$1,200 3rd SBE 2014 One Pocket Players C'ship
$2,500 5th WPBL 2013 Playoffs
$200 9th DCC 2014 14.1 Challenge
$600 17th World 14.1 Tournament 2014
$300 25th DCC 2014 9B Banks Div.
$200 50th DCC 2014 1P Div.

mgripy

Registered
No offense to John, but there are so many better choices. I mean if your putting people on a cup team, because he is nice? Uh thats silly. The object is to win.

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm excited to see Justin and Justin on the roster. This might not be the strongest team we could've fielded as far as individual players, but I think it's a strong team that will mesh and represent the U.S. well, win or lose.
yep justin and justin have been close friends a long time they should do well togather 10559903_333185920190289_3647558501702385028_n.jpg

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JOHN SCHMIDT

Full name
John SCHMIDT
Born
Apr. 12, 1973
Country
United States
Residence
Pensacola, FL, USA

Sponsor(s)
OB Cues, 6 Pocket
Equipment(s)
OB Cues ...

That's a bit dated. John moved out of Florida quite a while ago and, if I'm current on this, now lives in California. And he now represents Fury Cues rather than OB.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If these guys have good team chemistry it could lead to significant improvement in results even though I think this team is inferior to last year's team in terms of talent- but it looked like none of them wanted to be there and we saw the unfortunate results. I am still baffled at how badly those guys got blown out with all of the talent they have- who would have ever though SVB, Morris, Archer, Earl, and Hatch would only get two victories total?

liakos

Banned
I would have to agree with SJM that Schmidt is the strange choice of the group. He doesn't possess a big 9 ball break or known for understanding the break (see Corey). This was one of the big qualities that I thought were going to be looked at for a team member of this year's team. And not only has he not had any top finishes, he has also shown little interest in pool the past 5 years.

Maybe this is why the choices were made! Everyone can say what they want, but when it comes down to it, John has heart! Also, when it gets tough, he won't fade, he can grab a gear and run!

People are missing one important factor here, "pressure"!! Everyone has a high gear, but when the pressure is on, we all seem to fade a tad! If you take each player and factor in the pressure, everyone falls into a certain speed! If I take dechaine and Schmidt, playing races to 9, 9-ball for 100 a set! John won't get up and shoot much! But if the pressure is on, and the mosconi is one pressure packed event, I like John!

And under similar circumstances, I'll take Dalfonso over all of them! Besides Shane, I don't think anyone can handle the pressure like shorty can! Plus, he is an extremely nice guy! You definitely wouldn't have attitude problems with someone like shorty! And because I know shorty fairly well, I think he would make an awesome teammate!

Pressure!!! A couple yrs ago I was practicing on my home table, with a magic rack, and soft breaking! I managed to put an 11-pack together:) how come when I'm gambling, the best I've ever put together was a 2-pack?? Simple, pressure!!!

We are all affected by pressure, the difference between the great players(dechaine, sossei,) and the world class players(deuel, Schmidt,) is how they come with there game when the pressure is on!

I'm not knocking anyone here, just stating a simple fact, that if we all think about, we know it's true!!! Pressure!!!!!!!! Can make you or break you!:)

Good luck to the moscini cup team

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

liakos

Banned
No offense to John, but there are so many better choices. I mean if your putting people on a cup team, because he is nice? Uh thats silly. The object is to win.

So are you saying that John is not great?? The last mosconi cup he was on, he won! He's also won the US open! Also note, he didn't play much when he won the cup! I believe it was a last minute decision to play open, and a couple hrs of playing, he felt like he was gonna win the whole thing,,,, he did!

I guess most people in this forum are blind! People think if you haven't won tournaments, you suck or something!

How about bustamante?? He never won the US open,,,,, he must totally suck!!! I know, this about the US! But he comes to mind;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good luck to the moscini cup team

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Right on, fella. That's the spirit. December will be here before we know it. Time for us cheerleaders to start warming up.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
As a previous poster mentioned, this has a lot to do with pressure, or, the mental game.

Fundamentals are fundamentals but experience is the only cure for the mental game.

A well seasoned player can run 9 balls in a row in the middle of a hurricane. Throw in a dash of luck and we're good to go.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Mc 5 (2014)

I am mildly dissappointed in not seeing Jeremy Sossei on the MC5.

John Schmidt showed up at a room in the lower Hudson Valley (NY) some time ago and was there batting balls in and chatting up the crowd all at the same time. If memory serves me; he got to low 200's before he missed. He just got the Fury cues sponsorship. I heard it was quite a show. :cool:

TRUE, MC is all about the PRESSURE; ie: How you play when the heat is on ! When you are in the pit, there are only 2 things there with you,..... your cues & your conscience .
All the while you have 400 ppl wanting you to miss every time you approach the table, and you are playing the best in the world in a verrry short race to 5.

JS has been there before, not to menton that he would be a great mentor to the younger players. Mark Wilson will have hedged his odds for winning it all in having 3 veterans instead of 2 . :thumbup:

GOOD LUCK TEAM USA !!! I think you got a good shot at bringing the cup home this year ! :smile:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As a previous poster mentioned, this has a lot to do with pressure, or, the mental game.

Fundamentals are fundamentals but experience is the only cure for the mental game.

A well seasoned player can run 9 balls in a row in the middle of a hurricane. Throw in a dash of luck and we're good to go.

Yes, and the ones who know about pressure are the ones that have made deep runs in rotational pool competition in recent years, not the ones who did it last decade.

I won't say that Schmidt won't add to team chemistry, but on competitive merit and the ability to handle the pressure of competing against the truly elite in the game, John's selection is pretty hard to fathom.

Perhaps as a pool journalist you see yourself as compelled to defend the rather odd choice of Schmidt, but if the choice is defensible, it is certainly not so on current playing skill, competitive merit, or the ability to handle pressure.

In contrast, in 2014 alone, Sossei has beaten a lot of big names, including two of Europe's most elite in Vandenberg and Ouschan. He has beaten Shane, Dechaine, and Strickland, too. That's my idea of handling pressure.

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dream team is

I always felt that the team should be Archer, Earl, Corey, Rodney and Shane. At least for the next few years. The experience and skill set is very strong with those five regardless of their results for the year.

Either way, good luck team USA! Bring it home!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With all the discussion about John Schmidt's selection, and a couple mentions of his past Mosconi Cup participation, I thought I'd post what that history actually was.

• Schmidt has played on the Mosconi Cup team once -- in 2006 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

• His teammates were -- Archer, Davis, Deuel, Morris, and Strickland.

• The Euro team was -- Alcaide, Engert, Immonen, I. Majid, Souquet, and van den Berg.

• The matches ended in a 12-12 tie. USA retained the Cup, because they had won the previous year.

• Assuming all 6 players on each side participated in the Team matches, then Schmidt participated in 8 matches with 3 wins and 5 losses. The 3 wins were the 2 Team matches and 1 Triples match. The 5 losses were 2 Singles matches, 2 Doubles matches, and 1 Triples match.

• Counting 1/6 of a point for each player in a Team match, 1/3 of a point for each player in a Triples match, 1/2 of a point for each player in a Doubles match, and a full point for each player in a Singles match, Schmidt's contribution toward the overall 12-12 Cup score would be 2/3 of a point on the winning side and 3 1/3 points on the losing side.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure skylers chances of making it would have been more realistic of Johnny Archer didn't send him packin at the us open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't be a results picker for one race to 11 when it comes to something like the selection criteria for the 2014 Mosconi Cup Team USA. I could retort and say Sky defeated World Champion Alex Pagulayan, who I think is a stronger player than Johnny Archer. :grin-square:

I don't agree with some of the selections for Team USA, but it doesn't matter what the public thinks at this stage. Now is the time to sit back and enjoy the show. It's a done deal. :)

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Refs are almost certainly Michaela Tabb and Nigel Rees. Broadcasters are Jim Wych, Jerry Forsyth and Andy Goldberg (an English guy who plays pretty good snooker and pool).

Actually the refs are Michaela and Ken Schuman.
Will you not be joining Jerry and Jim in the box this year?
It would devalue the commentary if AG was there and JH wasn't.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeremy Sossei would have seemed a popular choice over John Schmidt. But Mark Wilson is not stupid and has spotted something over the last eight months that caused him to plump for the latter.
I like an earlier posters view of Corey and John mentoring the two Justins (Corey with JH and John with JB). These then would make mighty tough doubles teams. Then then the two debutants playing together would also be strong. Finally Shane with anyone and you could be looking at Team USA getting quite a few matches under their belt.
The crowd factor could cause problems for some of the less experienced European team (Gray, Ekonomopolous, Boyes) more so than the US players who have become mentally trained to shut the distractions out.