New MC cup captain team USA

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What a strange choice. Let's see how he goes about his business. Wish him luck.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Interesting move, but it won't make a difference.
Europe will win 11-6 or better next year.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
team building & chemistry...how motivated will some of our guys be to make the team, speaking of:

selection process???

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Maybe this means the American team will include players that live here regardless of citizenship.
Personally I don't like the move but I guess they had to do something. But still with only a month
or so to build a team I have to wonder what difference it will make.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
While Johann is a proven winner and a very highly respected instructor, there are a few reasons that this choice seems unusual, and I'm, for the moment, happy to dismiss the issue of conflict of interests --- a topic for another day.

This is surely a Matchroom choice, and suggests that Matchroom thinks that team unity and good "game day management" is all it takes to maximize performance in the Mosconi. This couldn't be further from the truth, and in my opinion, Coach Wilson provided both, though perhaps a bit less effectively than Johann can.

Europe has won seven straight Mosconi events because they are superior to the US in every category but the break:

Europe pockets balls better
Europe plays better patterns
Europe plays better position
Europe plays better safeties
Europe plays kick shots better
Europe employs more two-way shots
Europe is superior in general tactics

What it all adds up to is that out-breaking Europe by a whole lot is the only real path to victory for Team USA these days. While it's certainly possible that it could happen, it is not very likely.

Unless he's moving to the US for much of the year to work with US players, what will Johann do to narrow the gap in skills between Team USA and Team Europe and how will he accomplish it? How will he know which wild cards to pick without seeing American players up close? How will he oversee the development of the players in area of weakness?

Is this move by Matchroom just for show? On the surface, it looks pretty ridiculous, but I'll retract everything I've said if Johann will live in the US for a substantial portion of 2017 and work closely face-to-face with Mosconi hopefuls.

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
Lets see...

MC Captain - Dutch
Official table - Chinese
Cloth - Belgian
Balls - Belgian

Pool's an American game, you say?

chelseagrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is just SO SAD

Pocket Billiards is so deplorable in the USA that we need a coach from Europe?
I have nothing negative whatsoever to say about the capabilities of the individual selected.

But this a sad day in US Pocket Billiards.

Truly insulting.

The Mosconi Cup event should be modified to add Asia or simply terminated. :mad:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
......and the referee is from Wales

What's more amazing, every American is from another country ;).

How about this, do a DNA test and only give the position to a person who was NOT originally from the European continent. That would solve this ''hissing contest''. :p

Prey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MC Captain Usa

Matchroom should take it one step further imo. It should be all Americas including South and North America vs Europe.:thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was Nick Varner busy that week? Eferen called him one of the smartest players he ever played. Archer? Heck, how about Strickland? That guy wants to beat European players so bad he is likely to break some of their fingers and he knows as much about the game as any 1.5 players around.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surely, if he has any sense, the first thing he will do is to appoint an American as his assistant.
Would this appease many?