What's your greatest pool accomplishment?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know we all act like world beaters but in reality what's your greatest pool accomplishment?

Mine personally was winning a hard $40 64 player race to 5 eightball tournment last January. Not the most glamorous but definitely the most rewarding for me, it trumped all the team events we won or cashed in over the years including Vegas 1/2 a dozen times. it's also hard for me to believe that I've never attended a state level tournament in my life due to not wanting to use vacation time!

I hope this thred takes off, I'm curious to see who has done what!

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I don't really have any.

Maybe the night I took home cash from three guys I gamble with often. Beat all three in the same night for about 800 total.

Won the winner's side in a 64 player tournament that had some of the states best players in it. Not sure how I ended in the hot seat, and got beat like a red headed step child in the finals. Didn't care, had all of myself in the calcutta for not all that much. Was a good payday.

Mostly I just want to be ahead on the money at the end of my playing season. Don't really play much from march-october, would rather golf and fish. I'm no world beater, have never really bothered to practice and put in the time to get to my best game. Never will, back hurts too much these days to put in the time needed to play well.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Mine is to have installed, moved or repaired over 10 000 pool tables so far

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

I know we all act like world beaters but in reality what's your greatest pool accomplishment?

Mine personally was winning a hard $40 64 player race to 5 eightball tournment last January. Not the most glamorous but definitely the most rewarding for me, it trumped all the team events we won or cashed in over the years including Vegas 1/2 a dozen times. it's also hard for me to believe that I've never attended a state level tournament in my life due to not wanting to use vacation time!

Does "the most memorable" count? I do not know about the best (because I won many local tournaments when I was a kid, with pretty large fields of players, at the university near where I lived), but my most memorable tournament that I ever played in was when I was 14, and took 12th place in a very large 8 ball tournament in St. Louis MO (I lived about 2 hours away, in Southern Illinois), that I had to win a qualifier (in Cape Girardeau MO) to get into. It is memorable, because it was so exciting getting to travel to a tournament in St. Louis at such a young age, and doing so well in it. I remember if I would have won 1 or 2 of my last matches, then I would have been guaranteed 3rd. $280 for 12th place felt like a lot of money to me (as a 14 year old). I remember seeing the huge trophies that were being offered to the top 3 players, and wanting to win one of them so bad. Was actually disappointed that I did not do better. I really wanted one of those trophies. I felt like I did pretty good though, and beat some good players.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have few things I could list, to include titles, victories over champions, high runs, and whatnot.

But nowadays, what really tickles me is beating a guy who thinks you have no biz-a-ness playing him in the first place. Someone who you can tell is just eating their liver as you pull away :)

Lou Figueroa

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha my best accomplishment was beating a girl I had a crush on in the 7th grade after she said she could beat me and would go out with me if I beat her which I did and she turned into my childhood sweetheart heart who I left and moved to Canada and just recently connected with 42 yrs later and still thinks she can beat me lol we've had some great reflections of our past the chain was simply never broken, and it all started by a simple game of pool

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have few things i could list, to include titles, victories over champions, high runs, and whatnot.

But nowadays, what really tickles me is beating a guy who thinks you have no biz-a-ness playing him in the first place. Someone who you can tell is just eating their liver as you pull away :)

lou figueroa

lol

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The Best Win

My greatest accomplishment in pool was the best win I've had. I drew a local world beater in a Friday night event. I break run 3 balls and miss. It was race to 5 9 ball.
4 racks that he controlled later I was down 4 -0. I decided he wasn't going to get a good shot the rest of the time and I controlled the next 5 racks and won 5-4.

To me that was the best thing I've ever done. I conquered the mental game and I know I can if I put my head to it.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Beating you:grin-square:
Jason

JC

Coos Cues
Was playing Oscar at the barbox 10 ball and he was ahead 5-0 in a race to 7 when he started texting. Not just one quick text but it seemed he was done with our match and had moved on to his social life.

My new goal for the match was just to make him put his phone away. At 5-3 I didn't see it any more. When the match was over and I was soundly defeated he did pay me a compliment. He told me he liked my case.

Pool has not been kind to me overall:frown:

JC

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm fortunate to have done many things in pool, and each are super rewarding.

Any more, teaching is my greatest fulfillment going forward.

Writing for InsidePOOL Magazine and doing more than 70 article, mostly on cues and cue makers might be my legacy.

Doing commentary for Pat Fleming at the US Open with Mark Wilson was most definitely a highlight of my commentary career, as was being asked to the CSI Nationals. Retirement here I come.

I think helping Greg Sullivan out with the Louie Roberts Award was one of the funnest and coolest contributions I've had in the pool world.

Player-wise, winning the NH State Amateur 8-ball Championship was big for me, but so was coming back to playing league pool last year after not really being competitive for many years and winning back-to-back season-ending tournaments. Some of the locals pretty much said that I suck, and I'm not that good. They'd be right, but the money went my way.

I don't have the same drive or game I did ten years ago, but it's pretty nice to be back in the swing.

Freddie <~~~ The Cornerman

Reactions: KRJ

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Sure hope I don't break my arm patting myself on the back on this one but.....
In the past six years, I've won the Super Billiards Expo Super Seniors event twice, finished second once, third/fourth once, one did not play and one fifth/eight finish where I had to forfeit due to a conflicting Seniors match. Also finished in the top 64 players in the Open event out of the 1024 entered this year. Beat a few of them youngsters along the way too :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: .

Lyn

Reactions: KRJ

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Sharing the game & passing my love of the game on to my 8yo son. He loves the game and has way more aptitiude for it than I do. I love spending time with him knocking the cue ball around.

2nd Place: My father & I were shooting pool against another team at our local Moose Lodge. On my 1st inning I ran the table, call shot, and pocketed the 8. His buddies were both pissed and impressed...my dad, proud. -Z-

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had an ERO competition with three or four other players several years ago, back in the late 1990's when I played on the VNEA league. I had a total 26, and the closest player to that was 19. I feel this was more of a personal accomplishment than winning 1st place in the Roanoke/Shenandoah Valley 9-Ball Open back in 2005. There were 80-some players, and I got a little cash and a trophy, but it didn't feel as special as the 26 ERO's.

It's hard to pick the "greatest", as there are too many experiences that come to mind. I played a friend some 14.1 because he refused to believe it was a tough game since you can shoot any ball in any pocket. We played to 50. I broke and left a shot, and he ran 11 balls and missed. I ran 56. Next game he broke as best as he could and left a couple of shots. I missed and spread the rack out a bit. He ran 6 or 7 then missed. I finished that rack and the next, and just before I shot the breakout ball for the next rack he quit. Lol. Sometimes giving a good lesson is a great accomplishment!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure hope I don't break my arm patting myself on the back on this one but.....
In the past six years, I've won the Super Billiards Expo Super Seniors event twice, finished second once, third/fourth once, one did not play and one fifth/eight finish where I had to forfeit due to a conflicting Seniors match. Also finished in the top 64 players in the Open event out of the 1024 entered this year. Beat a few of them youngsters along the way too :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: .

Lyn

thats great stuff there hope I even make it to super seniors

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I would rate the folks I have met over the years high on my list of great accomplishments.
I have been lucky enough to meet most of the pros who play or watch the Mosconi cup live thanks to sjm.

Hanging out with Joey A and Hu (ShootingArts) in Buffalo Billiards near NOLA was really cool also.

Having dinner with Bob Jewett and rubbing elbows with Dr Dave in a Denver tourney was very fun.

Getting my butt kicked by Measureman is always a great time.

Having a conversation at a urinal with Buddy Hall was .....weird but memorable.

Being too intimidated to talk to Earl on numerous occasions also sticks in my mind as ....almost agreat accomplishment:eek:

Watching Pink lady talking Michaela Tabb out of her white referee gloves was a fun time.

I'm starting to draw blanks but I know there were many more.:cool: