. A Korean joint that has only 8 and 9' pocketless tables.

Arrived to find only pocket tables, 9'pool an 2 12' snooker.

There is literally only one place in the D.C. Area that allegedly has billiard tables anymore...Great Wall billiards in Springfield. I have head 0 good things about it.

Frustratingly awful.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Can't have both on one table, cloth wise
Playing pool on Carom cloth, sucks
Carom on pool cloth,aucks

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Can't have both on one table, cloth wise
Playing pool on Carom cloth, sucks
Carom on pool cloth,aucks

I have played lots of pool on a carom cloth....or pretty close to it.

The most money I ever won in one day was playing 5x10 snooker on a carom cloth.

...if I could only play on one cloth for all games...make it carom cloth.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't care for it, at bogie's the goldcrowns play like ice rinks

At the famous Rack in Detroit when Gil Elias was alive, the cloth was fast...same as the
stuff he had on two carom tables.
I could do a one pocket bank there that I couldn’t even play for on most tables.
...ball two inches above the jaws of my opponent’s pocket...long rail....
...cue ball froze on the same long rail....below the balk line.
I could bank it into my pocket or hang it...on the 9 foot pool table or the 10 foot snooker table.....and control the cue ball.
Most tables, you can’t get the object ball speed.

Gil used to be a 3-c tournament player...the cloth was cleaned many times a day, also.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I keep trying to pull myself away from pool for good,
But 1pkt and 14.1 are too much fun

Why don't you put the Carom table you have in the basement, since you can do anywhere and play pool

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep trying to pull myself away from pool for good,
But 1pkt and 14.1 are too much fun

Why don't you put the Carom table you have in the basement, since you can do anywhere and play pool

I guess coz if there will only be one table, might as well be pool.

Id much rather not have to go to the pool room out.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At the famous Rack in Detroit when Gil Elias was alive, the cloth was fast...same as the
stuff he had on two carom tables.
I could do a one pocket bank there that I couldn’t even play for on most tables.
...ball two inches above the jaws of my opponent’s pocket...long rail....
...cue ball froze on the same long rail....below the balk line.
I could bank it into my pocket or hang it...on the 9 foot pool table or the 10 foot snooker table.....and control the cue ball.
Most tables, you can’t get the object ball speed.

Gil used to be a 3-c tournament player...the cloth was cleaned many times a day, also.

I wish I knew you back then, i left the area in 1976. What year was this? Gil was a cool guy and a really good 3C player.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I wish I knew you back then, i left the area in 1976. What year was this? Gil was a cool guy and a really good 3C player.

I came back to the road for a while in ‘78....for about 4 years.
Frenchie and Gil liked the fact that a snooker player could get hooked to 3 cushion...
...they told me a lot of good stuff.
Gil got me to try one of those high ball run down the rail caroms...he laughed...
..said “You must have hit ten rails on that hit.”
They got a kick out of the fact that if they told me a shot, I could do it.

I told them that I’m like a car with a full tank....you guys are the steering wheel.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Frenchie and Gil liked the fact that a snooker player could get hooked to 3 cushion...
Gil got me to try one of those high ball run down the rail caroms...he laughed...

I told them that I’m like a car with a full tank....you guys are the steering wheel.

It must have been a hoot for them to have someone of your caliber to "mold". I played w/ Frenchie a lot as we have discussed before.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member

Pt; I was at the 'Rack' in 78..., The first player I trapped playing 3C was Mike Siegel, (pool player) Gil Elias staked him to play me one early morning when He and Mike were the only one's there. I was really laying a spread for Gil!

I beat Mike 2 games for 100 and the last for 200. That sprung Gil, he told me to meat him there the next morning same time He'd have time to play. We play for 200 a game 25 points, 2 more games for me. The most important thing that came out of that match was, Gil giving me the 'nod' to hustle some 3C in the place! Naturally, Gil got a little piece of my action when I played.

You mentioned 'Frenchy Americian,' he and another well known pool player were on the losing end of a 3C partners game with me and another well known pool player to the tune of $270,000.00 over a period of 3 days. Freddy Salem and Jerry Howard staked Frenchy and the other player. Jones was side-betting on me and my partner, that was the real attraction for Freddy and Jerry. We were spotting Frenchy and his partner 6 on 35. The last game we played was for $90,000.00!

They also staked Bob Ameen to play me 50 points for $25,000.00, but Bob thought He was only playing for $5,000.00 a game.Jones was staking me. Bob beat me the first 2 games, I went to the bathroom to was my face and hands, when I came back, Bob had put his cue away thinking I and my backer quit! I proceeded to beat him 4 in a line, Freddy and Jerry pulled up!

Other than sheikhs or czars, I believe I've gambled and won more money than anyone playing 3C!

BTW, I've been collaborating with someone about writing my exploits through my life gambling at 3C, pool, cards... We'll see how it comes along.

Just a quick tidbit! I used go around hustling from 68 - 75 the College Union League billiard rooms around the country most still had 3C tables, wearing the rival college's T-shirt or sweatshirt!

Going to U of M in Ann Arbor with and Ohio State shirt and vise a versa!

Last edited:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Going to U of M in Ann Arbor with and Ohio State shirt and vise a versa!

Blasphemy! :eek: (but pretty smart)

Oh, Mr. Balled, very sorry about the lack of 3C tables in DC. Sensitive enough for you?

Dave

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I remember you playing at the Rack, Billy....you took the game to another level.

I also remember a guy challenging you to shoot the spot shot with him for $100 a crack.
...you told him that he could shoot the spot shot and you would do the break on the
carom table.....he passed.:)

On the first carom table, the break felt like a cinch...the short rail played a bit long...
...so you could spin it as much as you wanted.