Never too early for a Christmas wish list...tell me about mine

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely adding a cue to the arsenal this Christmas. I currently have two that are my main players- A Mcdermot G- Series, and a Pechauer Gold Crown Professional. I like them both for different reasons, the Mcdermott is my utility, do everything, while the Pechauer is almost like a work of art.

Anyway, my wish list currently includes the following cues that I have never hit with:
Schonn STL 3
Mezz ZZ32
Joss J04
OB 125

I feel confident that each of these are good cues, they are all great looking, and they are all roughly the same price. I have read enough on here to know that each of these have huge fan followings, but I would welcome any input from folks who have handled/played with some of these cues. As far as fit and finish, general characteristics of standard tip and shafts, how do each of these cues generally hit?

I emailed Seybert's with some questions and was informed that the Schon will hit much "harder" than my other cues. I am not exactly sure what that means.

I don't do "safe queens", so this cue will get used!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I'd narrow it down to Mezz or Joss. Joss for a firmer hit, Mezz for a softer hit. It all depends on what you like.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd narrow it down to Mezz or Joss. Joss for a firmer hit, Mezz for a softer hit. It all depends on what you like.

Hey thanks for the input, is there any particular reason that I can add to my notes?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Don't really want anything for xmas except for my kids to be happy...

Sorry, not really familiar with the stuff you listed.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Definitely adding a cue to the arsenal this Christmas. I currently have two that are my main players- A Mcdermot G- Series, and a Pechauer Gold Crown Professional. I like them both for different reasons, the Mcdermott is my utility, do everything, while the Pechauer is almost like a work of art.

Anyway, my wish list currently includes the following cues that I have never hit with:
Schonn STL 3
Mezz ZZ32
Joss J04
OB 125

I feel confident that each of these are good cues, they are all great looking, and they are all roughly the same price. I have read enough on here to know that each of these have huge fan followings, but I would welcome any input from folks who have handled/played with some of these cues. As far as fit and finish, general characteristics of standard tip and shafts, how do each of these cues generally hit?

I emailed Seybert's with some questions and was informed that the Schon will hit much "harder" than my other cues. I am not exactly sure what that means.

Well, I have the most experience with joss and Mezz cues, so I'll speak about those. I don't think you can go wrong with either one as far as quality goes. I think the Mezz may have a slight edge. It comes standard with an excellent ld shaft (Wx 700). I don't know a lot of people who dislike that shaft and I do play with one of those myself. It doesn't have extremely low deflection, but it has an extremely nice, firm hit. Overall Mezz cues are well balanced and give you excellent feedback to the hand. When you tighten the joint, it's nice and snug fitting, which explains why the feedback travels well through the cue. Joss cues are also very firm hitters, but as far as I know they don't come standard with an ld-shaft, though Joss does make one. I'd consider a Joss if I absolutely did not want an ld-shaft, or I planned on buying one in addition to the standard shaft. I have no experience with OB full cues, but as far as their shafts go, I'm not a fan. Everyone I know with Schon cues have ld shafts (Predator) on them, so I can't speak to the playability of the shafts in any great detail, as I've only played briefly with one. The butts are extremely well constructed with excellent fit and finish, so I know you'll be pleased with that.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
It would be Mezz or Schon. Both will have superior build quality over the other two.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hmmm. maybe. I have never hit a custom, so I can't really speak to them. Not really itching to get involved with custom cues...made that mistake with custom knives.

Smart idea.
Why get involved with some what unreliable custom cue makers.
You can get a quality production cue in a week, not 2 years or more worth of excuses.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smart idea.
Why get involved with some what unreliable custom cue makers.
You can get a quality production cue in a week, not 2 years or more worth of excuses.

Exactly and, I don't know about cues, but in the knife world, fewer and fewer custom makers can compete with top quality production companies using high dollar CNC with super tight tolerances. Handmade is great if you are looking for a true work of art, but for an everyday tool, there isn't enough gain in performance for me to justify the high cost.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Schonn STL 3
Mezz ZZ32
Joss J04
OB 125

OB is the only cue with an LD shaft, it will play quite a bit different. If you are looking for a different hit than what you have now, and will be using the stock shafts, try the Schon or Mezz.

I think you mean Crown Jewel for Pechauer not "Gold Crown". I have hit with a few (a lot of juniors have them from sponsorships) and like the hit, softer feel than a Schon or a Joss with the metal joint on the ones I tried.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you mean Crown Jewel for Pechauer not "Gold Crown". I have hit with a few (a lot of juniors have them from sponsorships) and like the hit, softer feel than a Schon or a Joss with the metal joint on the ones I tried.

Doh! Yep was thinking about Brunswick's when I typed that. Yes, I have a P06 Crown Jewel. The Pechauer hits very soft, I just feel sometimes I don't get the feedback I am looking for with a soft hit...I like the firmer hit of my mcdermott, but I like the way the Pechauer feels in hand more. Guess I am looking for a cue that will combine the two...could be a long (and expensive) search:D

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Exactly and, I don't know about cues, but in the knife world, fewer and fewer custom makers can compete with top quality production companies using high dollar CNC with super tight tolerances. Handmade is great if you are looking for a true work of art, but for an everyday tool, there isn't enough gain in performance for me to justify the high cost.

That really hits the nail on the head. :thumbup:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I was never a fan of schon, joss or ob. Had a Joss many moons ago & got rid of it quick. Never owned a full ob, tried the shaft out about 10 years ago hated it, never went back to try any of there new line. A buddy of mine has 4 or 5 schon's & they look nice but i really didnt like the hit.

My choice would be to try the mezz. Heard nothing but good things about them. Never hit with one either or even held one in my hands.

Im personally a custom guy because I like to collect but over the past 6 or 7 months ive fallen in love with the predator revo's. Ive actually shot better since i switched to them.

If i ever try something else production wise id choose mezz but i dont see myself switching from the revo unless i go back to shooting with some of my customs.

Hope your decision works out great for you.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well said.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I currently have two that are my main players- A Mcdermot G- Series, and a Pechauer Gold Crown Professional.

Schonn STL 3
Mezz ZZ32
Joss J04
OB 125

Of those cues, the OB is probably going to play the most different from what you have now because of the low deflection shaft that will require the most adjustment on your end so you don't miss shots. The Mezz is probably right behind it for the amount of adjustment that will be needed due to the very different deflection from what you have. The cue that is going to feel and hit the most different from what you currently have is going to be the Joss because of its very stiff and firm hit and you may or may not like it but it will feel the most different.

Taking both feel and play into consideration, the Schon is probably going to be closest to two you have now. It will have a little firmer and stiffer hit and probably a little more feedback but it sounds like you may be wanting to try that anyway, and the deflection will be in the same general ball park. The Schon will also hold its value better than the others (Mezz is probably not too far behind it), and there is by far a bigger market of Schon buyers than there is for any of the others so it will probably be the quickest and easiest to sell with the least loss in value if you ever decide to sell. Based on what you currently have along with what you have said I would go with the Schon, Mezz, OB, and Joss in that order, and frankly it probably isn't even worth considering Joss if you like McDermott and Pechauer hit and feel.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing with a Joss, but if you choose from that 4 cues, take the Mezz.
You get a good shaft and great quality overall, plus a good resale value.

Schonn STL 3
Mezz ZZ32
Joss J04
OB 125

Yes, The Schon will hit much harder / much stiffer then the Mcdermott and the Pechauer cues. Schon cues hit super stiff in my opinion. Not nearly as stiff as something like a Predator Z shaft for example, but they do hit very stiff.

Mezz cues hit soft? Really?

Joss cues hit nothing like a Schon, in my opinion. Schon cues hit much stiffer then Joss cues.