Using wax when using a pool ball cleaner

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As discussed here several times, based on the MSDS, Aramith ball cleaner contains wax. Dr. Dave’s experiment shows the effect: balls cleaned with Aramith have less CIT than balls with no wax (i.e. cleaned with alcohol or acetone). However, WPA rules currently prohibit using any kind of wax on the balls. Dr. Dave’s experiment demonstrated that balls cleaned with alcohol can induce a very large amount of throw, which causes some to believe that the WPA rule against wax is misguided.

There is a lack of consensus in both pool and snooker as to whether balls should be treated with wax (re: snooker, see here: www.prosnookerblog.com/2014/12/15/to-polish-or-not-to-polish). Interestingly, cleaning and polishing the balls without wax may actually increase friction (and thus throw), according to this article: www.dreamon.demon.co.uk/snooker (“a highly polished and ultra-clean surface does not necessarily give low friction – often it actually increases friction”). Another very interesting observation from that article: ivory balls of old had much less friction than phenolic balls, and older snooker players believe that kick (as they call it in snooker) was not a problem until the switch from ivory to phenolic balls.

In short, as to whether or not to wax, there is no answer. If we are to do it, we should come up with agreed upon standards for what to use, how to apply it, and how often, so that we can make the balls as consistent as possible rack after rack and from one tournament, pool hall, or home table to the next.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised anyone uses alcohol . It will dull the finish after a while
and take the factory luster off the balls. Plus, it ' grinds ' down the balls quicker
in a cleaner/polisher. I played in a room that used alcohol. They went through
3 sets of balls in 5 years.
It appears that a little ' wax ' is will make the balls look better and play better.
But beware of over waxing 'Whitey ' !!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well then - I'll get a spray bottle and see if a solution of the Official Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner and some purified water will actually go through the nozzle, since Feb is a ways off!

I try this out with my Diamond polisher and report back when I get it set up.

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont be to suprised when the carpet clays up, then packs down.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i think wax may affect how balls react to the cloth as well as the other balls.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont be to suprised when the carpet clays up, then packs down.

I'm sure the carpet "could" possibly clay up or build up or lay down as you opined, RKC, but that can only happen if the operator fails to do many things - chief among them would be to never clean the sprocket or the outer carpet liner - which I do often enough to always look new. I've never had a buildup of any kind and I use my Diamond polisher quite often between all of the sets I have and how much I play and how many friends' ball sets I do as well.

The only surprise here for you, sir, is there is no surprise - or buildup of any kind.

K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you think alcohol is the reason the balls wore out in that pool room. The same WPA rule that prohibits wax also specifies alcohol for cleaning balls that have been waxed. It definitely doesn't "grind" the balls down, since it isn't abrasive. Phenolic resin itself can surely withstand ethanol cleaning since it is also used to make laboratory counter tops. What surface finish do the balls have that is sensitive to ethanol? As for the factory luster, that wears off with playing alone and can be restored at least somewhat by polishing.

I'm surprised anyone uses alcohol . It will dull the finish after a while
and take the factory luster off the balls. Plus, it ' grinds ' down the balls quicker
in a cleaner/polisher. I played in a room that used alcohol. They went through
3 sets of balls in 5 years.
It appears that a little ' wax ' is will make the balls look better and play better.
But beware of over waxing 'Whitey ' !!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is because the alcohol wears away th outer slic sheen.
I had ball i washed in warm water and dish soap and it ruined them.
They were unplayable, aftre that experiment.
Why do you think alcohol is the reason the balls wore out in that pool room. The same WPA rule that prohibits wax also specifies alcohol for cleaning balls that have been waxed. It definitely doesn't "grind" the balls down, since it isn't abrasive. Phenolic resin itself can surely withstand ethanol cleaning since it is also used to make laboratory counter tops. What surface finish do the balls have that is sensitive to ethanol? As for the factory luster, that wears off with playing alone and can be restored at least somewhat by polishing.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just telling what happened after that room switch from waxing to alcohol.
BB played there also. Using alcohol, the balls had no luster ( they did before ).
They were dull. 1st set were aramith standard balls, 2nd were german balls,
very nice set, 3rd were centennials.
Alcohol ruined those 3 sets in 5 years, thats all I know.
Test it out. I'm not going to, I've seen it.
Good luck

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
carpet liner cleaning question

I - chief among them would be to never clean the sprocket or the outer carpet liner - which I do often enough to always look new. I've never had a buildup of any kind and I use my Diamond polisher quite often between all of the sets I have and how much I play and how many friends' ball sets I do as well.

K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So how does one clean the carpet liner in a Diamond Ball washer. I would think just some warm water and rag would do. I have considered buying a new set of the carpet liner from Diamond. I assume they sell them.

BTW, I use Brunswick Ball cleaner or Magic earaser on hard black spots from the Diamond pockets, and then spray the balls with Brillianze when I put them in the washer and it seems to be working fine.