Decision on tips please....

icecool69

Registered
Hi,

Just bought myself a jacoby cue with a edge hybrid shaft. I love you cue however, not to sure on the everest tip they put on as standard.

I am going to be putting a new tip on but not sure which to try. My current thinking is either a Kamui, G2, or ultraskin.

A lot of people i know swears by the kamui but i am not convinced. I have a couple of mates that play with a G2 but again unsure on these at the minute. The unltraskin from what i read is quite good but is this not a cheap version of Kamui?

Any advice would be grateful.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each their own, but, IMHO I think the Everest sucks.

I had Kamui Black SS tips on my cue an they played OK after I chopped about half of it off. However, they had a tendency to glaze over.

I had Kamui Black Medium and I thought it sucked.

I replaced it with a G2 Soft and it plays perfect for me. It doesn't glaze, it holds it shape well, and it gives you plenty of grip.

I just ordered another cue and it will have an Ultraskin Soft on it. If I don't like the way it plays, I'll put a G2 Soft on it, too.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips are a very personal matter. What suits one perfectly might not work at all for the next guy. I like pretty firm, hard tips so I play with Zan grip hard, Kamikaze hard or milkduds. Everest is one of the worst tips I have had, always cut them off straight away these days if a new shaft comes in with one.

Kamikazes are cheap and work okay, I like their hard tips quite a bit. Zan tips are always good regardless of hardness and are a safe choice if you just know what hardness you want.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I agree ... tips like most other things with a pool cue ... are a matter of personal preference.
Its tough to spend the money and go thru tips to find what you prefer but I do not know of any short cut. When you do find one ... buy a few extra tips from that same batch and stick with them.

Willee

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi,

Just bought myself a jacoby cue with a edge hybrid shaft. I love you cue however, not to sure on the everest tip they put on as standard.

I am going to be putting a new tip on but not sure which to try. My current thinking is either a Kamui, G2, or ultraskin.

A lot of people i know swears by the kamui but i am not convinced. I have a couple of mates that play with a G2 but again unsure on these at the minute. The unltraskin from what i read is quite good but is this not a cheap version of Kamui?

Any advice would be grateful.

I would recommend either a GOOD triangle...good luck, or a G2, Sniper, or Searing Precision. I wasn't exactly blown away by the Searing at first, but...The tip seems like a fine wine that just continues to get better each time I play with it. IMO, nothing grips like a G2, and I would/could play that tip all day every day, and may yet return to playing one.
Good luck.
j2

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everyone has mentioned the G2 which one do you think will be better to try first. Soft,medium or Hard?

The Soft was plenty hard enough for me, and the grip is unparalleled imo.
Best regards.
Joe P

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to reiterate. The Everest is horrible.

Next, it's just about how much money you want to spend.
I'd recommend to always try Ultraskins M and S, H is you like it harder.
Can't say that I believe in 20EUR ($) tips... with Kamui and the like.

In general I have been preferring softer ones over the years as I've been playing much softer.

Cheers,
M

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only 4 tips to even consider, none are layered. Only 1 of those are customized. The tips are ~ Elkmaster, Triangle, and LePro. The customized tip is a "Milkdud", a soaked & pressed Elkmaster made by Az member Jeff - 'pooldawg8' on this forum!

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what I think, go with the Ultraskin tip and see how it works for you. If you hate it or want to try another hardness, you are only out 2.50 + install charge. I think you will be hard pressed to beat that tip for the money. If nothing else, you will find out what hardness you prefer and not throw 10-30 dollars per tip to experiment.

One of the single biggest struggles with deciding on a tip is getting a brand that is consistent from tip to tip and from hardness to hardness.

It seems to me that no matter what hardness you start out with, the tip will eventually become harder over time. This is due to the constant compression of the tip every time you strike the cue ball. I think of it like hitting a piece of leather with a hammer.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is what I think, go with the Ultraskin tip and see how it works for you. If you hate it or want to try another hardness, you are only out 2.50 + install charge. I think you will be hard pressed to beat that tip for the money. If nothing else, you will find out what hardness you prefer and not throw 10-30 dollars per tip to experiment.

One of the single biggest struggles with deciding on a tip is getting a brand that is consistent from tip to tip and from hardness to hardness.

It seems to me that no matter what hardness you start out with, the tip will eventually become harder over time. This is due to the constant compression of the tip every time you strike the cue ball. I think of it like hitting a piece of leather with a hammer.

Agreed. For the price point, I would also highly recommend the SIB Pro. :cool:

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tips are a very personal matter. What suits one perfectly might not work at all for the next guy. I like pretty firm, hard tips so I play with Zan grip hard, Kamikaze hard or milkduds. Everest is one of the worst tips I have had, always cut them off straight away these days if a new shaft comes in with one.

Kamikazes are cheap and work okay, I like their hard tips quite a bit. Zan tips are always good regardless of hardness and are a safe choice if you just know what hardness you want.

That's great Kimmo...Glad you like the hard tip. Many others' are catching on as well and realize they don't have to pay $20-$25 for a good tip.

Last edited:

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Meucci has got the original tip on that came with the cue so not sure what they use.

I would believe it to be an UltraSkin Medium if it is black layered.

Thank you to all the nice things said about the UltraSkin and SIB Layered Tips.

Does the thread starter have some friends that he can hit some balls with their cues to help decide which he prefers?

One shoe doesn't fit all feet, find what you like and enjoy the game.

MalibuMike

Banned
Best Tip Made! Dennis Searing!

I like them better then Moori, Tailsmen, any Zan or Kamui..........
I play with a Medium and it has just gotten better with age!
Try using the new Taom Chalk, it is amazing, better then Kamui .98 and Zero Mess on CB or Table!

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 582

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As OP has limited experiences with cue tips, I would steer him away from soft, layered tips. They tend to mushroom and require more attention than, say, a medium, which is what I'd recommend where he start. As far as what brands, it's a crap shoot. As stated above, it can get expensive trying to learn about all the available options. A really good medium that doesn't mushroom but has a lot of grip and holds chalk well is the Kamui medium. That's the tan tip, not the black.

MalibuMike

Banned
i HAVE TRIED ALL THE TIPS, LOVE THE G-2's BUT.....

Everyone has mentioned the G2 which one do you think will be better to try first. Soft,medium or Hard?

I took them off all my cues when cue maker Dennis Searing came out with the Precision Tip. love both the soft and the Med! Med is more Med/Hard after some play... Best tip ever!

Attachments

• 1479094282.jpg
    1479094282.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 555
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 549
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 567
  • tips.jpg
    tips.jpg