Tou Shalt Not Play Pool?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The certificate also lays out certain restrictions: "... the Condition of this Recognizance is such, That if the said Gerardus Hardenbrook do not, during the Time that he shall keep an Inn or Tavern, keep a disorderly Inn or Tavern, or suffer or permit any Cock-fighting, Gaming, or Playing with Cards or Dice, or keep any Billiard-Table, or other Gaming-Table, or Shuffle-Board..."

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/49395794_richard-varick

Kind of funny I thought.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
From its first legislative sessions in 1819, the Illinois General Assembly, in "An Act for the Prevention of Vice and Immorality," prohibited citizens of the state from playing "at cards, dice, billiards, bowls, shovel board, or any game of hazard" or running "any horse, mare, or gelding" for money.
Violators were to pay $10 for each offense. Those who lost bets could not be required to pay, and if they did so, they could sue within thirty days to recover the money. In 1827 the legislature raised the fine to a minimum of $25 and extended the time for recovery of gambling losses to six months.
If the loser failed to sue, any other person could sue for triple the amount. If successful, the plaintiff in such cases would receive one half the award, and the county would receive the other half. The legislature also prohibited the sale of playing cards, dice, and billiard tables.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
May 1st, 1919 The State of Texas Bans ALL pool halls from existence :frown:
(ironically in chapter "8")

content

read the whole law here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=S...lliard law 1919&pg=PA2196#v=onepage&q&f=false

warnerwh

Registered
Thanks you guys. I had no idea pool tables were ever outlawed anywhere. I have noticed there is some gambling going on among the pool players. I will have to tell people that I can no longer play pool for money because I found out that it is bad.