A random US OPEN question for those who are there or have been in the past

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who are at the US Open or have been to one...

With only 12 tables....

Do the players have tables to warm up on or a nearby pool hall to keep in stroke?

Are they allowed to stay and practice on the tables after tournament play is done for the day?

Just wondering what a player like Wu or Shane does after a huge loss in the time it takes to play their next match (which can be the next day if the loss is early enough).

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last time I was at the Open was 2004, so I’m a little fuzzy on it. I believe there were practice tables and/or everyone hung out at cuemasters. The tourney director would call them about an hour ahead of time and let them know they were up soon.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those who are at the US Open or have been to one...

With only 12 tables....

Do the players have tables to warm up on or a nearby pool hall to keep in stroke?

Are they allowed to stay and practice on the tables after tournament play is done for the day?

Just wondering what a player like Wu or Shane does after a huge loss in the time it takes to play their next match (which can be the next day if the loss is early enough).
'
There are three or four tables downstairs to practice on. Also, if tables are free, they can practice there if they don't bother matches.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the answers and insight, fellas.

I recall reading that Shane found a pool hall in Dubai that he would spend time in the week before the world championships and that gave him a home base of sorts to go and practice before and during the tournament. After that he got back to back #2 spots.

These guys must have routines that they try to stick to, but when all 130+ players are in town, I imagine having that table time is valuable.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are only 12 tournament played on tables??

No wonder why progress is so slow. 1 match a day for the players.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
There are only 12 tournament played on tables??

No wonder why progress is so slow. 1 match a day for the players.

Hard to find a venue that will hold more plus spectators... Conference center was great, but still, only 13 tables there too, but very spectator friendly.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I'm wondering is what time do the players sleep? Some of these matches are starting well past 10:30pm. I figure there's probably alot of money games being played during and after the tournament play as well. Tournament of this size has definitely got to be rough for all the players to stay in focus and maintain their rhythm.