Sneakiest Pete for under $200?

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need a sneaky but cant seem to find any I like. Most of them arent sneaky at all and have logos. It would really help my situation if it had 3×8/10 thread as well. Suggestions please.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Looking for a True Sneaky Pete

I too am looking for a True Sneaky Pete.

True "House Cue" Sneaky Pete

1. No joint collars of any kind. Must be wood to wood. No wood tone or wood color phenolic rings either.

2. The wood to wood should be machined/turned well, to be as seamless as possible.

3. Shaft wood matching the butt as close as possible is another big plus.

4. No butt caps. House cues do not have butt caps. They are wood all the way to the bumper. A sneaky is trying to mimic a house cue. This is always forgotten.

5. No exotic woods. It can be plain as a house cue, but bocote or cocobolo will ruin the effect.

6. True house cues style points. That means no veneers, no extra-long points, only 4 points - not 5 or 6. Using the house cue type splice.

7. No inlays of any kind anywhere.

8. No long ferrules, or unusually short ferrules (like OB classic or i2). House cues don't have Meucci length ferrules.

9. No wraps of any kind.

10. No fancy or unusual bumpers. There's some leeway here, could use a Schon style bumper and be fine. Maybe a Meucci style one too which is used on some Player's cues. However, the big and large ones house cues typically have is best to maximize the effect.

11. Extreme length pro-tapers, or very small diameter shafts with very long tapers are visibly different and obvious are not recommended. Can still go with a long pro taper, just avoid the pencil shaft profiles.

12. Avoid super high luster finishes (like that of high end custom cues). They are not a good thing, in fact ...too clean of a cue is a give away also. If you are like myself, and keep a cue immaculate and clean, it will always look different and odd. Some dings and dents in the butt, a more matte finish, and some blue on the shaft is a good thing. High quality finishes really stand out, which is why cuemakers put a lot of effort into them. That's not what you want.

13. A nice touch, is the addition of a stamping on the butt's forearm indicating the cue's weight just like house cues have.

However, the days of house cue sneaky petes being sneaky are pretty much over.
Still does fool some people.

Last edited:

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
Too bad you put the limit at $200, otherwise you could get yourself a Predator sneaky. They usually have neon green or orange on them and are emblazoned with Predator logos on the butt and shaft. Soooooo sneaky.

I was shooting with a Player's sneaky before I got my Mezz. I swear that thing shot better than my Schon and it only cost around $70. Unfortunately not a 3x8/10 thread.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

I'm buying a used Players rosewood SP that I'll sand lightly in the areas where your hand goes and only use matte finish to create a house cue road worn look.
I'll add some dings and dents to it, keeping clear of the stroke zone on the shaft.
It has a small butt cap that I will knock off and hopefully be able to put a rubber bumper on.
If not then a bare end will add to the look.
I feel the Players SP is the best quality for the minimal cost of $50 used.

Smeckly does make the closet True SP without doing any work on the cue. Except sanding the name off.
Just too nice of a finish and no dings or dents.
Not sure how it compares to the Players.
If a used one pops up on fleabay I may buy it.

Action, J&J, Fury make SP's but not sure of quality.
Plus some have small butt caps to contend with.

Have Fun.
Let us know what you went with.
Post pictures.

Last edited:

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im fron Newfoundland and there are a lot of small bars in all the small towns in this Province. I need it to be actually really sneaky. My OB136 dont cut it either. I will gladly pay more then $200 for a good sneaky pete that completely blends in. MCHNHED got the right idea.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/schmelke/schmelke_r40-hoppe.htm

Think im gonna go with this one. Its under $200 and has a 3×8/10 thread. Any reason not to?

No Cocobolo.
Too fancy a wood.
You need something more plain.
Rosewood?
Ask the Smeklies what wood looks the most like a house cue.

Plus.... it has rings. No House Cue Has Rings.

Ask them to put a 3/8x10 pin in a Purple Wood or Rosewood SP.

Maybe they will see a market for a Road Worn Sneaky Pete.

Fender thrashs new guitars, then they charge extra.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,076
Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/schmelke/schmelke_r40-hoppe.htm

Think im gonna go with this one. Its under $200 and has a 3×8/10 thread. Any reason not to?

Yeah, because it doesn't look sneaky like an actual house cue like what you say you are wanting. It has collars, rings, woods that are never in house cues, and probably has the Schmelke logo on it too. The finish may also look noticeably better than what is on the typical house cue as well, not as sure about this one.

For the price you are trying to stay close to I also think Schmelke is your best bet, but you are better off just custom ordering from them. Everybody says they are fantastic to work with and everybody seems to be real happy with their cues and feel that they got more than their monies worth. Since you are custom ordering tell them no collars, rings, fancy woods, or any of the other things you don't want that a typical house cue would never have. Let them know you want a true sneaky that looks exactly like a house cue but with a 3/8x10 pin. Also, according to a recent thread on here, several people said that you can also request that they leave off their logo (it is rather big and noticeable IMO), and you can probably even request a lighter finish or even a hand rubbed oil finish or whatever it is that you think make it look most like a house cue. You can even request particular tapers and the type of balance you want it to have I believe.

Bottom line is custom order from Schmelke and you can truly have it custom exactly the way you want it with good quality work and a steal of a price that won't be much more than a similar catalog model of theirs.
http://schmelkecue.com/

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for your advice. Some how I missed the collars and rings. Custom ordering from schmelke has to be the way too go. Im surprised how hard it is to buy a true sneaky pete.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

True "House Cue" Sneaky Pete

1. No joint collars of any kind. Must be wood to wood. No wood tone or wood color phenolic rings either.

2. The wood to wood should be machined/turned well, to be as seamless as possible.

3. Shaft wood matching the butt as close as possible is another big plus.

4. No butt caps. House cues do not have butt caps. They are wood all the way to the bumper. A sneaky is trying to mimic a house cue. This is always forgotten.

5. No exotic woods. It can be plain as a house cue, but bocote or cocobolo will ruin the effect.

6. True house cues style points. That means no veneers, no extra-long points, only 4 points - not 5 or 6. Using the house cue type splice.

7. No inlays of any kind anywhere.

8. No long ferrules, or unusually short ferrules (like OB classic or i2). House cues don't have Meucci length ferrules.

9. No wraps of any kind.

10. No fancy or unusual bumpers. There's some leeway here, could use a Schon style bumper and be fine. Maybe a Meucci style one too which is used on some Player's cues. However, the big and large ones house cues typically have is best to maximize the effect.

11. Extreme length pro-tapers, or very low diameter shafts with very long tapers is visibly different and obvious is not recommended. Can still go with a long pro taper, just avoid the pencil shaft profiles.

12. Avoid super high luster finishes (like that of high end custom cues). They are not a good thing, in fact ...too clean of a cue is a give away also. If you are like myself, and keep a cue immaculate and clean, it will always look different and odd. Some dings and dents in the butt, a more matte finish, and some blue on the shaft is a good thing. High quality finishes really stand out, which is why cuemakers put a lot of effort into them. That's not what you want.

13. A nice touch, is the addition of a stamping on the butt's forearm indicating the cue's weight just like house cues have.

However, the days of house cue sneaky petes being sneaky are pretty much over.
Still does fool some people.
SCHMELKE ~ SCHMELKE ~ SCHMELKE,,,,,,,,,, got it ???

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a true sneaky pete with 'house cue' patina, find a house cue you like in a pool room, buy it from the owner, and have it converted. I have friends who have done it.

I haven't paid attention to house cues in current pool rooms. But years ago, a 1" white ferrule was a dead giveaway for a sneaky pete. In those days, house cues had short ferrules, often they were black. My old Dufferins have short white ferrules.

If you happen to find one for sale, older Meucci sneaky petes can be great cues that look like true sneakies, except for the long ferrules. Mine is not for sale.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for your advice. Some how I missed the collars and rings. Custom ordering from schmelke has to be the way too go. Im surprised how hard it is to buy a true sneaky pete.

how is it hard exactly? one key word search on google

I'm using a players at the moment with a zan tip

dufferin makes a good one too

both under $100

and of course schmelke has been mentioned

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke is the way to go. They will take their logo off, if you ask them to and build it to the exact weight, taper. Their joints are normally a little bigger than normal. I'd have them make it to .840, in case you want to put a low deflection shaft on it sometime. I think you could get a rosewood built and deliver for under $130.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I'd weigh in and recommend the Schmelke, but that's been done to death.

First thing you should do, if you really want it to blend in, is get a nice chalk ring going on the ferrule.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
If you want a true sneaky pete with 'house cue' patina, find a house cue you like in a pool room, buy it from the owner, and have it converted.

Not a quality player I would think.

Custom from SCHMELKE following the guidelines listed.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
^^^^ This..

Or just play with a house cue.

Most of the places I play in do not have house cues in the 3rd World.

People bring their 1-piece cues.

Plus, I want a good quality cue that I am familiar with.

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duffrin makes a 1 pc, 58" cue for $36

But isn't a real house cue 56" with a 13mm tip

Don't lose the SP by having it blend in to well with the rest of the house cues, someone might grab it by mistake.

Are you trying to be sneaky or do you just want a cheap cue that plays well ?