Attitude after a loss?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am one of those who believe that ones attitude after a loss effects how they played in the loosing match and in future matches.

It appears to me as though the pros that go through matches and are able to offer their opponent a sincere hand shake and congratulations after their loss have a better professional pool career.

I think Earl would have been even greater if he had been a better "loser" and I think it is one of the strengths Shane has. He knows how to lose with out being a "sore loser". Others of his caliber exhibit the same behavior and do well.

Billy Thorpe does not appear to me to do well when he loses, maybe I am wrong. He certainly is a very good player and I hope my observation is wrong.

Skyler always appears to be a gentlemen and I predict a long and happy career for him.

Losing is disappointing and I know first hand it sucks. But, I always give the one who whupped my butt a sincere well done and hand shake after a match.

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you and, just to nitpick a little, it's lose not loose :)

Koop - sorry, had to pull out the spelling badge

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think it's important to exhibit a certain amount of grace win or lose. That being said I
really prefer to live the old edict - "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

I don't take losing well, I don't think you should at all, but you should be big enough to
assign blame where it rightfully goes, upon yourself. My opponent may have won, but
he/she doesn't deserve the brunt of my pissy mood. I lost and I don't like it one little bit,
and I don't believe that you should. Out of respect for the game and my opponent, they
will get my congratulations and a hand shake, They don't get excuses or attitude or a tantrum.
I can sulk in my beer later.

It also can depend on how the match went. Respect is a mutual thing, if my opponent is
disrespectful and condescending, or a basic ass-hat, then win or lose they get that back and
more at the end of the match.

It's important to me to be a good sport and be respectful of the game and my opponent,
not necessarily a good loser and it's important that I get that in return.

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Losing SUCKS. That moment right after they sink the last ball, especially when its close, I feel like the cartoon, red faced and steam coming out of my ears. So hard to just suck it up sometimes. 3-4 min after ive already forgot. But in that moment, more so when their riding high and want to talk, even when they're super polite, it takes all my strengh to do the right thing. Put the blame where it belongs and shake hands and smile. After all its just a game.

Never the less I do. I work hard to control my emotions at all times and I feel its a learned skill. An important skill.

I look up to two players more than any others for this.

Shane and Efren.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two Standard Rules about Pool Players after losing a match:

1) Try not to speak to them for 2 hours following a loss, as that is how much time it takes to get the poison out; and,

2) Disregard any statements made by said pool player for 24 hours after the loss, as that is how much time is required for rationality to return (I'm selling my cues, I'm quitting this game, etc...).

Following a loss, immediate medication via alcohol or chocolate cake has been known to dampen the effects of losing. Individual results may vary.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am one of those who believe that ones attitude after a loss effects how they played in the loosing match and in future matches.

It appears to me as though the pros that go through matches and are able to offer their opponent a sincere hand shake and congratulations after their loss have a better professional pool career.

I think Earl would have been even greater if he had been a better "loser" and I think it is one of the strengths Shane has. He knows how to lose with out being a "sore loser". Others of his caliber exhibit the same behavior and do well.

Billy Thorpe does not appear to me to do well when he loses, maybe I am wrong. He certainly is a very good player and I hope my observation is wrong.

Skyler always appears to be a gentlemen and I predict a long and happy career for him.

Losing is disappointing and I know first hand it sucks. But, I always give the one who whupped my butt a sincere well done and hand shake after a match.
I enjoy watching Earl play, especially amused with his antics. That being said, if Earl would have gotten a few good, solid, ass-whuppins years ago when he started his temper tantrums he woulda been a better man for it. And I don't mean whuppins from mamma and daddy!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I can't say I'm "happy" about losing - but I congratulate my opponent and try to put it behind me. But - it doesn't put food on my table, so it's really not all that big a deal for me I guess. Granted - inside it sucks - but I try to stay positive about life.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I'm all for good sportsmanship. I always congratulate my opponent when I lose.

But if I feel I beat myself, which is the case most of the time I lose I'm pissed, at myself for playing like that. That motivates me.

You can tell Earl Hates losing, I'm betting that's a big part of why he's so good.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with you and, just to nitpick a little, it's lose not loose :)

Koop - sorry, had to pull out the spelling badge

Generally speaking, I say put your nose to the grindstone, and give it your best. If your opponent conducts his/herself as a gentleperson during the game/match, then win lose or draw, you tip your cap, and shake their hand. If they behave otherwise, you still attempt to shake hands, and then tell them to go play hide and go f@$k yourself. :D

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always offer a handshake but I hate losing. I accept it and fully know I can't win them all.

But it also depends on the circumstances. If my opponent legit outplayed me then I have no problems with it and to a degree won't be disappointed at all. If I lose because I kept choking on easy shots or missed easy safeties, I'll probably boil inside but never will I not shake my opponent's hand or show anger. It's not his/her fault after all so why unleash the wrath on them. All that anger's purpose is to motivate me to improve not to try to make them feel bad for beating me.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm always gracious after a loss, even if a ball banger crapped all over me, I smile and tell him he played well and I also tell him "Now go win your next match too."
Everybody pays their entry fee and I will not cheapen a win by being angry and insulting to the winner.
It shows younger players good conduct and how to accept a loss.
On the other hand, I've met some sore losers too. If they're too mouthy, I simply say "Hey, let that be a lesson to ya."

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

There is a video on youtube of Thorpe vs Efren in 9ball from the Derby. Thorpe loses and has nothing but nice things to say about Efren.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm always gracious after a loss, even if a ball banger crapped all over me, I smile and tell him he played well and I also tell him "Now go win your next match too."
Everybody pays their entry fee and I will not cheapen a win by being angry and insulting to the winner.
It shows younger players good conduct and how to accept a loss.
On the other hand, I've met some sore losers too. If they're too mouthy, I simply say "Hey, let that be a lesson to ya."

I agree with you on this.
A wise mind once said "in order to learn how to win, you must first learn how to lose".

I'm not sure where I heard it originally but it rings true for every aspect of competition.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think it's important to exhibit a certain amount of grace win or lose. That being said I
really prefer to live the old edict - "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

I never went for that “Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser.”...malarkey.
A bad loser is a person who cries over ‘spilt milk’...
...and he becomes a lightning rod for more losses.

Treat the winner the way you would like to be treated when it’s your turn to win....
...and accept your fate.

And don’t waste the loss...learn what you can from it....
..Korean proverb....”If your house burns down, search for nails.”

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I never went for that “Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser.”...malarkey.
A bad loser is a person who cries over ‘spilt milk’...
...and he becomes a lightning rod for more losses.

Treat the winner the way you would like to be treated when it’s your turn to win....
...and accept your fate.

And don’t waste the loss...learn what you can from it....
..Korean proverb....”If your house burns down, search for nails.”

I think it all depends on varying degrees of what would be considered a bad loser. The way I interpret that quote is, someone who hates to lose and uses the losses to spur themselves forward. But you are correct that the quote is probably used to justify temper tantrums.

The worst kind of loser is someone who blames their opponents, luck, the rolls, everything and everyone but themselves. With that kind of attitude, they keep on losing because they are blind to deficiencies that cost them matches.

On the other end of the spectrum, there is the player who doesn't mind the losses and doesn't think too critically about the flaws in their game. Both players won't improve much, but latter is more enjoyable to play.

I think the key is to always give your opponent credit and respect for the win. Unless they won every game off of 8 ball fouls, they probably had to pot the balls to win and you had to miss your chances.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I agree with everyone who said that it's hard to lose to a douchebag - I have not met many of that kind. Usually my opponents are nice people. Losing to one of those doesn't get me mad or anything. Maybe at myself for my lousy gameplay (if that really was the reason I lost). Again - most of the time I lost to a "better player" and if I did I actually don't mind that at all - I take it as a lesson. It makes me want to practice more and improve. (OK, I would have loved to win but I am smart enough to know that there are people I can't realistically beat on my level. So, I am happy if I win a single game in a set against some players and I take the loss as an incentive to win 2 or 3 games next time I play him - but most probably still lose the set).

OTOH, I don't really like to win all the time either against people not playing on my own level. Why? Because it gets boring, the challenge just isn't there. Yes, you can always give them 2, 3 or more balls but it still isn't the same to me as playing even. I really prefer to play even and don't mind losing that much. Losing every time isn't fun either and tournaments or the like are a bit different. In the pool hall or at my own or friends' tables I prefer to lose more often than I win - not every game, but more. Why? Because I still have a goal to achieve - beat my buddy next time. If I win every game it may be fun for a short while but then I lose my drive to improve.

I never have a problem saying a few nice words after I lost. Unless the opponent displayed unsportsmanlike conduct in some way or other.