Kamui tips and chalk question

jdxprs

Banned
i've recently had a shaft made for my scruggs by phelps custom cues. i wanted to try something new, so i went with a kamui super soft.

i've never miscued so many times in my life. is this common with kamui tips? is this why they invented a new kind of chalk?

i honestly dont understand what all the hype is about with kamui. too expensive, and no where near as good as an elk master (if you want soft) or a triangle.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I'm not sure why so many folks are having problems like this...I just got a new shaft with a Kamui Black Soft tip (first time I've ever tried one). I shot for four straight hours with it last night, using nothing but masters blue (flag) chalk. I often whent 5 or 6 shots without chalking. Only miscued once, and that was on purpose trying to see how far out I could stroke the cueball. For me, it grabs the cueball as good as any tip, no mushrooming (yet) and I tip picked it just a little once as it started to glaze over--no worse than any other tip I've ever used. What kind of bevel are you dressing your tip to, dime or nickel? What's the diameter of your tip? Mine is dime bevel, 12.5 mm...

jdxprs

Banned
I'm not sure why so many folks are having problems like this...I just got a new shaft with a Kamui Black Soft tip (first time I've ever tried one). I shot for four straight hours with it last night, using nothing but masters blue (flag) chalk. I often whent 5 or 6 shots without chalking. Only miscued once, and that was on purpose trying to see how far out I could stroke the cueball. For me, it grabs the cueball as good as any tip, no mushrooming (yet) and I tip picked it just a little once as it started to glaze over--no worse than any other tip I've ever used. What kind of bevel are you dressing your tip to, dime or nickel? What's the diameter of your tip? Mine is dime bevel, 12.5 mm...

dime at 12.85. last night i miscued 3 times in 9 racks of 8 ball, and i chalk before every shot.

jdxprs

Banned
strange. just me i guess then. miscuing is pretty rare for me before this tip though. i've been using it for over a week now, but maybe i just need to get used to it and stay in the middle of whitey.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
strange. just me i guess then. miscuing is pretty rare for me before this tip though. i've been using it for over a week now, but maybe i just need to get used to it and stay in the middle of whitey.

Maybe you just got a bad one. I've heard nothing but positive feedback. :cool:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Well I don't know you so I won't say it's mechanics (you've got a Scruggs, for crying out loud!)...there's a lot of counterfeit Kamui's out there, they're said to be dodgey...maybe you got one? I don't know what to tell you...maybe others who've had this problem have better ideas...

If you don't know, the real Kamui Blacks have a holographic image on them, the fake ones just an imprint. You'd have to see the tip before install to check...

just kick'n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tips

Maybe the install was less than perfect. If the mechanic got shaft wax all over your tip, that would explain your problem. Otherwise, it ain't the Kamui's fault. IMO

jdxprs

Banned
Maybe the install was less than perfect. If the mechanic got shaft wax all over your tip, that would explain your problem. Otherwise, it ain't the Kamui's fault. IMO

not likely a mechanic issue. phelps is pretty much known for very high quality around here.

jdxprs

Banned
You must have got a bad tip. I won't misscue that much w/o a tip on. Johnnyt

EXACTLY!!!

No kidding, i believe i've miscued between 12-15 times in the past week. 3 in 9 racks last night, and in 6 hours of play sunday night I had 4 that i can remember. I really thought i just needed to get use to the new set up, but this makes no sense. Before this tip, i don't think i've miscued 5 times in 2011.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I play with a Kamui tip with master chalk and rarely miscue. Even when I load up with english, just rarely miscue. I don't know how people have these problems...

twal

"W"
Silver Member
You are not alone!

You never said if it was a black or tan.
Personally I love the tans and never had an issue.

If it is a black:
I tried the Kamui blacks for maybe a year.
Felt good at first and then after the brake in period I began to have problems.
All this talk about stroke seems comical to me.

If you don't miscue with a $.50 Triangle tip you should not have a constant miscue with $20.00 tip.

Personally, I switched to Longoni's NIR chalk (they also make the blue diamond). The NIR is just more... Sticky. Anyway, I switched to the NIR to combat the constant miscue issue with the black.

I switched to the Kamui tans and never looked back.

I know I am not you and I are not the only one.
Do a Kamui search here and you will see many of us have had this issue.

I also know of 2 other local players who had the same experience.

If the installer just simply puts the tip on and cuts it down, how can this be their issue?

Just my opinion: when the black gets broken it seems to glaze over.

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
sorry, i didnt know there were different ones. i have a black super soft.

You're doing something wrong. You should never miscue with that tip. I've used both super soft tips and never ever had an issue.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put on a Kamui Black Hard last week. After taking a couple hours to break it in, I can go most of a rack without chalking without miscues.