Warning label on a players cue I just purchased. "MAY CAUSE CANCER.."???

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably.

There are probably some ingredients in the finish and/or in the finely sanded particles of the wood that could, in a concentrated form if ingested long enough, cause some type of cancer.

I forget the name, but a cue maker did die from exposure to the chemicals in cue finishes, this was in the last few years. Isn't cocobolo and other woods in the rose wood family capable of putting out some toxic dust?

That being said, we also live in the age of "lawyer proofing" every thing imaginable and California with it's countless rules and regulations and "elitist think tanks" leads the world in that area.

After about 60 years of exposure to gun cleaning chemicals I finally started wearing throw away rubber gloves when using them. I hope that does not mean I am turning into a "progressive".

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Geez, I come here to avoid the political BS in NPR. Leave this over there, please

The only reason that stupid label is on the shaft is because of politics!, the stupid over-reaching politics that is forced into every aspect of the lives of anyone living in California. God forbid one should put that shaft on a cue made with ivory or Indian rosewood in California. Everyone would be running for a damn safe place.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
The only reason that stupid label is on the shaft is because of politics!, the stupid over-reaching politics that is forced into every aspect of the lives of anyone living in California. God forbid one should put that shaft on a cue made with ivory or Indian rosewood in California. Everyone would be running for a damn safe place.

I don't live in California, it looks like you don't live in California. No poison shafts here in
Colorado, likely none in Louisiana, or at least none that ether of us will eat.
I say we just let it go, let the Californians worry about it. What do you say?

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't live in California, it looks like you don't live in California. No poison shafts here in
Colorado, likely none in Louisiana, or at least none that ether of us will eat.
I say we just let it go, let the Californians worry about it. What do you say?

I have no choice. Seems, once again, my humor isn't getting past my keyboard.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have no choice. Seems, once again, my humor isn't getting past my keyboard.

Yes, this can be a humorless place.
Perhaps your humor is just a little to sophisticated for lowly pool players?

Either way, I think you're a funny guy.
If we're ever in Las Vegas at the same time I'd like to be the one to get you started on your hangover,
Cocktails at Frankies? or beers at the Atomic? First couple are on me

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just guessing here but i'd bet that has to do with the finish. A lot of finish/paints are REALLY bad if you breathe or ingest them. Unless you're going to smoke or eat your cue i wouldn't worry about it.

Let's not forget that it isn't usually the finish itself that is toxic, but more the volatile solution used to keep the finish in liquid form until applied to the cue. Once that carrier solution has evaporated the finish leftover is inert. I don't know of any studies where they ingest the actual dried cue finish (although I'm sure it has been done), be it polyurethane or lacquer or whatever, but I'd be more concerned with long, long term inhalation exposure to the volatile chemical compared to the dried finish on the cue.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a players cue and the shaft had a warning label that said: (paraphrasing) " This product contains chemicals that in the state in california have found to cause cancer and birth defects."

Does anyone know anything about this? Would these chemicals cause this by skin contact, ingestion...or is this more of a CYOB kind of disclaimer? I've never heard of a cue causing cancer or birth defects.

Stay out of California with your cue or you will end up in a segment of Locked Up Abroad and end up in a Peruvian prison.