New Install - what should a novice check/ask for?

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting a new table installed hopefully next week, a Canada Billiards La Condo. I tried doing homework on the dealer, they use their own installer, hopefully made a good choice, but that choice is done.

I've had pool tables off and on over the years but never paid much attention or took it seriously, so have very little knowledge of table assembly, etc.

Is there anything a novice should look for, or ask for, during the delivery and install?

Any things I might be asked to decide on (beyond the obvious of "where does it go) that I need to understand ahead of time?

Again, not asking "what to buy", that ship sailed. And I'm guessing the answer is "it will be what it will be". But thought it worth asking.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I'd get commitment that if any issues arise in the short termfuture, they will be rectified.
I second that motion.

You want pockets that look like this........

*****Not My Work*****

Attachments

• IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Getting a new table installed hopefully next week, a Canada Billiards La Condo. I tried doing homework on the dealer, they use their own installer, hopefully made a good choice, but that choice is done.

I've had pool tables off and on over the years but never paid much attention or took it seriously, so have very little knowledge of table assembly, etc.

Is there anything a novice should look for, or ask for, during the delivery and install?

Any things I might be asked to decide on (beyond the obvious of "where does it go) that I need to understand ahead of time?

Again, not asking "what to buy", that ship sailed. And I'm guessing the answer is "it will be what it will be". But thought it worth asking.

Before you bought the table, were you curious of the pocket opening widths? How about the way the table banks? What kind of cloth did you have installed?

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Make sure they shim the slates on the steel beams if needed and that they check for crowning along the seams when screwing them down ( they might need to shim on the crossmembers too)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Also, every pockets should fit behind the facings

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
There's a bevel on the slate radius so the plumber's piping would look kinda funny..

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the total delivered set up price? This could give us an indication of the quality to expect. Is it closer to $1000 or $5000?

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Id get commitment that if any issues arise in the short termfuture, they will be rectified.

Yes, we had the whole warranty discussion, and was assured as best I can be until we see how they respond.

I second that motion.

You want pockets that look like this........

*****Not My Work*****

It is beautiful, I take it the key is lack of wrinkles or visible stresses?

Before you bought the table, were you curious of the pocket opening widths? How about the way the table banks? What kind of cloth did you have installed?

I do not know enough to ask, much less judge the pocket question. I have read a bit about it, and table difficulty factor, and such, but as to what it will be (and whether the installer has any control over it), or whether I should request something, no clue.

The cloth is Simonis, they said which one but I can't find it right now other than "Tournament".

Make sure they shim the slates on the steel beams if needed and that they check for crowning along the seams when screwing them down ( they might need to shim on the crossmembers too)

That makes sense, and I saw those nice heavy steel beams already when we looked at it.

Also, every pockets should fit behind the facings
The facing is the cloth covered tapered bumper that leads to the pocket? So no no leather sticking out on a line leading into the pocket?

Thank you for both.

So they aren't likely to ask something like "how tight do you want the cloth" or "do you want the undercoating to prevent rust for an extra $200". :D

Tell them you're a player, not a banger. Maybe the installers will do a better job for you?

No point in pretending, as then I'll say something silly; had to look up what they even mean. I'd rather be good at being ignorant than bad at being wise, I think.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the total delivered set up price? This could give us an indication of the quality to expect. Is it closer to $1000 or $5000?

Oh it's much more than that, I'd rather not say here, but my wife insisted on a nice piece of furniture, and I wanted 9', so let's just say it will make playing difficult that I had to give up an arm and a leg.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have your buddy, the one who knows the most about pool tables, to be there with you when they install it.......

edit - in my situation, they tightened the rail bolts with power tools, and stripped the rail bolts :(
also on my table, the shelf of one pocket is much deeper than the others.....thoroughly inspect the table before they leave...getting them to "come back later" to fix something is always difficult.

Last edited:

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh it's much more than that, I'd rather not say here, but my wife insisted on a nice piece of furniture, and I wanted 9', so let's just say it will make playing difficult that I had to give up an arm and a leg.

Yeah, I wouldn't ask such silly questions here if I knew anyone who knew anything about pool tables.

Obviously I've been hanging around the wrong sort of crowd.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you pay/paid for Simonis or other quality fast cloth, be sure they install it. Had a buddy ask for Simonis and when the people brought his table to set it up they used a cloth that they said was "better" than Simonis, with some sort of Scotchgard stain protection in it. I went to his house after work and we hit a few balls. The first ball I banked slid about 3 ft across the table, and I didn't shoot firm. We noticed every ball doing this off the cushions. I told my friend a little sliding is normal with new cloth, but nothing to this extent. A week later, after several days playing, it hadn't changed. He called the installation company up and they told him they had played a game or two and didn't notice anything unusual. I know the guys that did his install, and they are not pool players. They are furniture salesmen. They know how to put it together, and that's about it. I was dealing in billiard supplies then, so I ordered him Simonis cloth and installed it myself. That resolved the weird sliding problem. Anyway, just make sure you get what you ask for and don't accept any substitutes.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
If you got it from robertson they usually order the rails covered from the factory with your choice of cloth

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you got it from robertson they usually order the rails covered from the factory with your choice of cloth

I did. And I'm not worried too much about scams, as they have been around a very long time and I can't find anything bad written about them, which either implies invisibility or integrity in today's internet.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I did. And I'm not worried too much about scams, as they have been around a very long time and I can't find anything bad written about them, which either implies invisibility or integrity in today's internet.

Brand name of cloth shows on the underside of the rails.
Check for the name before the rails are bolted down.