Mezz Kai

dbooze21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any experience to the new mezz Kai break cue? How does it perform compared to the bk3?

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interested in this club myself. Sharp looking stick. Anybody have any first hand experience?

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting mine in the next 2 days...I will update this thread with a review once I get the chance to use it. I will compare it to my current breakers, Mezz PB Pro with the H shaft and an OB 1st Gen Break Cue. The OB will definitely go for sale in the next few days. Nothing wrong with it, I just like to have similar equipment as I only use my PB Pro on the weekends when I play at a friend's house and I use the OB to practice my break technique. The difference between the 2 is night and day so I am hoping the Kai will be much closer to the Pro.

dbooze21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanna see reviews compared to the bk3. Honestly that's the best cue I've used for me

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanna see reviews compared to the bk3. Honestly that's the best cue I've used for me

Yeah? I have a Mezz Power Break II and was looking pretty hard at the BK3 when I got it. I like my Mezz, but still have a bit of "What if?" buyer's remorse about the BK3.

Robvandam

PooOooL
Hi guys, i've used quite a number of the mezz break cues extensively and done some testing based on the latest batches of shafts that have been released in the last month.

Here are my humble findings, these are just my opinions and hopefully a platform where we could probably add on to the conversation in a more constructive manner.

Hope this helps somebody somewhere :)

OPssT0p.png

Cheers!!

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a BK2 and also wonder what it with the Mezz PB2. The BK2 has a hollow sound that can be heard when you hit light. Probably has to do with correcting for off center hits or something.

The BK2 seems to work better with me with a controlled slow break... scatters the balls well, and the edge balls near the back of the break seem to make it to a pocket and fall better than w a high speed break. Just my 2 cents. Heard some of the BK3r's liked the BK2 a bit better. Have yet to hit or see a Mezz PB1, PB2 or a BK3 so reviews matter to me, as I am curious about the top breakers out there.

May be time to move up to a Mezz.

Techstepper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kai?

I'm still curious but the Kai. I heard it sports the new Deep Impact II shaft. Heard many good things about the PBII, so a bit on the fence of what to get. Anyone can make a comparison?

Robvandam

PooOooL
I'm still curious but the Kai. I heard it sports the new Deep Impact II shaft. Heard many good things about the PBII, so a bit on the fence of what to get. Anyone can make a comparison?

At the moment the PB2's still come with the 1st Gen Deep Impact Shaft.

In the next couple of months the PB2s should be refreshed with the new Deep Impact II shaft as well.

Comparatively the newer Deep Impact 2 shaft is the softest among all the current Mezz Break Shafts.

Can look at a few posts up for a table i did comparing the various shafts.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching Vilmos Foldes play in SoCal, and he was crushing the break..
turns out it was a Mezz Kai... sounded real solid. I'm interested in one myself,
a little spendy.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK everyone, I finally broke down and bought a used Mezz PB2 w DI shaft to compare it to my BK2. The curiosity and "what if's" got to me and I had to try the Mezz. The price was finally "right" on this cue for me, and this is not the Kai or the new DI 2 shaft. In the end the Mezz was about 35$ more than what I got my BK2 for so, I looked at it as worth getting to test them and make up my mind.

I must clarify that this Mezz came with the factory ferrule but the previous owner had a samsara tip installed/upgraded to replace the Mezz's sonic tip. I happen to have liked the Samsara on a previous break cue, so that did not bother me, but probably makes for the ability to possibly feel a softer shot, and of course easy to apply english for control. Therefore, you have to adjust for this extra english slightly if you have a controlled power break like I do, so that the ball stays in the center of the table after the break.

The first thing that was only really evident to me, upon finally getting the cue is that it is about 4 inches (estimated) shorter than a normal 58 inch cue. I did not really study the diagram at Mezzusa for this cue construction so I did not really plan on it being noticeable to me.

I did not feel any awkwardness, at all... but i'm 5'9" and guys over 6ft tall may not be able to place their hand in their typical shot set up. Naturally, I will have to make another wooden dowel for my case, like I did for my jump cue... since the butt of the Mezz drops into the slot and does not sit level as a result of this short length.

In comparing the BK2 w the Mezz I was quite surprised that both seemed like a similar hit to me. Both have a definitive "hollow" hit, likely to the similar technology of having a conical shaped area under the tip area. I think this is to redirect power in off center shots, but in any event it is quite evident when shooting, and obviously felt most at a lower power break or just hitting around the table.

The Mezz was slightly less hollow sounding and feeling as compared to the BK2... but this could be a result of the samsara tip as compared to the Predator Phenolic Break tip.

I did prefer the Mezz to the BK2, but I will be using them in the next couple of weeks to make sure. I will have to sell the one I decide is less preferable.

One thing that is evident upon putting the Mezz together is the "united joint" unique to Mezz. When the shaft and butt are put together it starts out like a typical piloted 5/16 x 14, but halfway the resistance changes/increases and there is a precision and smooth tightening that is unlike any other break cue I have tried.

To me this MUST result in a unity of the butt and shaft with much less if "no tolerance" or play. It comes together smoothly, tight, and without any slight wiggle at ALL. Extremely PRECISE... I believe this must result in a better transfer without loss of energy that the Predator, or any other joint.

And that may be the biggest difference in the end.. and perhaps why I am leaning toward the Mezz as my preferred break cue.

If I notice anything else I will add to this. I have tried both cues at all out power, and controlled breaks, but it seems to me that the joint and weighting of the Mezz packs a bit of a greater punch in either approach. Of course, you mileage may very and this is all in IMHO.

At least I can rest easier at night, knowing I have had the chance to try these together. It has only been about 10 racks so if I change my mind, in a couple of days I will let you know. Hope this helps a couple of people...

Joegolf

Registered
First, and possibly last post

I've purchased a Mezz Kai! I've been waiting for my Olhausen Waterfall and preparing by buying everything. The Kai feels awesome but I have to admit I haven't even chalked it yet. I'm in the process of remodeling a vacation home in the Palm Springs area. I can't believe there isn't a decent, or even just slightly bad pool room in the desert. So as I wait I collect the dream equipment of a lifetime. Being older and not playing consistently since a youngster, I want the best I can buy. I've also ordered much more equipment that as a kid was never even thought of. I'm just a ball potter but in my old age, 62, I'm finally an actual student of the game. Yep, bought most of the books and DVDs in hopes of learning more.
I had to jump in as I searched everywhere for the Kai before breaking down and paying MSRP at the Mezz site. Every other dealer had them back ordered and didn't expect delivery for months. Sounds like Mezz is hoarding them so they can optimize their profits. Something I don't like, but fed into by buying from them.
Good luck to all of you and your games.
Ex-golfer turned back into the love of pool.

JohnBoy21

Registered
Thinking about purchasing a new power break Kai but there aren't very many reviews. How's the XGP wrap? I'm leaning towards wrapless but I'm very curious about the rubber wrap as well. Also how do you feel about the sonic tip? Anyone have any experience they would like to share good or bad...

Last edited:

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
I just purchased one yesterday at Seyberts - "Mezz Black Power Break KAI w/ XPG Grip". I'm having them change the tip to Samsara. Would love to try the Odega but they didn't have the option.

I should have it in about a week (Feb 26th). I will try and come back in mid to late March with a report. I'll also report on the first time I use it.

I can honestly say it is a beautiful looking break cue.

513c4512e3d30a8be9b0c99250510795.jpg

37bbbb320dfbb9cdaf43bf88df8f5d38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz KAI is the best break cues out there, BK3 isn`t even in the same league.
It`s a shame that Mezz can`t update the design of their website and provide better pictures of their products, the pictures on their site, does not do Mezz cues justice.

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
Mezz KAI is the best break cues out there, BK3 isn`t even in the same league.

It`s a shame that Mezz can`t update the design of their website and provide better pictures of their products, the pictures on their site, does not do Mezz cues justice.

Yea I've noticed that when I went to mezzcues.us and mezzcue.com that the web designer is not doing a very good job. Some of the choices of fonts and colors don't even make any sense let alone the layout of the pictures of the cues etc...

And speaking of BK3, I tried one a few weeks back and was destroying the balls so now you really got me excited to take delivery. I also got a "Predator Air 2" on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have a good comparison the kai vs the mezz PB2 w deep impact 2 shaft, I currently own. There was a markedly noticeably, difference in power when I went from the DI 1 to the DI2 shaft. IT rocked!!

The sonic tip is great for a center break... but if you want more action or break with the "8 ball side break" you may want to go to the samsara.

Anyone have experience with shooting both models here?

Last edited: