Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page "Poolology", Maybe the best $10 ever spent!
Page 7 of 16 « First 567 89 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#91)
Redneck Jim
AzB Silver Member
Redneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond reputeRedneck Jim has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-30-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
Ok......I talked to lulu and found out why it's not working. They save the downloaded edition under purchaser's account, and that's the only one that can repeatedly be downloaded. Hmmmm. I know how to fix it, ........
I'm having the same problem with LuLu ( download is the old version).
Any help appreciated.

A Student Of The Game .......................

"Seen it all, done it all... Just can't remember most of it."

Old
  (#92)
heismii
AzB Bronze Member
heismii is on a distinguished road

06-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Iam running into the same issue as well. I will PM you BC21. Thanks!

Old
  (#93)
RobMan
AzB Silver Member
RobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The new edition of Poolology is now available. If anyone here purchased the eBook from www.lulu.com, THE FREE DOWNLOAD OF NEW EDITION IS NOT WORKING. on me with proof of purchase and I'll get the correct edition for you.

For those that have requested a printed copy to replace a printed first edition or previously revised edition, I will have those sent out this week.

The 2nd edition contains information that was edited out of the book prior to publication, including the algebraic/geometrical origins of the system and how/why it works. I also added the missing alignment values for Zone C back-cuts and a couple of extra example shots. In my original effort to make the system easier to work with, I sacrificed accuracy in a couple of small areas and rearranged a couple of position lines in Zone A (the 40 & 50 lines) for easier visualization. Now the less accurate areas (comprising about 1% of the table) are included in the diagrams and the 40 & 50 lines have been shifted to provide greater accuracy.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback! Sorry this became such a hassle.

Brian Crist
Brian: Is the new edition on Amazon? I just searched and it shows the E-Book with a date of April 28th and price of $7.99.

I have the original version on ebook from Amazon on March 16th for $9.99 - love it BTW! I too have no problem with an additional purchase for the second edition.

Old
  (#94)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMan View Post
Brian: Is the new edition on Amazon? I just searched and it shows the E-Book with a date of April 28th and price of $7.99.

I have the original version on ebook from Amazon on March 16th for $9.99 - love it BTW! I too have no problem with an additional purchase for the second edition.
The new edition will not be available on Amazon or Apple's iBooktore until the end of June I believe. I'll pm you RobMan.

Old
  (#95)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

06-05-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
I am new here so I will be very careful what I say. This aiming section title does say "argue to your heart's content". So I will...in a polite way. This poolology is the most complicated stuff...with all these arithmetic formulas. Why in the world would anyone want to get involved with this over CTE? In CTE he shows that you just have four shots to mess with...15-30-45-60 degree shots and that's it. Get perception (that's the easy part), aim cue stick one half tip from perception target, pivot to center cueball, and make the shot on the center verticle axis somewhere..the ball goes in the hole. I've never had a formal lesson, just watched youtube of Mr. Shuffett. And have only been doing it for about four weeks. CTE doesn't seem complicated at all to me and appears to be a better, simplified, method. I'm moving into the application of english next. I actually ran 56 balls in a straight pool game using it. I don't know who was more amazed, me or my opponent. I won $18.00 and that pleased me a lot.

It is apparent that you have not purchased Poolology. Lol. There are no "arithmetic formulas". Not sure what system you're talking about, but it's not Poolology.

Old
  (#96)
RobMan
AzB Silver Member
RobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2017, 06:19 AM

Just want to chime in that after working with this method for a couple months, my ball potting percentage has increased pretty dramatically. I am a "B" level player by most accounts, and really only play once or twice per week. I can imagine if I had a table at home and could practice a bit more, the improvement would only be multiplied.

I use an app for playing in 14.1 league that tracks misses,safeties, fouls, etc. and displays the percentages at the end of each game. In my recent matches, my miss percentage has dropped; now some of this may be due to smarter play as well (more safeties as a percentage), however there is no doubt I am hitting with much more confidence. Zones 1 & 2 are probably 95% of the shots in 14.1.

Just want to give a shout out to Brian for publishing this AND at such an affordable price. There are lots of systems that work and work well, but for me, this was the easiest to adopt and implement successfully. YMMV.

Old
  (#97)
paultex
AzB Silver Member
paultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
It is apparent that you have not purchased Poolology. Lol. There are no "arithmetic formulas". Not sure what system you're talking about, but it's not Poolology.
Hey BC, wut up dude? Quick question, is a angle calculation of cb/ob relationship relative to the angle of attack you apply to address the shot itself?

That question does not make sense obviously because the cb/ob relationship is never in flux, but do you always come into a shot at the same angle of attack or do you favor a particular offset for certain shots and do you address this in your book?

I know for a fact there are certain cb/ob relationships that force a player into undesireable offset attack angles wether they know it or not....or like it.

Thanks

Old
  (#98)
BC21
Poolology

07-12-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultex View Post
Hey BC, wut up dude? Quick question, is a angle calculation of cb/ob relationship relative to the angle of attack you apply to address the shot itself?

That question does not make sense obviously because the cb/ob relationship is never in flux, but do you always come into a shot at the same angle of attack or do you favor a particular offset for certain shots and do you address this in your book?

I know for a fact there are certain cb/ob relationships that force a player into undesireable offset attack angles wether they know it or not....or like it.

Thanks
The aiming method in Poolology simply gives you an aim point for pocketing a ball, which provides an aim line (center CB to the given aim point). In the book I really don't address coming down into the shot, if that's what you mean by "attack".

With a known line of aim, all a player has to do is step into the shot in a manner that brings the cue stick/stroke directly along that aim line. I don't cover it in Poolology. If so, I guess I'd say to imagine the aim line as a vertical plane splitting the room. It would extend from the table to the ceiling, and also from the table to the floor. A right-handed player would typically place the toe of his right shoe across the line where this plane meets the floor, and higher up on this same vertical plane is where the right elbow should be. The left foot takes a step toward the table, doesn't matter if it's a step closer and to the left or just a step left like a prone position stance. It's whatever is comfortable for the player. The most important part of stepping into the shot is that everything involving the stroke should be stacked on that vertical plane, which is also the line of aim. Right foot, right elbow, right hand, butt of the cue l, the bridge portion of the bridge hand, the shaft of the cue, etc....everything stacked vertically on that line. But it's not in the book.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#99)
BC21
Poolology

07-12-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMan View Post
Just want to chime in that after working with this method for a couple months, my ball potting percentage has increased pretty dramatically. I am a "B" level player by most accounts, and really only play once or twice per week. I can imagine if I had a table at home and could practice a bit more, the improvement would only be multiplied.

I use an app for playing in 14.1 league that tracks misses,safeties, fouls, etc. and displays the percentages at the end of each game. In my recent matches, my miss percentage has dropped; now some of this may be due to smarter play as well (more safeties as a percentage), however there is no doubt I am hitting with much more confidence. Zones 1 & 2 are probably 95% of the shots in 14.1.

Just want to give a shout out to Brian for publishing this AND at such an affordable price. There are lots of systems that work and work well, but for me, this was the easiest to adopt and implement successfully. YMMV.
Thanks you so much! . I'm glad to hear the method is providing you with positive results. Many players from around the world are contacting me via Facebook and YouTube just to let me know how much the book has improved their game. It means more the world to me, and I can't say thank you enough!

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#100)
paultex
AzB Silver Member
paultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
The aiming method in Poolology simply gives you an aim point for pocketing a ball, which provides an aim line (center CB to the given aim point). In the book I really don't address coming down into the shot, if that's what you mean by "attack".

With a known line of aim, all a player has to do is step into the shot in a manner that brings the cue stick/stroke directly along that aim line. I don't cover it in Poolology. If so, I guess I'd say to imagine the aim line as a vertical plane splitting the room. It would extend from the table to the ceiling, and also from the table to the floor. A right-handed player would typically place the toe of his right shoe across the line where this plane meets the floor, and higher up on this same vertical plane is where the right elbow should be. The left foot takes a step toward the table, doesn't matter if it's a step closer and to the left or just a step left like a prone position stance. It's whatever is comfortable for the player. The most important part of stepping into the shot is that everything involving the stroke should be stacked on that vertical plane, which is also the line of aim. Right foot, right elbow, right hand, butt of the cue l, the bridge portion of the bridge hand, the shaft of the cue, etc....everything stacked vertically on that line. But it's not in the book.
Thanks.

Yes, that's what I meant about attack.

I typically place my right toe on that plain as a starting point and if I line up on it, get down and kick my elbow to what feels like a exaggerated "right", then my elbow and back arm or tricep is dead on line with the shot line but it doesn't always add up to a straight execution blah blah blah.

I wish it did.

I bought a camera yesterday and I got a bunch of flaws.

Thanks.

Old
  (#101)
BC21
Poolology

07-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Yes, that's what I meant about attack.

I typically place my right toe on that plain as a starting point and if I line up on it, get down and kick my elbow to what feels like a exaggerated "right", then my elbow and back arm or tricep is dead on line with the shot line but it doesn't always add up to a straight execution blah blah blah.

I wish it did.

I bought a camera yesterday and I got a bunch of flaws.

Thanks.
Stroke flaws or alignment issues? Or both?

I think a good way to develop a true stroke would be to tape a mini laser pointer to the ferrule of your cue. Then get a box, a small box like 8 inches wide and at least 8 inches tall. Draw a thick vertical line (like 1/4" thick) down the center of one side of the box, then place it on the table a couple of feet away with the vertical line facing you. Turn the laser on, form a bridge and stroke the cue toward the line on the box. The beam can move up or down because that's a normal stroke movement, but it shouldn't move left or right of the vertical line. If it stays pretty much on the line, you've got a good stroke. If it moves left or right of the line you've got a funky thing going on that needs straightned out.

It would be a great invention to utilize an infrared beam (like at the bottom of a garage door) transmitted from the cue shaft, to a light-activated sensor inside the box. There would be a slit/gap in the box that allows the light to hit the sensor. As long as the sensor is getting the beam of light (meaning the stroke his correctly hitting the gap), music plays. Any time the stroke goes too far left or right the music stops. A simple on/off circuit in series between an MP3 player (or phone) and a speaker would work. The vertical gap in the box could be adjustable in width to accommodate a very wobbly stroke or a fairly straight stroke. The goal would be to keep stroking in order to hear an entire song with no cutouts.

I'd buy one. Would you?

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#102)
paultex
AzB Silver Member

07-12-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Stroke flaws or alignment issues? Or both?

I think a good way to develop a true stroke would be to tape a mini laser pointer to the ferrule of your cue. Then get a box, a small box like 8 inches wide and at least 8 inches tall. Draw a thick vertical line (like 1/4" thick) down the center of one side of the box, then place it on the table a couple of feet away with the vertical line facing you. Turn the laser on, form a bridge and stroke the cue toward the line on the box. The beam can move up or down because that's a normal stroke movement, but it shouldn't move left or right of the vertical line. If it stays pretty much on the line, you've got a good stroke. If it moves left or right of the line you've got a funky thing going on that needs straightned out.

It would be a great invention to utilize an infrared beam (like at the bottom of a garage door) transmitted from the cue shaft, to a light-activated sensor inside the box. There would be a slit/gap in the box that allows the light to hit the sensor. As long as the sensor is getting the beam of light (meaning the stroke his correctly hitting the gap), music plays. Any time the stroke goes too far left or right the music stops. A simple on/off circuit in series between an MP3 player (or phone) and a speaker would work. The vertical gap in the box could be adjustable in width to accommodate a very wobbly stroke or a fairly straight stroke. The goal would be to keep stroking in order to hear an entire song with no cutouts.

I'd buy one. Would you?
I don't knock your idea, I think it's great. But so is ghost ball etc etc but it doesn't work for me for numberous reasons that takes out a lot of commonality in pool that I speak of. There is a lot of commonality as far as perception goes though, but not visual method from what I observed.

I see or have a hardwiring or propensity for parallel and I let that influence my delivery.

Ernesto Domingez told me himself that he aims his stick at the target. If he doesn't, his stroke feels wobbly.

I cannot aim my stick in that fashion because it will tend to redirect my stroke because my stroke is either not grooved for it or maybe my stroke simply sucks. But I would imagine anyone's stroke would suck if you directed them to try a different method.

So with that said, I can't exactly tell you what my flaws are other than the obvious things that need addressing such as grip position on average needs to be one fist width back. I'm dropping my elbow on certain shots etc etc.

BUT, here's where I simply lean on my own personal journey of understanding and simply working with my biases and proclivities and make it work. I feel very confident I'll be able to solve it all but you can throw objectivity completely out the window.

However and this is a last statement or point, I don't see how a stroke can be ironed out to a point beyond simple sound mechanics which i do have....when there are positional shot layouts on a given table situation/location that force you or biases a player into a skewed position, thus stroke is effected.

Also, this business of sweep or how one comes into a shot or from what side of angle or even perception, effects stroke.

When I line up everything really well, my stroke behaves perfect. I can't do it for all shots unfortunately but I'm coming to some conclusions that sometimes you don't want a perfect stroke. It depends on the shot and perception and line up and desired cb effect. I've found sometimes it's best to just let that skewed appearing stroke rip.

I'll figure it out or confirm another solution must be found and if it means your box idea then I'll do it. If it means anything short of drugs or drinking a glass of cow pee, I'll do it.

But for now it's going to be my way and I'm having fun with it. I like a challenge but I have every intention of succeeding. Trying ain't good enough. Anyone can step into a cage and get their ass kicked.....winning is something else altogether.

Thanks sir.

Last edited by paultex; 07-12-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Old
  (#103)
BC21
Poolology

07-13-2017, 05:37 AM

paultex:. Sounds like you are very determined and have plenty of passion, which happens to be two great paths to finding the right road to success, or "winmanship" as a buddy of mine says.

I read in a golf magazine years ago about Ben Hogan teaching three different swing planes, and how a player can test to see which swing best suits his or her body type. I've done it. It works. Instead of trying to conform to a certain swing, I found out which swing plane works best for me and immediately began shaving strokes off my golf game. I bring this up because I'm a firm believer in doing things your own way, programming your brain to make it work in accordance with your individual intricacies. For a beginning pool player, I would surely have to suggest sticking to traditional fundamentals and standard stroke as a starting point. But even then, that beginner will branch off at some point and make his stroke unique to his own feel and liking.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#104)
paultex
AzB Silver Member

07-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
paultex:. Sounds like you are very determined and have plenty of passion, which happens to be two great paths to finding the right road to success, or "winmanship" as a buddy of mine says.

I read in a golf magazine years ago about Ben Hogan teaching three different swing planes, and how a player can test to see which swing best suits his or her body type. I've done it. It works. Instead of trying to conform to a certain swing, I found out which swing plane works best for me and immediately began shaving strokes off my golf game. I bring this up because I'm a firm believer in doing things your own way, programming your brain to make it work in accordance with your individual intricacies. For a beginning pool player, I would surely have to suggest sticking to traditional fundamentals and standard stroke as a starting point. But even then, that beginner will branch off at some point and make his stroke unique to his own feel and liking.
Yeah I like ben hogan and his story. He said he didn't have as much talent as the other champs so he figured he would beat them by out working them and I believe he did.

I also like that he was a man's man and a hard ass. He was involved in a bad car accident with his wife and just before impact, he threw himself in front of his wife in the passenger seat to protect her. That goes a long way in showing his character.

Then there's another story I thought was cool because I don't care much for Johnny miller. Miller as a young player went up to hogan at augusta I think and said how it was such an honor to meet him etc etc and hogan looks up and says, "can't you see I'm busy eating my soup??"

Lol

See, the problem with your box idea for me is i bet I could keep that music going no problem but put a cb/ob relationship in front of it and the music is going to stop.

There's just something tied into perception formulation of cb delivery that skews my stroke a certain way to meet the requirement for solution because cb manipulation for end result of static rest position is what influences my execution.

FORMULATION + LAUNCH POINT + CUEBALL DESTINATIONAL STATIC REST = pool

There's nothing in that equation about ball pocketing.

Ball pocketing is a binary allowance of continuation or finality.

Alignment is the system.

That's my methodology and it's the table and perception that owns me, not the other way around.

I watch guys like ko pin yi and I wish I could own it like he does but I can't. My brain simply doesn't over ride illusion. I skew my delivery to satisfy the illusion.

It's all one big trick shot to me and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit there and strain out shot after shot like I did in the past. I believe I got no choice in this matter because I've picked a direction, I believe there is solve and if I'm wrong, then I quit because I don't have time or desire to revamp again.

This is a one way ticket homie and I'm going to sink with the ship if that's the destination.

Old
  (#105)
BC21
Poolology

07-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
.......I watch guys like ko pin yi and I wish I could own it like he does but I can't. My brain simply doesn't over ride illusion. I skew my delivery to satisfy the illusion.

It's all one big trick shot to me and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit there and strain out shot after shot like I did in the past. I believe I got no choice in this matter because I've picked a direction, I believe there is solve and if I'm wrong, then I quit because I don't have time or desire to revamp again.

This is a one way ticket homie and I'm going to sink with the ship if that's the destination.
Well, I hope you stay afloat with a strong wind at your back!

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Page 7 of 16 « First 567 89 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: