Jester jump cue, pros and cons?

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I currently have a J&J jump break cue with a samsara tip. The cue breaks very well but only jumps mediocre. If I have a jump and the CB and the blocking ball are 1 1/2 ball widths apart or closer, its a no go which sucks. I have used the Jester jump cue and the past and its effortless and i can jump like Larry Nevel with that thing. Before i pull the trigger and buy one, does anyone have anything bad or good to say about it???

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All jump cues have a certain distance that they are optimized for. I think of them as different golf clubs in a set. If they have an extension they may be good for two different ranges. I would say the jester is a pw and a 5 iron.

The thing I don't like about the jester, you can't jump underhanded closer than one diamond away from the ball that you are jumping over. The directions say anything under one diamond away take off the extension and jump overhanded. Anything more than one diamond, put the extension on and jump underhanded.

I've come to the conclusion that you need more than one jump cue for different jump situations. One for getting over balls very close, one for medium range, one for long jumps and a full break cue for just getting over the edge of a ball.

I use a stubby jumper for long jumps as it is more accurate. Most normal jump cues are good for medium range and I have yet to find that magical jump cue that I can jump over a ball within a chalks width consistantly.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Well I had the cheap 75 dollar lucasi jump cue before and I could jump nearly anything with that, so my technique is decent. I think the j&j is just to heavy and to thick to get the Cb off the felt on really tight jumps. I personally learned to jump over handed first with the dart thrust technique, then learned to jump jacked up with a regular stroke.

I hear what your saying about diffrent jumpers for diffrent situations. I feel the jester would be good for the tight close jumps I cant currently do with the equipment I have.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
All jump cues have a certain distance that they are optimized for. I think of them as different golf clubs in a set. If they have an extension they may be good for two different ranges. I would say the jester is a pw and a 5 iron.

The thing I don't like about the jester, you can't jump underhanded closer than one diamond away from the ball that you are jumping over. The directions say anything under one diamond away take off the extension and jump overhanded. Anything more than one diamond, put the extension on and jump underhanded.

I've come to the conclusion that you need more than one jump cue for different jump situations. One for getting over balls very close, one for medium range, one for long jumps and a full break cue for just getting over the edge of a ball.

I use a stubby jumper for long jumps as it is more accurate. Most normal jump cues are good for medium range and I have yet to find that magical jump cue that I can jump over a ball within a chalks width consistantly.

I've had nothing but success with my Jester, maybe it just works better for some people. I've jumped balls (messing around) from about an inch apart to up to half a table. Anything longer than that, I am probably kicking or jumping with my regular cue. The only think I don't like is the sound it makes, but that's built in.

1hit1der

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Jester, like other ultralight jump cues, is great for short distance jumping. With the extension, it's only 6 ounces and takes a lot of effort to jump more than a couple diamonds. But it gets the cue ball up and down quickly so it'll be rolling when it gets to the object ball and you don't have to worry about it flying off the table. I have one for sale if you're interested in a used one:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=178399

lms9t

Registered
It has good control for both long and short distance jumping, although I have to find I have to hit it much harder with this than with other jump cues, even with the full extension on. The full extension hits like a normal jump cue, the 2 part hits like shaft jumping...haven't tried just the shaft though. I like that it has a rubber butt so you can actually stand the thing up. It's a good jump cue for a nice controlled game, just requires a nice tight precision hit. Completely worthless for jumping a ball into a boot across the room though :D